DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
0 members and 558 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Paint your own Helmet?
Unread
  (#1)
Groundhogs can play dead

Paint your own Helmet? - July 3, 2006, 01:50 PM

Let's say I want to paint my own design on my helmet. I can't spray-paint for crap and don't have money to blow on paying someone else to paint it. And I really don't need a new helmet... so... which paint should I use (I'd like to use brush-on paint)?
Car touch-up paint?
Any oil-based paint from a hobby shop?
Has anyone done this on here?

Thanks!

Also, I found this, but it's for mountain bike helmet.... it should work, right?
http://archive.mtbr.com/06/0EE7DEFE.php
All of the advice given so far is correct. Use denatured alcohol to clean it first. DO NOT use strong solvents like kerosene, gasoline, turpentine, etc. This may sound obvious, but I put it here only to keep you from ruining your helmet if you didn't know. Next scuff sand the areas you intend to paint using 600 grit, or the entire helmet if you're doing it all. Clean again with alcohol. Prime the helmet with primer that is made for the type of paint you will be using. Mask off the helmet using masking tape (duh) and paper, following your design. Cover ALL areas not to be painted- an airbrush will get paint into places you wouldn't expect. Do one color area at a time, remask, and do the next. Depending on the design complexity this could take a long time. Even a simple design will take several hours to do right. As for paint, a hobby store can hook you up with everything you need. Basically you will use plastic model paint, which is enamel. If you haven't used the airbrush much, I can't stress enough the importance of practicing first if you want a professional looking job. There are lots of books on airbrushing too.It looks easy, but these are much harder to use well than a paintbrush.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
singin sweet home alabama

July 3, 2006, 01:59 PM

curious... you want to brush paint it? So you're not concerned with seeing brush strokes?

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#3)
Knarly Adventurer

July 3, 2006, 02:06 PM

Hey finch... this may not be the route you want to go, but have you seen the helmet kits at www.tapeworks.com
May be easier then painting and you can get a good custom look, but always have the option to change.
Just a thought
Also... if are going to paint something yourself and need a hand let me know. I have a lot of experience with that. If you have a good and steady hand you can get very good results from the small cans of car touch-up or a quality hobby paint. When I was younger I used to do custom RC car bodies.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Groundhogs can play dead

July 3, 2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks, guys....
And yeah, I don't mind there being brush strokes. It doesn't need to be perfect, just personalized. It's a flat grey Shoei, so no matter what I do to it, it'll look more exciting than it does now.

Tanya
Unread
  (#5)
Pleased to meet me

July 3, 2006, 02:12 PM

I know very little about it but prep work is 90% of the job. If you change your mind and go the spray route, you will be surprised what you can do with rattle can. Eastwood is a great place for paint stuff. I’ve used them for all kinds of things ranging from tools to buffing compounds.

I’d say get some of the thin tape (see link) and make a funky design. Use a few different colors, clear coat it and rock on.

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&lbc=eastwood&uid=648834995&ts=custom&w= paint%20tape&af=c3_masking&isort=score&method=and

I’ve got an old red flaked open face Arai that I was going to donate to a buddy for his painting practice. It’s still sitting around somewhere and if you want a guinea pig.
Unread
  (#6)
Groundhogs can play dead

July 3, 2006, 02:15 PM

PS: I can't seem to find the helmets section of tapeworks, but I found some other decal places. Most of them are $60-$100!
PPS: My plan is to paint one "thing" on my helmet. Not a scene, just one focal point... Like a tattoo for my helmet.

(yeah, I'm really F-ing bored today)

Tanya
Unread
  (#7)
Groundhogs can play dead

July 3, 2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
I know very little about it but prep work is 90% of the job. If you change your mind and go the spray route, you will be surprised what you can do with rattle can. Eastwood is a great place for paint stuff. Iíve used them for all kinds of things ranging from tools to buffing compounds.

Iíd say get some of the thin tape (see link) and make a funky design. Use a few different colors, clear coat it and rock on.

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&lbc=eastwood&uid=648834995&ts=custom&w= paint%20tape&af=c3_masking&isort=score&method=and

Iíve got an old red flaked open face Arai that I was going to donate to a buddy for his painting practice. Itís still sitting around somewhere and if you want a guinea pig.

Thank you, very much! You may be right, spraying might be a better idea... it depends on how many times I change my mind on what I want. And I still have my old helmet (probably has groundhog fur in it) to practice with.... knowing me, I probably won't practice, I'll just make it work.. heh.

Tanya
Unread
  (#8)
Knarly Adventurer

July 3, 2006, 02:25 PM

A tattoo hu?
Maybe you should paint a trucker mudflap naked lady... that would be a sweet tattoo!
haha

If you don't want brush marks then a spray can is the way to go. Just remember the prep work is everything. You need to scuff the surface (400 grit sandpaper) and use a primer. Something like a flaming sun is easy to do with like three colors and you can have fun blending them. Use a high-quality "long mask" (that's the blue tape" and plan on a coat or two of clear to protect it.
Unread
  (#9)
Track Ho

July 3, 2006, 03:08 PM

what?....finchy is gettin a lower back tatoo?

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#10)
Groundhogs can play dead

July 3, 2006, 05:37 PM

No lower back tattoo for finchy. Everyone else has them already. I'm going hard-core and getting a helmet tattoo!!

Tanya
Unread
  (#11)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
July 3, 2006, 06:15 PM

Finchy Testors makes an airbrush kit for 30 bucks or so. Comes with airbrush hose cleaning stuff some good easy to follow directions and, a can of air. You can get more cans of air for pretty cheap.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#12)
It's all good..

July 3, 2006, 06:59 PM

I used Krylon...once, came out good, matched perfectly, but died on me.
I have the 30 dollar airbrush you can have, I used it for a model of my busa and haven't used it since. Jus lemme know.. Good Luck, Tanya!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 187639079RTjTJT_ph.jpg (19.1 KB, 7 views)

Paul J
03 Busa
08 150R sumo
10 SXV 550
06 GSX-R1000

dprams1 "Really guy, really, you strapped your bike to the top of your car. Wow, wow, really"

Stillie: "The day you get on motard is the day you write of society as a whole. They are the ones living incomplete. Fuck them. "

PSN: paulj70

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009

http://www.rememberinggregwalker.com/index.html
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to UUBusa Send a message via AIM to UUBusa  
Unread
  (#13)
Groundhogs can play dead

July 3, 2006, 09:51 PM

what do you mean it died on you? the helmet? the paint?

Tanya
Unread
  (#14)
It's all good..

July 4, 2006, 07:14 AM

It went dull, looked like I melted a crayon over it or something....cheap

Paul J
03 Busa
08 150R sumo
10 SXV 550
06 GSX-R1000

dprams1 "Really guy, really, you strapped your bike to the top of your car. Wow, wow, really"

Stillie: "The day you get on motard is the day you write of society as a whole. They are the ones living incomplete. Fuck them. "

PSN: paulj70

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009

http://www.rememberinggregwalker.com/index.html
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to UUBusa Send a message via AIM to UUBusa  
Unread
  (#15)
BOHICA

July 4, 2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
No lower back tattoo for finchy. Everyone else has them already. I'm going hard-core and getting a helmet tattoo!!

Okay, getting my head out of the gutter, I'm thinking your best bet is going with a airbrush kit for models. And see if you can get a can of clearcoat from krylon or something to help seal it. But also look into prepping the helmet (*chuckle*) to ensure that the paint sticks.

'05 SV
'05 SSR 125 SB-A
'98 Impreza RS

Member of the 72% Club
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to AJ711