DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 193
7 members and 186 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, gvr4wd, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider, tpadden
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Powerlet RapidFIRe Heated Glove Liners
Unread
  (#1)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
Powerlet RapidFIRe Heated Glove Liners - January 8, 2013, 09:48 AM

So like many people in the DMV the end of November beginning of December usually marks the absolute end of my riding season. This year I decided to see just how much further I could push it.

With that in mind I had already picked up some Joe Rocket pants and a Tourmaster jacket at Coleman's on sale. Both of those have been working like champs making those early morning commutes into DC on the R6 very comfy. Hell the first day I put on them on I had to stop at a gas station and take out the liner for the jacket because I was sweating after 5 minutes riding. Despite all my comfy cozy feelings and new love of winter riding a part of me that was still suffering was my hands....specifically my finger tips. The winter riding gloves a friend gave me are great but after about 15 minutes with no wind protection my hands were still suffering. With this in mind I started looking at possible warming solutions.

So last Friday as I wondered the aisles of the International Motorcycle show I came across Nick Plenzick Enterprises booth and ended up picking up a pair of Powerlet FIR Heated glove liners. The guys in the booth had me try out the display they had set up and after going back and forth about sizing I went with the S/M. It felt weird buying that size but they pointed out since it is a liner it has to fit under my regular gloves so even though I am usually a L/XL in gloves I decided to listen to the voice of experience (or at least the voice of good salesmanship).

In terms of install it really get no easier than this. Pop the seat, attach the black lead to the negative post, attach the red lead to the positive post, run the plug to an easily accessible point on the bike and button her back up.

*Note: The included instructions are out of date. The LED that is supposed to come on when/if you did things right and the controller is hooked up properly does not always come on. Also, when turning it on the first time press and hold the green button for 2 - 5 seconds. After the first time you just press the green but for about 1 - 2 seconds. I learned this after calling Nick Plenzick and leaving a message. He got back to me in about 5 minutes and let me know about the instruction snafu.

All that done I got up this morning, put my gear on and I have to say, skeptically followed their advice to just put on the glove liners and my regular summer gloves (Rev 'It Monster). As a back up I threw my winter gloves in my back pack since they obviously know not of what they speak.

After my 25 minute ride in this morning I have to say this is some of the best money I have spent. The entire ride I kept expecting to have to pull over and switch gloves or at least turn the gloves up to high but it never happened. The guys at the show kept saying I will probably never go above 3 on the control and they were right. 3 was the perfect setting for the mornings chilly conditions.

My hands stayed nice and warm the entire ride and better yet I never felt like this were getting to hot. The best word to describe the ride in (gloves/liner wise) is comfortable. So I guess the end result would be a hearty thumbs up on these glove liners, money well spent and riding season extended!

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

January 8, 2013, 10:39 AM

On my wish list.

-Nate
'15 R1200GS
'13 HP4
'08 YZF-R6
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

January 8, 2013, 10:48 AM

i've got very sensitive hands/fingers to cold where it gets painful. I was going to pick up a pair of Gerbings T2s (Their hybrid battery/powered 12v) gloves. They had my size but didn't have the batteries for the gloves so I didn't make the purchase. At least I got the sizing right, but after riding last winter my hands were the only thing that made it very uncomfortable so heated gloves are a must for me.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
January 8, 2013, 11:01 AM

Like I said, money well spent. I was not sure if it was going to be worth it but I figured all the other winter gear was working out so well, why not. Now I wonder what the hell I was waiting for. Suddenly all those bikes I used to see in the middle of winter and swear they were nuts.....now I am that guy.....and loving it.

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#5)
No more 1050 :(

January 8, 2013, 11:01 AM

Have been looking at heated grips/ gloves lately for the winters up here... My summer gloves fit my hands snug though, so there wouldn't be room underneath them for these.

Still need to get my bikes up here too... might want to do that first.
Unread
  (#6)
Signed up for Track Days!

January 11, 2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the review. I've been interested in these after reading about the Gerbings liners online. Apparently they have a construction where a wire runs over the knuckle and can be uncomfortable inside a glove. I saw these online and was pleasantly surprised to see them at the IMC. I tried on the L/XL and the S/M. The L/XL felt good but the guy recommended a S/M which were too short for my fingers. They'd probably break under my gloves. I'm going to keep sticking it out this winter w/o them (tough in this 60 degree winter weather, I know...) but next winter I'll get them for sure.
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

January 11, 2013, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the review. Looks like I'll be picking up a pair of these soon. On a related note, does anyone make heated gear that can plug into the battery tender connector that's already on your bike? Less wires hanging on to the battery terminals seems like a good idea.
Unread
  (#8)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

January 12, 2013, 04:16 AM

Good to hear!

I've always used Venture heated gear (thanks to Rick and the team at RnR), the latest gloves I picked up from them offer a builtin heat controller that you can adjust via a button on top of the left glove. Super easy to operate, ridiculously warm on high, and very comfortable.

I've used liners in the past though always felt the need to combine them with grip heaters for the best comfort and while liners offer a little more flexibility I find that heated gloves themselves ultimately work better. Regardless, anything helping to keep your hands warm during a cold ride is worth owning.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

January 12, 2013, 07:01 AM

Everyone I know who has purchased heated gear kick themselves in the ass afterwards, for waiting so long.
Unread
  (#10)
Toe Dragger

January 12, 2013, 08:19 AM

We sell Powerlet out here, and for some reason we have sold a ton of it this year.. Those glove liners are magic warm goodness..

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....