DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 146
5 members and 141 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Deep, GRN96WS6, MPSniper, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
probably old...Textile vs. Leather
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Lightbulb probably old...Textile vs. Leather - May 11, 2009, 04:43 PM

I went to a cycle shop today looking for a jacket. I really want a leather jacket b/c it gives the most protection however the one i tried on fit perfectly EXCEPT the sleeves were too long so the pads were on my forearm instead of my elbow. On the other hand i tried on a textile jacket where the sleeves fit and there were snaps around the elbow pads to keep them in place. She said that there were guys that she worked with who crashed at 90 MPH in textile and they were fine. I'm not going to be going anywhere near 90MPH any time soon. Plus since i'm a girl if you get things to fit in one place they're usually bigger in others lol. So my question is should i go with textile or get the leather and figure out a way to keep the pads on my elbows
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG - screw face

May 11, 2009, 04:55 PM

FWIW, my JR leather jacket...the elbow pads start just behind the elbow and actually do extend a lil down the forearm...obviously not all the way to the wrist...but a good ways down and the jacket fits perfectly. I think the same is for my leather Teknic 1 piece...did you actually have zero% of the pads actually on your elbow?

but to answer your question: always get the gear that fits the best baggy or ill-fitting gear is a no no.

Last edited by Oneway; May 11, 2009 at 04:57 PM..
Unread
  (#3)

May 11, 2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
FWIW, my JR leather jacket...the elbow pads start just behind the elbow and actually do extend a lil down the forearm...obviously not all the way to the wrist...but a good ways down and the jacket fits perfectly. I think the same is for my leather Teknic 1 piece...did you actually have zero% of the pads actually on your elbow?

but to answer your question: always get the gear that fits the best baggy or ill-fitting gear is a no no.
I think a little bit of the pads were on my elbow but she could move the sleeve and pad up and down on my arm and she said that she shouldn't be able to do that
Unread
  (#4)
TPG - screw face

May 11, 2009, 05:10 PM

ah...and she is correct. Don't forget about Lizzy Leather - i hear alot of females take their stuff there and get it altered and are very happy with it.

leather vs textile: leather is best, textile is well, the next best thing. Textile is best in heat (if the leather jacket has no vents) but both offer great protection, regardless as long as you don't get a cheapo brand or stuff that is single stitched...did that once...FAIL lol. You can even try to find jackets that are leather/textile mixed. Those are great too...I used to have one. It was leather on the shoulders and top of the back and on the elbows/forearms - and textile everywhere else.

Last edited by Oneway; May 11, 2009 at 05:15 PM..
Unread
  (#5)

May 11, 2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
ah...and she is correct. Don't forget about Lizzy Leather - i hear alot of females take their stuff there and get it altered and are very happy with it.

leather vs textile: leather is best, textile is well, the next best thing. Textile is best in heat (if the leather jacket has no vents) but both offer great protection, regardless as long as you don't get a cheapo brand or stuff that is single stitched...did that once...FAIL lol. You can even try to find jackets that are leather/textile mixed. Those are great too...I used to have one. It was leather on the shoulders and top of the back and on the elbows/forearms - and textile everywhere else.
You made me feel better lol. I just want to be safe. im scared enough as it is but if i go down i atleast want to know that i'm protected. What are some good brands? I heard don't go with Joe Rocket
Unread
  (#6)
TPG - screw face

May 11, 2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRGirl View Post
You made me feel better lol. I just want to be safe. im scared enough as it is but if i go down i atleast want to know that i'm protected. What are some good brands? I heard don't go with Joe Rocket
and in turn you make me feel like crap nah but I've owned 2 Joe Rocket jackets and both were totally awesome. The one I currently have (all leather with vents) is totally awesome and crash tested plenty of times....no rips/tears/holes...no buttons/snaps ripped off or zippers broken.

the "best brand" question is really rider preference...some swear by Icon...some swear by Alpinestars...some swear by Joe Rocket etc etc etc.

If i was forced to pick a brand..that's readily available at ur local shops...I'd prolly say Alpinestars....it's just way to pricey for me..same with Icon. I've never worn anything other than Joe Rocket and Teknic (my 1 piece suit) and I love them both. If you wanted to be super technical, you can check the millimeter thickness of the leather used and make ur decisions from that...granted - thicker leather will usually cost'ya more quap

Last edited by Oneway; May 11, 2009 at 05:44 PM..
Unread
  (#7)

Unhappy May 11, 2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
and in turn you make me feel like crap nah but I've owned 2 Joe Rocket jackets and both were totally awesome. The one I currently have (all leather with vents) is totally awesome and crash tested plenty of times....no rips/tears/holes...no buttons/snaps ripped off or zippers broken.

the "best brand" question is really rider preference...some swear by Icon...some swear by Alpinestars...some swear by Joe Rocket etc etc etc.

If i was forced to pick a brand..that's readily available at ur local shops...I'd prolly say Alpinestars....it's just way to pricey for me..same with Icon. I've never worn anything other than Joe Rocket and Teknic (my 1 piece suit) and I love them both. If you wanted to be super technical, you can check the millimeter thickness of the leather used and make ur decisions from that...granted - thicker leather will usually cost'ya more quap
my bad lol i did see some joe rocket jackets that i liked but ive been told not to go with them. If tyhey've been crash tested and they're still holding up then obviosly they're doing their job lol
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

May 11, 2009, 06:54 PM

The joe rocket phoenix mesh jacket is a pretty good summer jacket for the money. With any jacket, you should make sure the armor is either CE certified or that you can get certified armor to fit into it.

I'm very happy with the Cortech Air 2, but it wasn't cheap.

http://www.newenough.com/browse/view...ct_images/2448

They make one for chicks:

http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/624

Cortech and FirstGear are good brands to go with for textile stuff. Some people might tell you that you have to wear leather all the time. It's the best but if you suffer in it during the summer, then that is a consideration too. Honestly, I cannot face the thought of going out at 2 pm on a hot sunny day in anything but my mesh jacket unless it's a weekend and I'm hitting the twisties. In town, leather just doesn't work for me in the summer.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#9)
Lets Ride!!!

May 11, 2009, 06:54 PM

I have never crash tested leather or textile, but I remember reading the cornerspeed (or maybe roger lyle..not sure) rules and it said that no textile anything would be allowed. I can only assume that it is because of the protection factor and that leather is much better in an accident.

As for Joe Rocket---I have had mine now for two years and love it. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is one button on my sleeve where it snaps over my wrist fell off. The good thing about JR gear is that most of it is interchangeable (example: I can use my sonic 2.0 jacket with their blaster series pants which would make that a 2 piece suit for under $450)

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
Unread
  (#10)
TPG Bannings: III

May 11, 2009, 07:38 PM

I have crash tested both, they both did pretty well in similar circumstances, but the leather slid much better softening that immediate BOOM of a stop in motion. If you can swing it, stick to leather, you can get perforated leather that breathes quite nicely, I wear my two peice in hot and cold weather, never an issue.

That being said, when I'm just tooling around town, I wear a textile jacket.
Unread
  (#11)
Magic Carpet Ride

May 11, 2009, 08:58 PM

Whoever told you that textile will hold up and protect you in a 90mph crash is not ony irresponsible, but completely full of $hit!!! I wrecked wearing a heavy-duty Tourmaster textile jacket at about 20mph, slid only about 10 - 20 feet on dirt and grass (not even concrete) and my arm was completely torn up. Mind you, the jacket did not tear, but my skin DID suffer major abrasions underneath the jacket. This was not a "mesh" jacket, but a "1680 Denier Ballistic Polyester" textile jacket.

Don't believe what some moron in a store with no real crash experience who is trying to sell you a jacket says. The ONLY thing that will really protect your skin from major abrasion if you go down is leather...period. If there' anyone on this board who has wrecked wearing textile, slid along the ground for any distance and not suffered major abrasion, please speak up and share your story.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

May 11, 2009, 09:22 PM

get both. you can never have too much gear.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050