DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
4 members and 554 guests
CCS762ZX6, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Riding Jeans discussion
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

Riding Jeans discussion - April 13, 2006, 12:30 AM

Last year I remember people asking about riding jeans. Anyone buy any? Can ya list Pro's and Con's? How do they fit? Which ones fit better than other? Made better than others? I remember Icon made some...Were they any good? Links, pictures, articles and personal experience would be appreciated! Especially if a certain brand fits a certain type of person better..FOr example, bigger persons....Skinny....yadda...yadda...

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
noise

April 13, 2006, 12:37 AM

I don't have riding jeans BUT will suggest you get armored shorts and wear it under. It's not noticeable under the jeans and could save you some bruising.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Owner & Creator

April 13, 2006, 12:51 AM

i think riding jeans will still rip, or get real hot sinec they won't rip through.
Unread
  (#4)
Jeez If You Love Honkus

April 13, 2006, 11:47 AM

MCN did a comparison a couple years ago of leather gear, padded/armored textile gear, and those 'Draggin' Jeans' with the sewn-in kevlar panels at the knees & butt.

IIRC their conclusion was that the Draggin' Jeans resist abrasion better than plain old Levi's or Wrangers; but other than that they don't do much to protect your bod in a getoff and really weren't worth the cost.
Unread
  (#5)
DFL

April 13, 2006, 01:39 PM

I have a pair of Draggin' Jeans. They're ok, but they seem to get pretty toasty in warm weather riding. If I had to do it all over again I think I would do what Static mentioned and get some kind of armored shorts. Luckily I've never had to test their abrasion resistance, but they seem like they would hold up well.

*edit
Guess I should mention that I wouldn't recommend them for the price.

"They should have sent a poet"

Last edited by norm-rvt; April 13, 2006 at 02:00 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Typical Stripper

April 13, 2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch
MCN did a comparison a couple years ago of leather gear, padded/armored textile gear, and those 'Draggin' Jeans' with the sewn-in kevlar panels at the knees & butt.

IIRC their conclusion was that the Draggin' Jeans resist abrasion better than plain old Levi's or Wrangers; but other than that they don't do much to protect your bod in a getoff and really weren't worth the cost.
They dont work well for "thin" folks....

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
ATTN INVESTORS!

April 13, 2006, 02:01 PM

I don't know anyone thats used them but Icon has their whole field armor line. Shorts, back/chest, leg/knee, arm/shoulder. All could be worn under jackets, pants, etc. I've thought about checking them out but I'd like to hear some feedback from actual owners before hand.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#8)
BOHICA

April 13, 2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoniz
I don't know anyone thats used them but Icon has their whole field armor line. Shorts, back/chest, leg/knee, arm/shoulder. All could be worn under jackets, pants, etc. I've thought about checking them out but I'd like to hear some feedback from actual owners before hand.
I'm leaning heavily towards these options for protection under my normal riding jeans. As Nate mentioned, the Draggin' Jeans and the like don't work well for "skinny" people, and I'm certainly one of them.

I'm taking a look at NewEnough's body armor section for ideas on under clothing things I can use for extra protection.

I'd certainly like to go full leather at somepoint. But for casual riding and commuting to work, I'd rather wear my jeans I've got now and add the extra peace of mind that the knee and armored shorts would provide.

'05 SV
'05 SSR 125 SB-A
'98 Impreza RS

Member of the 72% Club
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to AJ711  
Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

April 13, 2006, 02:35 PM

I have a pair of icon street jeans, wore em twice. They are thicker, triple thick in the knees and butt and have vents too. I liked em. Don't wear them much.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#10)
Knee Draggin!

April 14, 2006, 05:56 AM

Had the original Draggin Jeans. Tightest pair of jeans I owned. Come fairly high up as well.
Got a pair of Draggin Jeans utility. Wanted a looser fit. They are much looser.
From what I remember when I was looking Draggin Jeans had kevlar in more areas than the Icon or Joe Rocket.
They do/did have an AMA discount.
Not good..
Unread
  (#11)
Adicted to speeding tixs

Unhappy Not good.. - April 14, 2006, 07:06 AM

Ask my knee about those Jeans... ouch
btw, I'm new to this forum
Unread
  (#12)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 14, 2006, 07:16 AM

I'm a girl, so your mileage may vary. I picked up some Joe Rocket ballistic mesh jeans (with padding in the knees and hips). They're easy on, easy off and they don't look all chunky and bulky like most riding jeans I've seen. They'll be cooler come summer, but I can wear them over my jeans and not look like a doofus when I take them off in public (long zippers up the legs).

They make armored shorts?

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#13)
Super Moderator

April 16, 2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
I have a pair of icon street jeans, wore em twice. They are thicker, triple thick in the knees and butt and have vents too. I liked em. Don't wear them much.
Why dont you wear them much?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#14)
noise

April 16, 2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
I'm a girl, so your mileage may vary. I picked up some Joe Rocket ballistic mesh jeans (with padding in the knees and hips). They're easy on, easy off and they don't look all chunky and bulky like most riding jeans I've seen. They'll be cooler come summer, but I can wear them over my jeans and not look like a doofus when I take them off in public (long zippers up the legs).

They make armored shorts?
I was looking at those but prices are still too high for me... I'd wear them over jeans or similar...

Bohn makes armored shorts and the padding is extra thick...and not the cheap dual density foam stuff.

Sorry site is www.actionstation.com

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."

Last edited by static; April 16, 2006 at 08:36 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
This Ain't My First Time!

May 18, 2006, 11:06 PM

Knew a guy that had a get off in the Icon Jeans and the streatch blu peice above the knee ripped open and he still got rash. I have a pair of Draggin Jeans and they inspire confidence. They have pads that are CE approved that velcro to the kevlar in the knee. Have not had a get off in them, but i like my chances if I do. Don't want to test that theory though.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to