DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 498
2 members and 496 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Scorpion EXO-500, my long review
Unread
  (#1)
noise

Scorpion EXO-500, my long review - June 2, 2011, 07:43 PM

Waited a while until I've had a few miles (200) on it to give my opinion.

Decently priced midline helmet.

Nice inner visor that works quite well, fog free on both sides. Main shield is spring loaded to seal against weatherstrip, can definitely tell there's a fogfree coating on the inside.

Air pump system behind the cheek pads, lol, always reminds me of the Reebok system! Works real nice to dial in cheek fitment. I always keep forgetting to release the air before removing helmet

Graphics are nicely laid out, probably the best in the lineup so far imho.

Built in spoiler does its job well. Chin curtain is a much better design than their previous offerings imho, actually comes across the chin like Shoei, Shark, etc. etc.

It being ECE certified, comes real close to the weight of my previous RF-1100, but feels light when worn even after hours of riding.

Liner is perfect for those hot humid days, dries real fast as well. Design on this one is a plus, compliments the graphics outside.

Wear a communication system, no problem, deep ear pockets to accomodate speakers for bluetooth or radios...

Cut outs for those that wear glasses.

Overall, I like this, especially for the price that places offer. I did purchase the dark inner visor to replace the light smoke that is installed out of the box.

PITA, trying not to break or seem like I would break removing and installing the inner visor! Seriously, maybe after practice but NOT going thru that again! Dark it is...

Venting... looks like a cool design with deep channels inside...BUT after wearing the X-11, Bell Star, RF-1100, RSR2... It doesn't compare, now it does decent I would guess since I'm very used to the X-11... better than the HJC FS-15.

Only bummer was when the sun came out after humidity levels rose to 91%, I decided to lower the inner visor only to find it hazy to hell and didn't clear until we stopped for breakfast... Maybe heat from my noggin coupled with the humidity? This was after an hour into a ride... Dunno...very annoying expecting the same fogfree level from the main shield. Other than that, love the inner visor, only thing better would the photochromatic for the Bell helmets.

Great helmet imho...!

Pics... excuse the crappy phone shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0411.jpg (517.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0412.jpg (511.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0413.jpg (516.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0414.jpg (526.8 KB, 127 views)

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."

Last edited by static; June 2, 2011 at 07:46 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ni Hao Ma, Bitches!

June 2, 2011, 08:43 PM

how loud (or not loud) is the helmet at speeds? My 2nd Shark helmet has been plenty loud...even with ear plugs

2006 Husqvarna 510sm
2006 Honda 919
1995 Ducati MOnster 900 - sold
2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 Track Bike - sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lemond Send a message via AIM to lemond Send a message via MSN to lemond  
Unread
  (#3)
Silence... I keeeel you

June 3, 2011, 12:37 AM

So it's like the 1000 with the inflatable pads, inner shield, and included chin shield?

It looks like the vents are different.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#4)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

June 3, 2011, 12:57 AM

They must have changed the lineup a bit, because it used to be that the 1000 was the only one with inflatable cheekpads.

Oh yeah, and the haters will arrive soon, lol. A lot of folks have hated on these helmets in the past.
Unread
  (#5)
Silence... I keeeel you

June 3, 2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaS View Post
They must have changed the lineup a bit, because it used to be that the 1000 was the only one with inflatable cheekpads.

Oh yeah, and the haters will arrive soon, lol. A lot of folks have hated on these helmets in the past.
The Arai, Shoei, etc lovers will hate.

I love my scorpion helmets. I have crash tested them and they have proved themselves to me.

Looks like the difference between the 500 and 1000 is the shell. The 1000 is a fiberglass and the 500 is a polycarbonate.

What's funny is the differences in opinion on which one is better in a crash.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#6)
noise

June 3, 2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemond View Post
how loud (or not loud) is the helmet at speeds? My 2nd Shark helmet has been plenty loud...even with ear plugs
With ear plugs, this isn't as loud as the HJC FS-15. Hard to tell my bike has A&R baffles which makes it loud no matter what I do, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
So it's like the 1000 with the inflatable pads, inner shield, and included chin shield?

It looks like the vents are different.
Weight is a huge difference comparing to the 1000 and thinking about it, this 500 feels lighter than my RF-1100 both by hand and when worn.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#7)
someone adopt a newb

June 3, 2011, 07:07 AM

Great review, thanks.

Originally Posted by vonstallin
That shit is like wearing a condom your whole life while living in DC, but going to brazil and going bare back with all the chicks because they look better.

derilict:
So next time you feel the need to prove to the world that you should have been euthanized as a child, do it in someone else's thread.

"No such thing as to pretty to ride. The prettier they are the harder you should ride them. This is also true when it comes to woman." Nubbs

Thank you,

Management

2006 SV650: RIP
1982 Yamaha XJ650: Went old school, but moving on
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#8)
need more knee down

June 3, 2011, 01:56 PM

nice review, i'd like to upgrade from my 400 and was lookin at the 700 and 500 since they new joints.....

crashed in my old 400 and it saved my dome piece from 3 hard hits so i was sold.

~Lou
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#9)
kin
Batman wants my bike

June 3, 2011, 05:32 PM

might look into this, thanks for the review.

06 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kin  
Unread
  (#10)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

June 5, 2011, 11:11 AM

i liked the 1000 bc it fit my head well, but it was too heavy and the limited line of sight bothered me. How would you compare the line of view with the 1000? Considering that the 500 is lighter i may have to give it a try again...
Unread
  (#11)
noise

June 6, 2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz View Post
i liked the 1000 bc it fit my head well, but it was too heavy and the limited line of sight bothered me. How would you compare the line of view with the 1000? Considering that the 500 is lighter i may have to give it a try again...
I'm not quite sure what you mean by line of sight? If you mean pheripheral vision side to side, quite well and I am comparing it to the RF-1100 which is huge.

If you mean if in a full tuck, quite well!

Unread
  (#12)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

June 10, 2011, 09:36 PM

/indeed i meant full tuck, good to know!
Unread
  (#13)
T.R.I.T.D.H

June 28, 2011, 03:24 PM

Expanded Review of Scorpion Helmets-EXO 750

I was hesitant to purchase this helmet because it wasn't Snell rated and I didn't know much about ECE ratings...after a few quick checks on the internet while shopping, I was convinced that I'd be fine (also I read a time ago the article on snell being TOO rigid vs. ECE and DOT).

The EXO 750 is the upgraded 700. When Scorpion started, in the full face lineup you had the 400,700, and 1000. Now it seems they have added the 500 and 750 (upgrades of the 400 and 700 respectively). The 1000 with the bells and whistles, cheek pumps and top gun style sun shade, along with a composite kevlar/fiberglass shell, it was the best available budget helmet on the market. I bought it. Loved it....it was a solid, heavy, quiet, helmet. At $320 you couldn't beat it.

Fast forward, 3 years, and a sale, I picked up an EXO 750 for $200 on a whim. ECE 22.05 and DOT rated, it is LIGHT, MOVES A TON OF AIR, AND NOISY....I can hear it whistling even with headphones at full volume (granted poor, standard issue iPod headphones) but you get my drift. I feel like the faceshield is not as thick/strong as the one that comes with the EXO 1000?

However, strangely...it's growing on me. I actually like the helmet...very odd, but I do. It is different. I am confident it will do the job that it was built to do well (God forbid, I ever need to use it in that manner), and I am familar with their product quality. I usually strayed away from lighter helments b/c they didn't feel "protective" enough to me...*cough* SHARK, but I now feel just as comfortable, if not better, riding with a lighter helmet. THe fit is more snug than the EXO 1000, and pretty much carries over the same protective construction features of the EXO 1000 ( composite shell, quick wick liner, and EPS lined chin bar).

All in all, this was a good deal for me. New helment at a great price, with pretty much all of the features that I need in a helmet. I've never owned a Shoei or Arai...I know they are the top dogs, but not everbody can afford the best of the best. I will say that Scorpions are that next tier downward and they are very comparable in quality.

(it seems that the inflatable cheek pads are being added to all of the new scoripon full face helmets. The flip down visor was probably added as a bonus to a cheaper in price helmet (the 500 with Poly-C shell..not fiberglass/kevlar). Personally, I would steer away from the 500 and look towards the 1000 or 750 options).

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."