DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 572
4 members and 568 guests
davidcycle, Deep, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Scorpion exo1000
Unread
  (#1)
Bikeless... for now

Scorpion exo1000 - September 4, 2007, 06:08 AM

Looking to buy a new helmet and I like the flip down tinted visor idea on this one. Anyone have any imputs on them? Wind noise, comfort, etc.... thanks

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

September 4, 2007, 06:10 AM

i hear they are awesome. My next one for sure. checkout webbikeworld. They usually have good reviews on new products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#3)
Bikeless... for now

September 4, 2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95
i hear they are awesome. My next one for sure. checkout webbikeworld. They usually have good reviews on new products.
Checked it out but no review just yet....

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

September 4, 2007, 06:51 AM

I don't think you'll find much info on them yet, since they haven't been released.

They look like a great setup, and I'll be picking on up in the spring, assuming they live up to the hype.
Unread
  (#5)
Street Bonk Bum.....

September 4, 2007, 06:56 AM

call fairfax cycles they are a authorized scorpion dealer 703-591-8556 talk to greg or kevin.
Unread
  (#6)
Largely Unsupervised....

September 4, 2007, 09:45 PM

I've been researching them quite a bit. Evidently there has been a delay delivering them. The two rumors are that they have not yet met DOT or SNELL approval OR That Scorpion was unhappy with the quality of the tinted visors and are having the visors on the first batch of helmets replaced. It's difficult to tell which is true as Scorpion has provided no explanation for the delay. What IS true is that Scorpion has taken advertising for the EXO 1000 OFF of their website for now...

Initial press releases indicated the first deliveries were to take place in August 2007, now most information indicates "late Fall of 2007" or more likely, January 2008... Additional info is that the initial distribution will be delivered only to retail shops who have pre-ordered and no shipments to distributors who do online sales will be made until sometime next year. I have heard mention that Canada currently has currently received shipments...which may validate the DOT/Snell rumor. (Yes, I realize that Snell approval is not required, only DOT...I'm just relaying the info I've come across.)

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)

Last edited by Corbett; September 4, 2007 at 09:48 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Xpress

October 4, 2007, 01:13 PM

Saw one and didn't buy it at Cycle World yesterday. Wrong color. Seemed well made and not too heavy. The interior visor was a big disappointment: light smoke grey! For those who, like me, were hoping that this was a replacement for sunglasses that could be flipped out of the way for tunnels and such, no go. Really not much darker than the clear visor. The mechanism to manipulate it seemed pretty good. With luck, a dark inner visor will be available later, but the Cycle World sales people said it's not around now, although pale blue and amber are out.
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

October 4, 2007, 01:43 PM

Hollywood demo'd the 1000 at summit his opinion is probably the best. He let me try it on and we agreed on a couple things.

-The helmet is of average weight
-It is of the same quality as all scorpions... High IMO
-the inflatable cheekpads ARE the shit. They worked well.
-the dropdown visor was useless, not dark enough, directly in your field of vision because it didnt extend down far enough... And pointless. Good idea bad application.
-on windnoise his comment was that it was not unusually quiet but most of us wear ear plugs

Im going to probably pass on it and keep my three exo700's

Once again I'll defer to Hollywood on this.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; October 4, 2007 at 01:47 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

October 4, 2007, 03:12 PM

jus thought i'd mention: newenough seems to have solid-black/large exo1000's in stock, while oddly enough all other colors/sizes aren't back in stock until jan. also, it looks like an HJC helmet is coming out with a flip-up internal sunvisor as well.
Unread
  (#10)
unapologetic

October 4, 2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
Hollywood demo'd the 1000 at summit his opinion is probably the best. He let me try it on and we agreed on a couple things.

-The helmet is of average weight
-It is of the same quality as all scorpions... High IMO
-the inflatable cheekpads ARE the shit. They worked well.
-the dropdown visor was useless, not dark enough, directly in your field of vision because it didnt extend down far enough... And pointless. Good idea bad application.
-on windnoise his comment was that it was not unusually quiet but most of us wear ear plugs

Im going to probably pass on it and keep my three exo700's

Once again I'll defer to Hollywood on this.
+1 on all of that. Scorpion had let us test one out at the CCS round at Summit Point. The local Scorpion rep had asked us to try it out and give her and corporate some feedback on it. I liked the fit, but your head has to be the right shape, or it's worthless anyway. I liked the "Reebok Pump"-esque interior of the helmet, it definitely made for a lot less head roll in side the lid. The quick-change faceshield seems to be similar to the old style, still easy to use. The air-cooling vents seemed to be in some strange places, I seemed to remember overall better airflow in the 700. The interior comes out for cleaning the moisture-wicking liner fairly easily. The flip down visor for RACING applications was rediculous. It just seemed to be in the way. It doesn't cover all the incoming light to your eyes, and when looking through things, the border had some problems with contrasts and a big line through things(the edge of the flip down visor). I wouldn't use it for the track period.

Street guys, it could be helpful not to have to lug around a spare face shield. Plus, the visor and helmet look cool from the outside.

If I were repping' Scorpion next year, I would wear a 700 and really like it.

DISCLAIMER: This is, of course, my opinion. According to some people on this forum, I don't have a vast knowledge of helmets according to safety, and that I should test more helmets more often. Please keep in mind I may have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#11)
Agitator

October 4, 2007, 05:17 PM

but you rock a pink one well

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#12)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 4, 2007, 08:40 PM

Caberg has those flip down visors for their modular helmet
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Largely Unsupervised....

October 5, 2007, 12:45 AM

Hmm....the visor info is disappointing.

Here's a YouTube review from Helmet Harbor on the EXO 1000

link

--------------

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#14)
Largely Unsupervised....

October 5, 2007, 12:53 AM

FYI
HJC also makes a full face helmet with a flip down visor.
http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_fs10.htm

Here's a HJC FS-10 review from another board. Has similarities to the Scorpion review.

I got mine in anthracite the other day and broke it in yesterday with a quick 469 mile test through north/central PA. A few miles into the ride, I almost turned around to get my nine year old Shoei RF800. With all vents closed and the included chin spoiler and anti-fog nose piece installed, the wind was blasting into my eyes and was very uncomfortable at highway speed. A quick stop on the shoulder and removal of the nose piece (something my old helmet never had) and all was well. The nose piece makes it look like you are wearing a fighter pilot oxygen mask, especially with the visor down, but I don't think it would be functional for me due to the distance from my face. The overall noise level on my turbulent bike seems similar to my old helmet, so no complaints there. It was cool and very foggy yesterday morning and I immediately noticed that even with the vents closed, there was a lot of cooling airflow over my scalp. This should be great for warmer weather but not so great in the cold, and it's only getting colder here. The angle of the the chin strap makes it seem more like a neck strap, so I found it necessary to leave it a little looser to prevent discomfort. This seems to be the same on other new helmets I have tried, so it might just be a function of my giant head (XL) to neck relationship. The shield releases very easily which is important as I remove it at every stop with a bathroom and clean the bugs off with soap and water. The overall fit and finish is good, consistent with other recent HJC products. Lastly and of most most interest to many, the integrated tinted visor. The HJC is unique in that the visor retracts using spring power at the touch of a button on the top of the helmet. Deploying it requires reaching the top rear of the helmet and sliding a catch forward. I wish the visor was a little larger top to bottom to move the lower edge downward and less in my my field of vision. It is a little distracting, but not at all unlike wearing sunglasses with a clear visor. I may just be accustomed to using a smoked visor for years, but I couldn't help thinking that I might just order a smoked visor for this helmet and use the integral one when I'm not carrying it. One note regarding the visor that I was prepared for after research on similar helmets: the integrated visor is not optically perfect. There is a slightly perceptible irregularity that I can see when moving my eyes or turning my head. I might try to exchange the visor over the winter.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...ic=11830.0;all

--------------

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)

Last edited by Corbett; October 5, 2007 at 01:03 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
Bikeless... for now

October 5, 2007, 05:53 AM

The whole visor thing sounds disappointing

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)