DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 200
6 members and 194 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, gvr4wd, Sal_the_man, Slider, tpadden
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Shoei GT air - any opinions?
Unread
  (#1)
Monkey Monkey Monkey!!!

Shoei GT air - any opinions? - May 30, 2013, 08:33 AM

Hey all,

I am looking to replace my old x-11 and came across the GT-Air. I was wondering if anyone had one yet. If so, how do ya like it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this new Shoei?

This demonstrates how stupid the average American is. Every ninety minutes someone in this country is hit by a train. A train, Okay? Trains are on tracks; they can't come and get you. They can't surprise you when you step off a curb. You have to go to them! Got that?

Used to have an '05 SV1000S before it was stolen
Replaced with a CBR1000rr.....
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
yuu
Whitty comment

June 3, 2013, 12:03 PM

Web Bike World likes it pretty well. Not perfect, but really good

Shoei GT Air Review - webBikeWorld

- Throttle's on the right. So are the brakes. Good luck.
Unread
  (#3)
I bent my wookie

June 3, 2013, 03:08 PM

^^ That's my helmet ... Actually, it is, I bought webBikeWorld's helmet after they did the review.

It's everything I remember from my past Shoei's with the plus of having an internal visor.

The pinlock is absolutely mandatory since the shoei visor fits so snuggly. Anyone who's owned a Shoei knows they fog up instantly at anything less than 50 degrees. The pinlock almost completely cures it.

My only beef is that it feels almost like it packed out a bit too quick. I've always worn XLs with Shoei, this one fit great from day one, but I've noticed that it almost feels like it's gotten a bit loose after wearing it for a couple of months. I think I need to look into some new, thicker pads.

Other notes:
-The speaker pockets are deep and work great. I installed a sena smh-10 with no problems.
-The visor operation is crisp, but I kind of like the lever system on my old Scorpion better. However, the Shoei seems to be much crisper, it's kind of a hassle to push the visor up with the button on the side of the helmet. I find myself flipping up the outer visor and then pushing up the internal more often than not.
-Other than those two things, it's a Shoei. You mentioned you're replacing an X-11. I have an old x-11 as well and the Air is just as nice.
-Important note - because of the internal visor, it only has a DOT rating, not SNELL. If you can live with that, I say go for it.
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

June 3, 2013, 04:59 PM

The neat thing that Shoei does with the internal visor that i haven't seen other companies do; they expand the shell to accommodate it. While most other helmet will cut away the innards of the helmet (the protective stuff), to fit the drop-down visor in.

I am personally considering going to the gt air from my exo-500.

again, from personal experiences, the fit on the gt air seems a little more snug than the other same sized shoei's. Which for me is perfect. But, for some it might just break the threshold of what size they were. luckily, Shoei does offer quite a few sizes for cheek pads.

2007 ZX-6R

Joshua