DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
4 members and 552 guests
CCS762ZX6, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

April 15, 2004, 02:08 PM

I'm in the market for a new helmet and trying to decide between a Shoei RF-1000 or Shoei TZ-1. Can anyone tell me the differences between these helmets (other than $50)? Is one quieter than the other (wind noise), more comfortable, better ventilation? The only concrete difference I've found is the TZ-1 weighs 3.39 lbs and the RF-1000 is 3.24 lbs.

Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jlp7t  
Unread
  (#2)
Brainwash Your Face!

April 15, 2004, 02:19 PM

Anything not to actually work...

RF-1000
The art of helmet design has entered the space age with Shoei Helmets' creation of the RF-1000. This cutting-edge new helmet features an aerodynamically superior space-age shape, Shoei's revolutionary cooling system technology, and a 3D comfort liner that allows you to essentially custom fit the helmet to your head.

The first thing that you'll notice about the RF-1000 is its unique shape, which is made possible through the use of Shoei's AIM+ technology. It is unlike any helmet ever produced and is the result of extensive wind tunnel testing. This aerodynamic shape maximizes airflow and enhances ventilation, which leads to greater stability at high speeds and results in less neck fatigue than any other model in its class.

As impressive as the outside is, however, the interior may be even more so because at Shoei, comfort is a top priority. For this reason, the RF-1000 is equipped with the Shoei's patented 3D comfort liner system. This liner system allows you to create a comfortable, snug fit by adjusting the removable cheek pads, a first for any helmet in this class. **

TZ-1
Today's road bikes have become highly specialized - sport bikes, cruisers, touring bikes, and even retro bikes and standards. Despite all that specialization, however, we've got one helmet in our award-winning line that's going to be perfect no matter what kind of road bike you ride - the Shoei TZ-1. This helmet not only looks great, but it also gives you top-notch comfort and protection.

The TZ-1 features Shoei's AIM shell construction technology. This type of shell is much lighter than traditional fiberglass helmets, but because of the materials used in its construction, it is also stronger and better able to absorb and disperse the force of an impact. The TZ-1 also features a lower center of gravity, which reduces rider fatigue over long distances, and features Shoei's incomparable ventilation technology. All in all, the Shoei TZ-1 is head and shoulders above any other helmet in its class.

[img][/img]

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 15, 2004, 03:00 PM

I really like my TZ-1 (Hot Wheels) . Never had a RF-1000 soooooo....

You can't go wrong with Shoei's quick release system for the face shields. Takes less than a minute.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)

April 15, 2004, 03:46 PM

boomchic00, I appreciate the post but I did actually do some searching myself and look on the Shoei site for differences. The descriptions are cool for describing the helmets, but they really don't give me any information that I can use to determine which is better. I'd like a helmet primarily that's comfortable and secondarily one that has the least amount of wind noise.

Right now I'm leaning toward a TZ-1 because it's cheaper, unless someone can tell me why a RF-1000 (or RF-900) is better?
Unread
  (#5)
Signed up for Track Days!

April 15, 2004, 06:39 PM

I don't know about the TZ-1 but my RF-1000 is absolutely wonderful
Extremely comfortable with a really cool ventilation system. Plus that little wing on the back gives it a little style
I also love how light it is, I've tried on other helmets, (friends helmets) and mine is the lightest.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Kink  
Unread
  (#6)

April 15, 2004, 06:44 PM

Okay, so I stopped at the dealership (Coleman Powersports, not where I will be buying the helmet - that place is shady..) and looked at both lids. The salesman says the RF-1000 is better b/c it has better ventilation and the vents in the back really help on hot days - problem is I later found out that this same salesman doesn't even own a bike! I don't know if it's $50 better, and they both fit the same - but I think I might like the paint scheme on the 1000 better than the TZ-1 now that I've seen them in person.

I wonder exactly what age it was when I lost the ability to make a simple decision.. can't believe I'm making my choice based on which one is the "pretty" one.
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

April 15, 2004, 10:33 PM

I had a 900 and don't know the difference between it and the 1000, but I really liked it. Until I got a Z-two. Totally smoked the 900. Quieter and a lot better ventilation. Going to have to buy another one before they change the paint scheme of the viking.

I looked at the TZ-1 before I bout the Z and it sucked. Ventilation is crappy I think.

-Mod
Unread
  (#8)
noise

April 16, 2004, 11:39 AM

RF1000 vents more and is lighter in weight than the TZ1 and has a nicer interior...If you're going to pay a $50 difference then by all means go for the RF1000 sinc it was designed to be a step down from the REALLY nice X-11!

Colemans's shady....Hmmm....bought 2 Suomy lids from there for HALF....both were Spec-1Rs Hodgson and Guareschi replicas...held one for flpinr6 which is a Gobert replica...

Coleman's isn't a bad place like it used to be as far as the Accessory and Service Dept. One must know who to talk to...

Accessory Dept. - Mark, Aron, or Bobby...they will deal with you.

Service Dept. - Heath for Advisor and Ed for technician...GOOD guys.