DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 188
1 members and 187 guests
MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Brainwash Your Face!

October 14, 2005, 07:27 AM

Anyone use this? What are your thoughts on it?

Quote:
Shok-SpotRô is a calibrated sensor that visually warns you of a significant impact to your helmet. It mounts on your helmet shell permanently and easily, in a small, attractive, ultra-lightweight housing. When activated, Shok-SpotRô alerts you to stop using your helmet and have it inspected by its manufacturer.

http://www.shok-spotr.com/

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groundhogs can play dead

October 14, 2005, 07:42 AM

looks like a roach or ant trap. never heard of it. I wouldn't buy it until i understood how it works....

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
DAS BOOT

October 14, 2005, 08:21 AM

This came off of the website

http://www.shok-spotr.com/faq.asp

Quote:
Q: What exactly does the sensor do?
A: It monitors the acceleration level on your helmetís outer shell, and activates (turns red) if the acceleration exceeds a predetermined level for more than a certain amount of time. This acceleration level has been calibrated with your helmet type and data from your sport. A red Shok-SpotRô indicates a severe impact and probable helmet damage, which can be invisible.

Q: What does it take to set it off?
A: A significant fraction of the shell acceleration seen in a typical sporting accident or vehicle crash will set it off. The sensor, itís housing, mounting system, and mounting location have all been carefully calibrated in independent laboratory tests. The tests utilize headform weights to simulate an accident. It is possible to activate the sensor when you are not wearing the helmet also. This may or may not damage the helmet, but it is abusive handling and indicates returning the helmet to its manufacturer to ensure your safety.

Q: Will the sensor work if the helmet is impacted on the sides, back, front?
A: The sensor calibrations include left rear, right rear, left front, right front, rear, and front impacts. All calibration impacts are on or above industry-standard ďtest linesĒ. These are the imaginary lines on your helmet above which the helmet must meet the impact test criteria for the standard it has been certified to (e.g. D.O.T., Snell, NOCSAE, ASTM). In other words, your helmet is not required to pass impacts tests below the test line and Shok-SpotRô is not and cannot be calibrated there. So it is possible to damage your helmet in those areas without activating the sensor. This is one of many reasons that our instructions urge you to have the helmet inspected if it has been impacted hard or you see visual signs of damage, whether the sensor has turned red or not.

Q: Which helmets does it work with?
A: Any brand new helmet of the rigid-shell and impact-absorbing liner type that that carries one or more of the following certifications: Snell, D.O.T., ASTM, EN, NOCSAE. If you are unsure whether your helmet applies, or which version of the Shok-SpotRô you should use, e-mail us at the tech help line on the Contacts page.

Note: Seemingly innocent events like repeated mild impacts and helmet aging can slowly degrade a helmetís performance. A degraded helmet may affect the Shok-SpotRô calibration. This is why we cannot guarantee your satisfaction if the sensor is installed on a used helmet.

Q: Does it tell me that my helmet is damaged?
A: No. If it turns red, it tells you that an impact has occurred that probably reduced the helmetís effectiveness.

Q: What should I do if it is activated?
A: Return the helmet to its manufacturer for an inspection, or destroy and replace it. Remember, per the Shok-SpotRô Mounting and Use Instructions, you should stop using the helmet whether the sensor is activated or not if you see evidence of damage, or your helmet is over 5 years old, or if it has seen a significant impact.

Q: Why is it so easy to accidentally activate before itís installed on my helmet?
A: Because it is light and small. The product senses acceleration (or deceleration), which is a rate of change of velocity. When it is attached to a helmet, the helmet material helps spread the velocity change over a larger time period. So the sensor itself sees a lower acceleration when mounted on a helmet than when not mounted. Therefore itís harder to set off once itís attached to a helmet. Remember, Shok-SpotRô is calibrated for use on a helmet, with your head in it.

Q: What if I crash right onto the sensor housing?
A: That depends on what you hit. The housing has been carefully designed to protect the sensor element against direct hits. In most direct impacts, it reacts normally. If you land directly on a sharp object such as a rock, it may destroy the sensor. In such a case the sensor will turn red, and you should replace the helmet anyway. Such a penetrating blow will almost certainly damage the helmet shell.

Q: Can I damage my helmet without activating the sensor?
A: Yes. Shok-SpotRô is intended to help you monitor the possibility of impact damage Ė a type of damage that is often invisible. There are other types of damage such as chin strap tears, chemical damage, and puncture damage. With a sharp enough object, itís possible to puncture your helmetís shell with relatively little impact. This may or may not activate the sensor. Also, as explained in Question 3 above, damaging impacts below the helmet test line may or may not activate the sensor. So a regular visual inspection is still critical to helmet care. Shok SpotRô should not be used to replace your helmet care routine, only to add to it.

Q: Iím very careful with my helmet and I never loan it to anyone. Besides, Iíll know if I hit my head hard in a crash. So why should I buy a helmet impact sensor?
A: That is of course a matter of personal choice. Shok-SpotRô is intended to raise the level of awareness of one important helmet care issue (impact damage). Many users are not aware that a helmet that looks fine may be damaged. Many people do loan their helmets to friends. Parents can more easily monitor the history of their kidís helmets with this product. Also, a high enough fall onto concrete can damage an empty helmet. Not everyone keeps track of their helmet the way they should. The rule of thumb, as labeled in every helmet by law, is: ďIf helmet experiences a severe blow, return it to the manufacturer for inspection, or destroy it and replace it....''
Shok SpotRô just helps you follow this rule.

Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to