DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
4 members and 552 guests
CCS762ZX6, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Stay with Text or get Leather Suit
Unread
  (#1)
M Class Holder

Cool Stay with Text or get Leather Suit - January 19, 2007, 09:09 AM

I am looking for some advice. I am about to start riding this season and am trying to get my gear together early.

I got a A* textile jacket so far and I can't decide between some textile pants or a jump to 2-piece Fieldsheer Revo leathers.

I know the Revo would protect better, but for a novice riding around the street would this be overkill? It's hard to convince myself that's it's OK to where leather pants.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nothing here

January 19, 2007, 09:18 AM

ehhh....bikes being absent of seat belts why would you not opt for the best protection you can get? I always wear full leathers no matter what, where or how hot. Some people might make fun of you, but I actually like my skin. I think I will keep it.
Unread
  (#3)
TEAM.SUKUZI

January 19, 2007, 09:22 AM

its your choice - I sometimes wear a textile jacket and sometimes leather. I wear jeans and thats as far as I go unless Im at the track - I wear full leather...

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#4)
You meet the nicest

January 19, 2007, 09:32 AM

More protection is better. Anyone who gives you shit about a newb not needing leather yet is a fool.

If your fashion sense says that leather pants are gay and textile or jeans cool, that is a personal choice. I wouldn’t call you a fool, just someone with different priorities than me.

I always wear my leather jacket, jeans around town and leather pants for the hills.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

January 19, 2007, 09:33 AM

Leather jacket at a minimum. As someone who's been down in text, I'll tell you it's not pretty when it starts to melt.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#6)
TEAM.SUKUZI

January 19, 2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
Leather jacket at a minimum. As someone who's been down in text, I'll tell you it's not pretty when it starts to melt.
I know watcha meen...

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#7)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

January 19, 2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
ehhh....bikes being absent of seat belts why would you not opt for the best protection you can get? I always wear full leathers no matter what, where or how hot. Some people might make fun of you, but I actually like my skin. I think I will keep it.
+1

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#8)
M Class Holder

January 19, 2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I pretty much agree with what you are saying. I guess if I have the money I should get the best I can afford. I just wanted to make sure.

The opinions about textile failing is scary so I had always planned to get a leather jacket, but the suit is not much more and appears to have better safety.

Any other recommendations in the same price range as the Fieldsheer Revo?
Unread
  (#9)
Nothing here

January 19, 2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAWD
I pretty much agree with what you are saying. I guess if I have the money I should get the best I can afford. I just wanted to make sure.

The opinions about textile failing is scary so I had always planned to get a leather jacket, but the suit is not much more and appears to have better safety.

Any other recommendations in the same price range as the Fieldsheer Revo?
Here's the deal. If cost keeps you from being safe, let me know. I will help you out.
Unread
  (#10)
M Class Holder

January 19, 2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Here's the deal. If cost keeps you from being safe, let me know. I will help you out.
That's very generous, but cost is not the issue for my safety. I actually post-poned getting a bike for a year and getting a cheaper bike just to have the proper gear. That said, I want to spend wisely.

Assuming I get the suit I still need back protecter, gloves, and boots, but I have until March 26 (MSF course) to get it all together.
Unread
  (#11)
DAS BOOT

January 19, 2007, 10:44 AM

+1 to the leathers.... any time we go out we wear our leathers... locally I wear jeans and my leather jacket at the minimum with boots (and gloves)... you're being smart by getting the proper gear.

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#12)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

January 19, 2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Madali, pm coming your way. I need.....

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

January 19, 2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
agreed, I like my skin just where it is.

Seems most people here prefer leather, so I will go against the grain. I prefer textile. To me it is more versatile. Most are H2O proof, vented, armoured and washable. My favorite is the Aerostich Roadcrafter. It fits over streetclothes and can be on or off in 10 seconds with boots on. Most quality textile suits are as durable in a crash as leather. I have heard,but never tested, that textiles don't create as much friction and you could slide farther.

Last edited by Space; January 19, 2007 at 02:59 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

January 19, 2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
+1 to the leathers.... any time we go out we wear our leathers... locally I wear jeans and my leather jacket at the minimum with boots (and gloves)... you're being smart by getting the proper gear.

Just boots and gloves!
Unread
  (#15)
Lurking

January 19, 2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space
agreed, I like my skin just where it is.

Seems most people here prefer leather, so I will go against the grain. I prefer textile. To me it is more versatile. Most are H2O proof, vented, armoured and washable. My favorite is the Aerostich Roadcrafter. It fit over streetclothes and can bo on or off is 10 seconds with boots on. Most quality textile suits are as durable in a crash as leather. I have heard,but never tested, that textile don't create as much friction and you could slide farther.
+1 If you have the right material the textile will hold up in a crash. I wear a full suit, jacket and pants. I would do some research before buying just any textile jacket or pants. I would do the same with leathers, as not all are made the same and some are more durable than others.

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa