DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 518
1 members and 517 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tell me about Airbag Jackets...
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Tell me about Airbag Jackets... - December 2, 2010, 01:29 PM

It looks like there are a ton of companies making one, or re-branding as their own.

I think this is probably the best choice for commuting.

Anyone have any experience with any of these jackets? There is one review on web bike world and that's all I could find. I'm thinking of getting one.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
easyrider

December 2, 2010, 02:21 PM

I probably don't know any more than you do on the subject, but I have not seen any really conclusive tests done. Every real test video seems to be at very low speeds which would probably not cause a lot of damage normally and also the test rider purposely goes down which avoids any bad angles. Also it seems to inflate at slower speeds than car airbags. This could be an issue where in some cases doesn't inflate until after an initial impact. Like I said I don't know much but those are some things that come to my mind.

Interesting none the less. There are also those Thermahelmets which are essentially the same as the ice packs you have to break to get them cold. I am interested in know how much these types of things would help.
Unread
  (#3)
Knarly Adventurer

December 2, 2010, 03:40 PM

There have been a few threads about them. Did you use the <search>
DCSportbikes.net - Search Results

also... i know Rossi was wearing an airbag suit when he broke his leg, and experts say his injuries would have been much worse.

I am also pretty sure I read last summer or the prior that the first recorded case in "real" life was right in MD on 270. I will try to find that info, but from what I remember the rider was fine after a pretty hard get off.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#4)
Knarly Adventurer

December 2, 2010, 03:43 PM

Not sure if the link works... it blocked from my office.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14328936/detail.html

BALTIMORE -- While motorists who have been in car crashes often attribute the help of air bags to saving their lives, a Maryland motorcycle rider injured in a collision is doing the same -- for a jacket.

Joseph McPhatter, of Randallstown, was injured in a crash on Interstate 83 after being cut off by another motorist in September. According to police, McPhatter was ejected 100 feet, hitting the ground at an impact rate of 140 mph.

Police said that McPhatter might have been severely injured had it not been for the Impact Jacket he was wearing -- a jacket that inflates like an air bag when a motorcyclist is in an wreck.

McPhatter suffered from sore ribs and knees and a few other minor injuries, but it could have been much worse, officials said.

Officials said McPhatter's crash was the first real-life incident in the U.S. where the jacket was used. Read more at Motorcycle Airbag Jacket - Explain - MY350Z.COM Forums

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

December 2, 2010, 05:07 PM

All the search threads are a few years old and a lot has changed since them. It looks like the design is _very_ similar many of these jackets so I have a feeling one or two companies are licensing it out to everyone else? At the same time, prices vary greatly.

I'm not really thinking about track day safety. I'm mostly thinking about commuting safety where it doesn't really matter if your leather can slide 40 feet on the pavement since most accidents will probably be with the rider hitting the hood of a car or something like that.
Unread
  (#6)
#swag

December 2, 2010, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#7)
SUPERBITCHIN'

December 2, 2010, 05:48 PM

rs taichi makes them also now, sportbiketrackgear sells them.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}