DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 574
2 members and 572 guests
GRN96WS6, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

May 30, 2003, 01:46 PM

What is a good brand for Tires... on a Honda CBR 600F3, currently I have a Dunlop on front and rear, but the rear is smooth as ice no treads at all.....I'm looking to replace that but need advice on what is a good performance tire.

'96 HONDA CBR F3 / RED
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to btekola  
Unread
  (#2)
Upgraded: Phat 636

May 30, 2003, 01:52 PM

I use Michelin pilots.... I like them alot...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to phatf3  
Unread
  (#3)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

May 30, 2003, 02:13 PM

I agreee...I like the pilot sports over the dunlops

Honda Cbr600RR NESBA #135
"Your anger makes me Happy"
Ambivalent? Welllll, yes and no.
You are about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via AIM to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via MSN to KatiesGSXR600m  
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

May 30, 2003, 02:15 PM

I've heard that you really should be careful about mixing and matching tires. I think it has something to do with different profiles, different compounds, etc. I'd probably try to stick with the same tire brand and probably even model front and rear. Of course, I'm a bit of a hypocrite because (after much research ) I went with a BT010/BT020 set up on my VFR and am happy with it so far.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

May 30, 2003, 02:17 PM

I'm putting some SportTec M-1s on my SV tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I think of them after Monday.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#6)
Pleased to meet me

May 30, 2003, 02:30 PM

About two weeks ago I got a front Michelin Pilot mounted on my Superhawk. Had to ride it home in the rain. Felt good for a new tire on wet pavement. These guys have a 2 tire special. Ordered mine on a Monday and they arrived on Wednesday afternoon.
http://www.tireexpress.com/acb/showp...ctGroup_ID=162

Good luck.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

May 30, 2003, 06:34 PM

Pilot Sports Definately!!!!!!!!!

People sleep peacably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
2004 R1
2002 CBR954RR
2002 CR250R
1991 KX500
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YUSOSLO Send a message via MSN to YUSOSLO  
Unread
  (#8)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

May 31, 2003, 03:36 PM

thanks for the info..........i went ahead and settled with the dunlops 208 we'll see how they ride......

'96 HONDA CBR F3 / RED
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to btekola  
Unread
  (#9)
Loves Sporking

May 31, 2003, 04:23 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info..........i went ahead and settled with the dunlops 208 we'll see how they ride......
Good choice. Like asses and elbows, so are tire opinions. Everyone's got 'em. Dave's right about different tires and profiles. A 180 rear Dunlop will measure differently than the same size Pirelli, Michelin, or whatever. I ran Pirellis on my racebike for a year. Then switched back to Dunlop (mainly because I preferred the squirmy feedback of the Dunlops at a race pace). The Dunlop front was taller than the Pirelli, and the rear was shorter, noticeably. My bike was steering a hair too quickly on the Pirellis. Switching to Dunlop was an easy way to raise the front end and lower the rear to slow down the steering characteristics. But Pirellis are great race tires. I could have also dropped the forks a hair in the triple clamp, or lowered the rear ride height. Plus, one company's race tire might be fantastic, while their street tires still haven't evolved, and vice versa. Even riding style can play a role.

The point? You never know how a particular tire is going to act on your bike. But there are hundreds of bike mag articles on the subject. I'm betting you'll be thrilled with the 208's. But who knows? Be careful, and always check your pressures before you ride. That's my 2 cents.

John (CCS ex # 67)

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

May 31, 2003, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Good choice. Like asses and elbows, so are tire opinions. Everyone's got 'em. Dave's right about different tires and profiles. A 180 rear Dunlop will measure differently than the same size Pirelli, Michelin, or whatever. I ran Pirellis on my racebike for a year. Then switched back to Dunlop (mainly because I preferred the squirmy feedback of the Dunlops at a race pace). The Dunlop front was taller than the Pirelli, and the rear was shorter, noticeably. My bike was steering a hair too quickly on the Pirellis. Switching to Dunlop was an easy way to raise the front end and lower the rear to slow down the steering characteristics. But Pirellis are great race tires. I could have also dropped the forks a hair in the triple clamp, or lowered the rear ride height. Plus, one company's race tire might be fantastic, while their street tires still haven't evolved, and vice versa. Even riding style can play a role.

The point? You never know how a particular tire is going to act on your bike. But there are hundreds of bike mag articles on the subject. I'm betting you'll be thrilled with the 208's. But who knows? Be careful, and always check your pressures before you ride. That's my 2 cents.

John (CCS ex # 67)
Good choice stickin with the dunlops....thats what i have and i love 'em

rajmeister

rajmeister

97 GSX-R600
Check it out HERE
[img=265x168] http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6sewk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/DCSBN_sig.jpg[/img]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rajmeister Send a message via MSN to rajmeister  
Unread
  (#11)
Site Admin

May 31, 2003, 04:55 PM

Bridgestone BT010's
Unread
  (#12)
Addicted to farm animals

June 2, 2003, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I'm putting some SportTec M-1s on my SV tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I think of them after Monday.

Metzlers are the shit for heating and sticking to the road but they don't work for shit on burnouts..lol

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1