DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
5 members and 525 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, Heist, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Top Gear Leather Suits?
Unread
  (#1)
Fuhgeddaboutit!

Question Top Gear Leather Suits? - January 12, 2009, 02:53 PM

Has anybody here ever dealt with these guys or checked out one of their suits up close?

http://www.topgearleather.com/produc...ther_Suit.html

They supposedly use thicker leather than some of the others that I've seen and they do custom work so I'm kinda sold but I just thought I'd ask around first. It's not Vanson or anything but it looked pretty good to me. I'm not sure if they can do double stitching by request, we'll see.

Anything good, bad, indifferent? Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Tough guy

January 12, 2009, 03:29 PM

First, I dont know this suit. Second, I am not sure if your looking at this suit primarily because of the cost but, if so...I recommend checking out http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com. They sell Teknic Violator or the Gericke Celtic - both are proven suits and under $600.

Good luck and post up a review if you get this suit!

Last edited by CamDLux; January 13, 2009 at 07:02 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#3)
Triple Secks

January 13, 2009, 06:15 AM

Nice link cam, i like how they do a video review of a lot of the products.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#4)
Fuhgeddaboutit!

January 13, 2009, 06:53 AM

Yeah STG is good, the videos are informative too. I got a great Knox back protector through them.

Thanks for the recommendation CamDLux but I don't think a mens suit will fit me right. I was diggin the Top Gear one because I've never seen custom work done for so cheap. I'm having a hard time finding one for my height that won't be all baggy. I'll give some feedback if I order it for sure, thanks again.
Unread
  (#5)
TPG

January 13, 2009, 06:55 AM

You might wanna talk to Sara, I know she has spent some time looking into female riding suits.

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#6)
Tough guy

January 13, 2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrasive View Post
Nice link cam, i like how they do a video review of a lot of the products.
Oops...fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post

I don't think a mens suit will fit me right.
Sorry, I missed this was for a female rider. They have an entire "Femmoto" section http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead...G_Femmoto.html . My wife ran into the same problem so we got her a 2 piece suit. Good luck.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#7)
Triple Secks

January 13, 2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux View Post
Oops...fixed.
To clarify I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass, i don't have a prob cut and pasting.

Good site!

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#8)
fruta fresca

January 13, 2009, 10:22 AM

yeah, I've had a hard time finding a one-piece as well - and I really would prefer a one piece over a two piece.

I found a place, Trackskinz, that actually makes suits that look like they would be a pretty good fit (I'm 5'2") http://trackskinz.com/Download.html Haven't heard anything negative, and they do double stitching, but some of their suits are pretty ugly, lol.

So, I was going to go with them, or...Viki gave me some advice this weekend that I made a mental note to check out before buying my suit in the spring. I forgot the details though, so lemme ask her again. I was busy looking at bikes and have a short attention span.
Unread
  (#9)
Fuhgeddaboutit!

January 13, 2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks again Cam..

Sara- Good lookin' out! I've never come across that website before. The sizing is far better than what I've seen anywhere else but at 5'5" it's still looking like the suit would be far too baggy for me. Let me know if you happen to come across that other info if you don't mind. I'm not planning on making the purchase for a couple more weeks.
Unread
  (#10)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

January 14, 2009, 05:36 PM

A* 36 (2-piece) fits me pretty tight. I'm 5'2 but I am a hair shorter than the suit. My weight's around 135 and like I said, its pretty toight

-Ryan
Unread
  (#11)
Fuhgeddaboutit!

February 17, 2009, 08:45 AM

Fack.. Does anybody know anything about decent stitching on a suit? I'm getting ready to order from these guys..
  • Dual stitched main seams for excellent tear resistance
  • Nylon stitching
Does that look normal? I was trying to compare it to Vanson but I couldn't find those details on their website. Is nylon stitching normal..? Help..?
Unread
  (#12)
fruta fresca

February 17, 2009, 09:05 AM

nylon stitching? hmmm, I'm not sure.

If you decide not to go with them, pbrown found another place (way better than that trackskinz ish) that does a 1pc custom suit for women - Spartan Leathers - www.spartanleathers.com - $475.
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

February 17, 2009, 09:06 AM

Don't get a men's suit... there are basically two measurements for men... Tall/Short, Skinny/Fat. Women are totally different. You don't need to get a custom suit.

Someone made this reaaaaally hot womens one piece white suit, I think it was Teknic. If you're in shape and don't have massive boobies you'll fit in most stuff for your height/weight.

And if you have massive boobies, thank Jesus, and duct tape em down.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#14)
B
It goes to 11.

February 17, 2009, 09:11 AM

Ok.... here's the
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c=2&zmap=11508

And the teknic one... on closeout..
http://www.revzilla.com/product/tekn...iece-race-suit

Incidentally a lot of us get our suits tailored locally for racing, so you can get stuff customized. A well fit $500 suit will do much more to protect you than a $2000 poorly fit Vanson.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; February 17, 2009 at 09:15 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#15)
Fuhgeddaboutit!

February 17, 2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB View Post
Don't get a men's suit... there are basically two measurements for men... Tall/Short, Skinny/Fat. Women are totally different. You don't need to get a custom suit.

Someone made this reaaaaally hot womens one piece white suit, I think it was Teknic. If you're in shape and don't have massive boobies you'll fit in most stuff for your height/weight.

And if you have massive boobies, thank Jesus, and duct tape em down.
Gotcha. Thanks you two, that makes my choice a little harder but it does help, appreciate it. I had just noticed a real difference in the thickness of the leather between the A* brand and some of the others. I wish I knew someone that had crash tested an A*... Thanks for the links.

Does this mean that if I were to order something in a standard size, I could have the waist taken in later without the safety of the suit being compromised? </101 questions>