DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 613
4 members and 609 guests
davidcycle, Deep, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Trip to cali
Unread
  (#1)
2001 honda 929

Trip to cali - May 21, 2008, 08:39 AM

Planning a trip to cali in september. Looking for suggestions on gear or advice.From anyone who has done this before.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Elite Racing

May 21, 2008, 08:42 AM

Goin' back to Cali....Cali....Cali......

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Officially Addicted to Posting

May 21, 2008, 12:15 PM

Mount a GPS. Best money you'll ever spend. Mount some nice lockable cases, too. Make sure your tires have plenty of miles left on them before you leave. A tire change in Denver can really slow you down! Get a cheap XXL rain suit from Walmart that you can slip on over your gear. Tire plug kit with plenty of air cartridges. Wire an outlet so you can run your GPS off of it and use a car charger on your phone if you need to. I got one from a boat place that was water resistant.

Take lots of pictures.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#4)
2001 honda 929

May 21, 2008, 01:01 PM

sweet thanks for d tips rddy

Unread
  (#5)
Firebreathing VTwin

May 21, 2008, 09:41 PM

I'd take a practice mid distance trip as a shakedown run...
Cross country is pretty far!

I hear that lobsters in boston tastes better.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

May 21, 2008, 10:13 PM

Getting there faster

Dont focus on speeding or going fast you can cover more ground by keeping a consistant pace 10 over the speed limit and its less taxing on your mind and body. You will get more tired faster speeding all the time . Plus you might get a ticket. Take breaks only when you fill up you will cover huge amounts of ground doing this. get a radar detector.

Staying awake.

Stay off major interstates while it may take you a bit longer interstates are boring as hell. Get proper rest and wake up early its easier to stay awake when its daylight and you have had a good nights sleep. This will also highten your senses and be more alert. Get a good breakfast this is a huge one it helps alot.

Being prepared.

Bring lots of big zip ties great for emergency fixes. bring tools your tool kit, tire repair kit, with small inflater, gas siphen, chain lube rag, knife and an allen wrench set and anything you think you might need if you break down. Bring emergency supplies a full med kit, Warm gear (you will be going through many climate changes not fun to freeze your ass off), Rain gear, water proof bags, a map of the US, small compass, and a GPS and most important water I wear a camel back for long trips.

Plan Ahead
Make a basic route thats not set in stone. Wear full gear ( I wear full leathers, Its better to be safe then sorry.

Look over your bike and make sure everything is good to go.

I would switch out to some piolit roads they will last the entire trip. If you wanted to save a ton of money buy a small 1 man tent and camp insted of hotels.
Unread
  (#7)
2001 honda 929

May 22, 2008, 05:30 AM

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE TIPS . I road back from deals gap last year (up the skyline) on the 929 and I ride to and back from myrtle beach every once in a while. We are taking 800 vfrs. Comfortable but we can still lean in the mountains. We will be staying at hotels, family and fire depts. May get lucky and catch some heat at the fds. woohoo : ). Keep the tips coming,

Unread
  (#8)
Officially Addicted to Posting

May 22, 2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE TIPS . I road back from deals gap last year (up the skyline) on the 929 and I ride to and back from myrtle beach every once in a while. We are taking 800 vfrs. Comfortable but we can still lean in the mountains. We will be staying at hotels, family and fire depts. May get lucky and catch some heat at the fds. woohoo : ). Keep the tips coming,
Back roads are key. I didn't touch the interstate unless I had no other choice. Covered about 4,500 miles to get to LA so that gives you an idea of the roads that I took. I was on a VFR and easily covered 500 miles a day.

Warm weather gear is a good idea as well including a rain suit. I ran into sleet in the Rockies with snow on the ground in August. I wore full leathers, back protector, race boots and gloves and my Walmart rain suit and was fine down to 35.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy