DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 626
4 members and 622 guests
car54, davidcycle, Nobrains, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Winter riding, is this suit any good?
Unread
  (#1)
Triple Secks

Winter riding, is this suit any good? - October 15, 2008, 05:57 AM

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...t--506186.html

I've found it at several places for 200$.

Something else i came across was:
http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

The phantom i havent really seen for under 450$.

I don't have a 2 cages - just one, which the wife drives to work. So that leaves me on the bike through out the winter. 4 days a week my commute is short, ~4miles. Last year i just toughed it out with shitty gear. (mesh jacket w/liner, motocross gloves, and boots). 4miles may not seem like much, but it's enough to turn your hands/legs into blocks of ice when it's 15* out.

Once a week i have to ride out to DC, ~30miles 60-90minutes. This is different from last year, wife worked in DC so i just rode in the car with her. Worked out fairly well. I know i wont make it to DC ever once the temps really start to drop if i just try to "tough it out."

I'm looking at full piece suits, primarily for winter/rain/inclement riding..I have a pair of overpants(joerocket) but i've lost a lot of weight and the last group ride i went on i was told that MC hammer wanted his pants back. So to me it makes sense to just get a 1piece.

I'll be commuting on a 08 ninja 250 and i'm going to get heated grips for it. I havent really looked at winter gloves yet.

Taking these things into account, any feedback on the above products? I've read several reviews that the fieldsheer is pretty good but a lot of people were concerned with it's ability to protect you in a crash.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 15, 2008, 06:21 AM

yea that should be beyond good in the cold.... just make sure you get something to cover your neck.... and some good gloves thats the only thing your gonna have to worry about getting cold....
Unread
  (#3)
Got Guinness?

Premier Member since: May 22, 2009
October 15, 2008, 06:34 AM

check this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx

cheaper than knee-draggers
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 15, 2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8footasian View Post
check this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx

cheaper than knee-draggers
EVEN LOWER $178.75!!!

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/9482?WT.mc_id=666111

I have this suit and yes it is warm as hell, water proof, wind proof, has a gazillion pockets, good air venting for summer, the liner is removable, and armor everywhere. Colemans has them at the woodbridge location for 370.00 ish . Go try it on over there and order your right size on bike bandit.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

October 15, 2008, 07:28 AM

looks like all they have left is large.
Unread
  (#6)
Triple Secks

October 15, 2008, 07:28 AM

Cool, thanks for the feedback 600cbr! I'll prob order it soon.

I'm 5'10 183lbs, i think large is probably what i'll end up getting.

same routine.
Unread
  (#7)
whoa preppy......

October 15, 2008, 07:29 AM

I've had that suit. If you can, try it on somewhere and sit on a bike like yours. Mine wasn't cut for a sportbike. It choked me. I may very well be shaped weird, so YMMV.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Groundhogs can play dead

October 15, 2008, 08:06 AM

Scot (and nunya): Would you rank this equal to aerostitch?

Tanya
Unread
  (#9)
whoa preppy......

October 15, 2008, 08:12 AM

I've never had an aerostich. I've worn a borrowed one for a bit though. The above suit will last you several seasons if you care for it. An aerostich will pretty much last you until it either stops fitting for whatever reason, or you crash and it's beyond repair...which is pretty much impossible as they'll fix anything you do to it.

The major difference other than longevity is that you don't really have to break in the Olympia suit. The textile is much more bendy. Aerostichs take a fair amount of time to break in. The Olympia is good to go off the hanger.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
Unread
  (#10)
whoa preppy......

October 15, 2008, 08:15 AM

lastly, the above suit is a bit leaky with no liner in it. It's better with the liner, but in driving rains you'll get a soaked crotch/lower abdomen. Short bursts of rain are not a big deal. Gully washers, big deal.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

October 15, 2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch View Post
Scot (and nunya): Would you rank this equal to aerostitch?
That is very subjective. I am sure there are suits that work as well or better than the RoadCrafter. Just as Scot said the are not cut for a sport bike. The first RoadCrafter I tried choked me and put pressure where you don't want it. The solution in an off the rack one piece is to build more room in to it. You won't see that in the AeroStich.

You are comparing a piece that is $200 to a piece that can be $1400.00 with all the add-ons. If you look at the AeroStich site you will see that the suit can be completely customized for you to you a fit that does not flop in the breeze. I think I am pushing 70000 miles on my RC and i has held up well. The Velcro is shot and needs to be replaced and it will be good for another 70000.

Another set that I would look at is the Moto Port. With the liners that is great year around gear. I am thinking that I am going to give it a shot next year.

IMO there must be a reason why the FS is only $200. The next cheapest is $400 and the norm for this type is 5 or 600. Still, its better than nothing.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

October 15, 2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
lastly, the above suit is a bit leaky with no liner in it. It's better with the liner, but in driving rains you'll get a soaked crotch/lower abdomen. Short bursts of rain are not a big deal. Gully washers, big deal.
AeroStich has the wet crotch problem too. The RC leaks through the zippers. If you keep the flap pushed down its ok.
Unread
  (#13)
Triple Secks

October 15, 2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback Scot. I'll probably go with the fieldsheer. I can pick what day i go to DC on, so i shouldn't ever be caught in hurricane type rains if i'm careful and the weather forecasts are half accurate - and this suit is primarily for winter/cold riding...so the liner probably wont come out.

Not sure where to try it on that is close in location. The 250 sits more like a standard than a sportbike tho.

I have a nice leather jacket now, and plan on buying a full piece track suit in the spring. So year round wear and tear is not so much of a concern. I'd just like to make it through the winter without freezing.

I also dont imagine using it *daily* next winter, as i'll likely be moving and when that happens we'll probably pick up another cage as secondary transporation, so i wont have to ride on the really shitty days.

same routine.
Unread
  (#14)
whoa preppy......

October 15, 2008, 08:50 AM

a large will leave you a fair bit of room. Mine was a large. We're about the same height but I've got almost 50lbs on you. (it's all totally muscle)

The suit fit me a tad snugly, I think you'll have room for additional layers. I wore mine when I had a Sprint ST. The Sprint probably sits close to what your Ninja does but with a little more reach to the bars. It still tried to cut my head off. Then again, that might be due to the "snugness" my gut bone caused. (again, all muscle)

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
Unread
  (#15)
Triple Secks

Thumbs up October 15, 2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
a large will leave you a fair bit of room. Mine was a large. We're about the same height but I've got almost 50lbs on you. (it's all totally muscle)

The suit fit me a tad snugly, I think you'll have room for additional layers. I wore mine when I had a Sprint ST. The Sprint probably sits close to what your Ninja does but with a little more reach to the bars. It still tried to cut my head off. Then again, that might be due to the "snugness" my gut bone caused. (again, all muscle)

Sounds like the way to go, i was hoping it'd have a bit of extra room for layers for the days when it gets into the teens.

Appreciate all the feedback.

same routine.