DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
5 members and 551 guests
2blueyam, 2wheelin, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, HenryW
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Winter warmth
Unread
  (#1)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

Winter warmth - November 18, 2008, 10:45 PM

Im sure this has been covered plenty of times so my bad if its repetitve. So far ive ridden in 38 degree weather at nite time maybe a lil colder with my jacket, cold killers windresistant underlayer, a full sleeve thermal, a sweater, and cold killers glove liners, very comfortably. But my upper body gets way to bulky so i was wondering if anyone knows of thick thermal type clothing, i guess the kind they wear for snowboarding that should keep me warm so i dont have to bulk up. I hear duofold is pretty good, and i was also looking at rukka underlayer that is supposed to regulate body temp, but i am skeptical about how good it works, but if anyone has tried it let me know.
The cold killers definately eliminates almost all of the windchill factor while riding, i just gotta prep for low temps now.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 19, 2008, 07:14 AM

GET HEATED GEAR! I have been doing the Sterling to NW,DC commute for 3 years and finally got heated gear! The temp was 24 degs when I left my house and I was nice and toasty with my First Gear heated jacket liner and Heated Carbon Glove's from First Gear. I also have the Dual heat controller. If you don't want to drop the coin on heated gear at least get the Dualstar heated grips! Here is the link for the heated grips. HEATED GRIPS THAT WORK!! I got my First Gear stuff at RnR cycles in Sterling. We also have heated grips.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!

Last edited by dodge131; November 19, 2008 at 07:26 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
Typical Stripper

November 19, 2008, 07:24 AM

Only ridden once with heated gear, only way to go.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

November 19, 2008, 07:31 AM

"Thirded." Heated stuff lets you dress in pretty much normal gear--much more comfortable and maneuverable than the michelin-man approach, and warmer, too.
Unread
  (#5)
Pleased to meet me

November 19, 2008, 07:38 AM

I'm being honest here. Yesterday I read that old bikers would tape their fingernails to reduce heat loss. I'm serious and I don't want to see this in a signature line...
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 19, 2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness View Post
I'm being honest here. Yesterday I read that old bikers would tape their fingernails to reduce heat loss. I'm serious and I don't want to see this in a signature line...

Maybe that's why Scot paints his? Same concept?

I'm not familiar with wind resistant under layers, but a wind proof outer layer works wonders. If I'm at all concerned about staying warm, I typically throw a rain suit on over my gear and usually don't have a problem keeping warm.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#7)
Street Bonk Bum.....

November 19, 2008, 09:13 AM

screw that winter is for snowboarding !!
Unread
  (#8)
3 is better than 4

January 1, 2009, 11:17 PM

I wear a Fieldsheer Cyclone that I got for $343.00 awesome 3 season suit with CE Armor (back, hips, knees, shoulders, elbows) and removable liner. rode last night and it was 24 degrees and I was nice and toasty. I highly recommend this suit.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick675  
Unread
  (#9)
Instructor

January 2, 2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick675 View Post
I wear a Fieldsheer Cyclone that I got for $343.00 awesome 3 season suit with CE Armor (back, hips, knees, shoulders, elbows) and removable liner. rode last night and it was 24 degrees and I was nice and toasty. I highly recommend this suit.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx

+1- Picked one of these up from Coleman's and I haven't needed the liner in it yet (ride almost everyday). I love heated gear and own gerbing, widder and tourmaster (my favorite), but I haven't had to turn one on in a while... that and my roommates/gf keep taking them

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT