DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 626
4 members and 622 guests
car54, davidcycle, Nobrains, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Gear and Apparel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Zumo 450?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Zumo 450? - August 28, 2007, 10:01 AM

Does anyone have this unit? Are you happy with it? Is the screen readable in direct sunlight?

I am thinking of getting this over Zumo 550, because I don't care for XM, and don't plan to use crappy bluetooth with low quality bluetooth earbuds. So 550 doesn't seem to offer much over 450 to me.

Anyway, how is that screen? Do you like your purchase? Would you have bought something else instead?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
1/4 liter Duc eater

August 28, 2007, 09:16 PM

I have a 550, which at the time I bought it was only marginally more than the 450 if it was even available at the time. Don't recall which.

Anyway the gps aspect of the unit, which I expect is the same as on the 450, is fantastic. You get a couple different screens of trip data including heading, elevation, avg speed, etc. Recalculates pretty quickly and has only had trouble acquiring satellites through clouds once for me.

Touch pad is glove friendly, screen is okay but not super with the sun at your back, but otherwise very easy to read on the bike day and night. XM requires a pricey antenna, which I'm still tempted by, but as for bluetooth I agree it's worthless. The bluetooth is mono only and you're much better served by some quality helmet speakers if you want the audio prompts or mp3 functionality (haven't used either admittedly but I'll get around to it).

The unit is durable. Survived a drop from handlebar height with only a tiny scratch or two to the case and no problems functioning after. The screen itself is scratch free after probably 5000 miles of use. Seems unaffected by vibration/weather and the included ram mount is quality. I had a very easy time of crimping some o-connectors onto the included power cord and rigging it up to my bike's battery terminals.

Very pleased with the investment so far. It will be with me long after my current bike is gone.
  Send a message via AIM to