DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 589
2 members and 587 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
***CRASHED*** + a few ?s for those that have bitten the asphalt as well...
Unread
  (#1)
Being nice :)

***CRASHED*** + a few ?s for those that have bitten the asphalt as well... - December 22, 2008, 07:07 PM

As we all know, there are two types of bikers. The ones that have gone down and the ones that will.
Well, I am now in the group that has bitten the asphalt. Courtesy of some dimwit teen driver.

Here goes the e-venting about yesterday's crash....
So Im traveling North, on a two way Street...The accident's witness is traveling South (An early Xmas Angel)
Oblivious teen coming in from the West turning to go North at an intersection blows a stop sign ( my guess is she was trying to beat the witness traveling South) and not once looked my way.

So she left-turns me, and had I not swerved around to the right of her I wouldve ended up as an unwelcomed passenger in her POS cage.
Or worse...
So by making the emergency maneuver, the tail of my SV slides from under me and I end up lowsiding her left side.

I pick myself up, give myself a quick check,...all vital signs point to no injuries.
The only pain I felt was the agony of seeing my beloved baby laid out shiny side down in the middle of the road.

The hump teenager starts yelling at me saying "WTH did u come from, why did u try to go around me etc.. etc...," I immediately put an end to that by simply saying...Youre at fault and youre not even gonna ask if Im ok ?!? I make my case that she ran the stop sign, didnt yield the right of way etc...
I head over to the witness which by that time had made a u-turn and parked behind us. I ask him if he saw the whole thing, he says yes and goes straight to the teen driver and chews her out letting her know that it was her fault....gotta love my Military neighbors.

I call the cops, after a few, the officer comes straight to me and asks me what happened. I tell him exactly what happened, show him the biz card that the witness gave me, ...etc... he then goes over to her and right away tells her taht it was her fault. Hats off to this upstanding LEO. He writes up the report, we exchange info, the bike is unrideable so i push it back to my house which was a good 500-600 yards from the crash site in the bitter cold ...Maaan adrenaline is a mother !!..

I gauge the damage to the bike and my God-sent gear....
Call my Ins. Co., Progressive, give the details, drill them w/ the fact that both the LEO and the witness will corroborate my story.

So needless to say Ive gotten over the first hurdle by having her admit fault. Her insurance USAA will cover the cost of fixing it, or will cut a check if it's declared totaled. That along w/ covering the damaged gear.

Just waiting on their call now as I get prepped to counter their undoubtful low-balling

THE DAMAGE:

The oh-so important Protective Gear:
-Brand new Joe Rocket Super Street boots --$200
-Dirtbike Knee/Shin pads --$30
-Military issued camo pants over skateboarding jeans ---- $50
-Snowboarding Burton gloves - $145
-Joe Rocket jacket - $300

-Coming out unscathed - Priceless !!

The Bike's Damage:
-Clutch lever is broken
-The bar-end-mirror is broken.
-The end of the handlebar and grip is scuffed
-Shift lever is broken
-Left peg is scraped and dangling
-Tank is dented in
-Scuffs on left side of tail plastics
-Even the side stand got damaged.

-Frame slider got shaven down to the core considering it took the brunt of a 50-60 yd slide, but it did protect the major components -i.e., frame, forks and swing arm.

Which brings up the questions...
Would all this damage make for a totaled bike?
As I said earlier, this is my first crash...
What tips do u guys have for me with dealing w/ the insurance co?, the bike shop?......

Would it be better if it gets totaled considering all the damage ?! etc....

Any advice/tips in dealing w/ this mess is greatly appreciated.

You're Welcome...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
someone adopt a newb

December 22, 2008, 07:13 PM

I am glad you made it out ok man. I am guessing that wouldn't be enough to total the bike though. Although depending on the year maybe. GL.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#3)
2 wheels for life

December 22, 2008, 07:20 PM

glad u had ur gear on and are safe .. I had a similar crash lat year .. insurance company didnt bother much and just paid me a check to repair it .. also had the option to total it but I didnt .. I got the money from amica

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

December 22, 2008, 07:31 PM

Eek - sorry to hear about the wreck man.

Judging by your description doesn't seem enough to total it - would hate to see a bike have to go to the grave for such small amounts of damage.

What gen SV?

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#5)

December 22, 2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
amica
Amica?

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#6)

December 22, 2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
would hate to see a bike have to go to the grave for such small amounts of damage.
As would I !

its an '05 naked

Some of the folks on svrider are betting that the fork tubes are bent..whether i can tell w/ the naked eye or not.

They're saying the only way to tell is to roll them on a glass table hmmm.

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#7)
SMB
sans motor bike

December 22, 2008, 07:45 PM

do what I did, make a list of all of the OEM parts that are scratched & broken, take it to a shop that they approve, and if they are lazy like the shop I used, they will use your list and add a retarded labor price plus a margin above retail.....take that estimate, get the check they cut, DON'T get the work done at the shop, and keep the difference.... ...oh don't forget the "pain and suffering"....

I dip my chicken strips in Chik-fil-a sauce
Unread
  (#8)
2 wheels for life

December 22, 2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
Amica?
yea?

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#9)
TPG

December 22, 2008, 08:53 PM

if its enough damage to total it but you don't want to, have the shop that does the estimate write the damage to be just under the value of the bike, and definetly do as much work yourself as you can, including ordering parts, and keep all the extra money thats left over
Unread
  (#10)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

December 22, 2008, 10:35 PM

sorry to hear about the wreck man.

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#11)
GET SOME ! ! !

December 22, 2008, 10:52 PM

sorry to hear about your wreck, I wrecked my 2nd gen 06 SVs last September...it doesn't seem like they would total it for the damage you listed....oh, and just wondering, did your helmet get damaged at all? you didn't list it in your damaged gear.

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#12)
Now with a TBSP of love

December 23, 2008, 12:27 AM

Glad you made it out alive
Most likely they will total it. Mine (SV) was totaled after some asshat backed into it/dragged it a couple of feet. And Coluchi's SV got totaled after being knocked over.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#13)
TPG - screw face

December 23, 2008, 12:56 AM

if it's someone else's fault, there is no need to contact your insurance agency....as told to me by Progressive when a asshat teenager made a left infront of me on my first bike. Her insurance company covered everything...even the bike assesment. I called my insurance company (progressive) like WTF...they said sir...there is no need for us to be involved...nothing is your fault....i said oh ok...got my rental from her insurance agency...got my totalled check from her insurance company...and got my med bills paid by her insurance company.

sorry about ur bike and crash....
Unread
  (#14)
Street Bonk Bum.....

December 23, 2008, 05:00 AM

was the chick hot at least??
Unread
  (#15)
TPG - screw face

December 23, 2008, 08:23 AM