DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 618
2 members and 616 guests
dubplaya, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
211 Crash and Run
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

211 Crash and Run - June 23, 2009, 08:33 AM

New details have been released on what Virginia State Police are calling a high-speed chase Sunday that ended with a serious accident involving a motorcycle and a trooper in Page County.

Police say a trooper chased the speeding motorcycle at high speeds around a curve, heading eastbound on Route 211 near Brookside. The motorcycle driver then lost control, throwing him from the bike.

Police say Trooper T.A. Fox was in pursuit and collided with the motorcycle, then hit the guardrail.

The accident didn't stop the motorcycle driver. Police say 25-year-old Christopher Thomas Timberlake of Ruckersville ran away and was eventually captured behind a nearby residence.

Sgt. Les Tyler says State Police are specially trained in advanced braking and steering techniques for high-speed scenarios like this one.

He says, "Troopers go through extensive training on how to operate their vehicles at high rates of speed and in this particular case, the trooper was unable to see that there was an obstacle in the roadway until he came around the curve. And then we're dealing with high rates of speed, so that's why he was unable to avoid it."

Tyler says troopers witnessed the motorcycle speeding earlier in the day.

"The trooper did witness this vehicle earlier in the day, just before 2 p.m. and attempted to stop it, but the vehicle took off from the trooper at that point," says Tyler. "The trooper then located it again near the town of Luray."

Timberlake was sent to the University of Virginia Medical Center. As of Monday afternoon, hospital officials say he is in good condition. Trooper Fox was treated and released from Page Memorial Hospital.

Tyler says charges have not been filed at this time.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#2)
T.R.I.T.D.H

June 23, 2009, 08:36 AM

Are troopers allowed to re-continue (for a lack of a better word) their pursuit after you already got away once if they see you later in the day?

I mean it's not like they have a warrant to arrest you or anything of that sort. Why would he still be trying to chase?

Just asking out of curiousity...

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

June 23, 2009, 08:43 AM

First of all, that guy was an idiot for running and then not putting the bike away for the rest of the day.

Secondly, speed is a rate quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6 View Post
...He says, "Troopers go through extensive training on how to operate their vehicles at high rates of speed and in this particular case, the trooper was unable to see that there was an obstacle in the roadway until he came around the curve. And then we're dealing with high rates of speed, so that's why he was unable to avoid it."...
No, we're dealing with redundancy in the English language. Speed is a rate so it is incorrect to say "high rate(s) of speed." Obviously these guys spent more time practicing the braking and steering and less time in the books.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
done for now...

June 23, 2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
First of all, that guy was an idiot for running and then not putting the bike away for the rest of the day.

No, we're dealing with redundancy in the English language. Speed is a rate so it is incorrect to say "high rate(s) of speed." Obviously these guys spent more time practicing the braking and steering and less time in the books.

It's like when people say "hot water heater"? No it's a fu#king WATER HEATER. Just really grinds my gears.
Unread
  (#5)
T.R.I.T.D.H

June 23, 2009, 08:49 AM

OSD,

I get what you're saying but sometimes in our language we say things that are not correct just as a type of (dialouge...I had jargon but that's not correct) or just because....

While speed is a rate of miles per hour or kilometers per hour, it's still commonly and widely accepted to state an object was traveling at a high rate of speed opposed to high speeds (which would be correct). I would try to throw in another example of other accepted things in our language but it's early and I'm just spacing at work right now.

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#6)
Site Owner

June 23, 2009, 08:50 AM

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#7)
T.R.I.T.D.H

June 23, 2009, 08:52 AM

While Darwin could apply....

The specimen in the above senario, if he makes it out alive will possibly even stronger making him more fit to survive..lol.

Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 23, 2009, 08:57 AM

Sounds to me like the trooper was pissed that he got away once, and wanted to make certain it didn't happen again.

'08 CBR 600RR
'04 CBR 600RR track
www.MohawkRyderz.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MatDady1  
Unread
  (#9)
Asstastic

June 23, 2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele11 View Post
It's like when people say "hot water heater"? No it's a fu#king WATER HEATER. Just really grinds my gears.

Actually anything above absolute zero, which is at -273.15C, is concidered to have heat. So, in essence it IS a hot water heater......... I'm just sayin' thats all.

What grinds my gears is an grown man who enjoys frozen pink drinks........

just breakin' balz mang.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
Unread
  (#10)
done for now...

June 23, 2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #452-LE View Post
Actually anything above absolute zero, which is at -273.15C, is concidered to have heat. So, in essence it IS a hot water heater......... I'm just sayin' thats all.

What grinds my gears is an grown man who enjoys frozen pink drinks........

just breakin' balz mang.

Heat doesn't mean HOT douche
Unread
  (#11)
Asstastic

June 23, 2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele11 View Post
You want a mean HOT douche
No.

THREAD JACKING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
Unread
  (#12)
drop out

June 23, 2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post

maybe what they said was correct becasue they are reffering to rapid acceleration to speed? ds/dt where "s" is speed.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

June 23, 2009, 09:31 AM

Are we talking about the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Unread
  (#14)
Derpentine Dealer

June 23, 2009, 09:34 AM

If he had said, "high rate(s) of speed change", then he would have been talking about acceleration and would have been correct. I seriously doubt the guy has even a remote clue about what a derivative is.

The split infinitive is an example of incorrect grammar that has become so commonplace that it is accepted. I highly doubt people think about it at all.

It's a lonely plight and a thankless effort, but I'll remain vigilant in my effort to stamp out "high rate of speed" and "thanks in advance".

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#15)
Track Ho

June 23, 2009, 09:37 AM

I think it was the coreolis effect that caused the crash

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"