DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
2 members and 538 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Air Bag Jackets
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Air Bag Jackets - October 9, 2006, 03:12 PM

I stole this from ADVRIDER. I thought some of you may think it is interesting.

Quote:
It looks like I'll be riding my wife's little Suzuki for awhile.

I am a rep for Hit-Air and I was on my way to Bob's BMW to promote the introduction of the jackets and vests when something tragically ironic happened.

I was only a mile from my crappy motel in Jessup, MD, coming into busy suburban Baltimore-DC traffic on a rainy Friday rush hour, going fast to keep up with the cell-phone obsessed SUV drivers. I was on eastbound SR175 near the I-95 exit when suddenly some yo-yo in the right fast lane crosses 3 lanes of traffic to make the I-95 exit ramp, missing my front tire with his rear bumper by about 5 feet.

Instinctively, I clutched my non-ABS brakes and lost traction. I came off the bike at highway speed, slid and tumbled and came to a stop in the middle of the highway, while watching my beloved bee skid about 300 feet on it's right valve cover and crash into a guard rail.

Yes, my fancy airbag jacket did deploy and worked exactly as advertised. I never knew a motorcycle crash could be so luxurious! I didn't feel a thing. My bike is probably a total loss and my wallet will sustain even more damage in the coming days, but the cheapest part on the BMW, that is me, came away completely unharmed.

Let's just say that the line of cars that stopped or swerved to miss me were pretty astounded when I got up on my own two feet to get out of the the road and attend to my bike. The EMS people who arrived on the scene were even more surprised when I sent them away, still puffed up like a blowfish.

The next morning, my associates and I hauled the busted Bumblebee to Bob's BMW and proceeded to sent up the Hit-Air display in the showroom. When Bob Henig saw the battered bike and saw me walking around without a scratch, he was struck with sudden inspiration.

With all the subtlety of P.T. Barnum, he parked my bike by the front door and put a sign on it that read something to the effect of "Ask me how I walked away from a crash wearing a Hit-Air jacket."

So I had to recount this story for a parade of curious customers for what seemed like a 100 times.

Bob's webmistress took a zillion pictures of me with my battered beemer, which she will eventually post on the web.

At the end of the day one of the customers at Bob's drove me to the Greyhound bus station so I could get home to Pittsburgh. If you haven't gone Greyhound in awhile, it is a multi-cultural experience not to be missed.

I really want to fix the Bumblebee, but that looks doubtful. I counted at least $2000 in new parts that I can see, plus paint, labor, etc. We all know how insurance companies would rather scrap them than fix them.

So perhaps the best I can hope for is that I can at least get a fair settlement from Geico and apply the funds towards a bike with ABS brakes. Good ABS would have definitely kept the dirty side down.
http://www.hit-air.com/english/main.html

Last edited by Space; October 9, 2006 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: can't type
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Bikeless... for now

October 9, 2006, 04:50 PM

Looks kinda cool but I bet it will cost you some serious cash!!!

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
Unread
  (#3)
Rocket girl

October 10, 2006, 06:34 AM

WOW!!! Pretty cool jacket...

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#4)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 10, 2006, 07:21 AM

I want one, but can't afford it, yet. Might be my next jacket, though.

My criteria for gear, so far, is "If I had to throw myself at the ground, what would I want to be wearing?" Now multiply that by 45-60mph for good measure. My gear is never enough!

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

October 10, 2006, 09:24 AM

It has a rip cord.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#6)
Agitator

October 10, 2006, 10:42 AM

This appears cool...until one of the jokers on this board pulls your ripcord when you are at the spot and you become the human michelin man covered in mocha latte
-m

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#7)
Meh

October 10, 2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston-birdman
This appears cool...until one of the jokers on this board pulls your ripcord when you are at the spot and you become the human michelin man covered in mocha latte
-m
Exactly. How many people also forget to disconnect before dismounting the bike?
Unread
  (#8)
God Made Me Wrong

October 10, 2006, 10:55 AM

Looks pretty nifty, but I am sure I would forget to release it before getting off the bike and inflate myself accidentally...numerous times probably.

Quote:
-m
C'mon...who would do something like that?

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

October 10, 2006, 11:00 AM

yeah me too. I belive it need more than a tug to deploy. I did not realize how many companies make this stuff.
Unread
  (#10)
Agitator

October 10, 2006, 11:02 AM

They say 55lbs of force will deploy it...so a real strong tug. if anyone gets this, buy about 50 new cartidges for it, because believe me, EVERYONE is gonna want you to demo it...whether you like it or not

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

October 10, 2006, 11:04 AM

Here ya go
Quote:
Caution!

If the "one-touch release" is not unfastened before the rider dismounts, a scooter or light motorcycle may be pulled over. If the rider is attached to a heavy bike a strong tug will act as a reminder. Failure to heed this reminder may cause the "Hit Air" to inflate unnecessarily. A force of more than 25kgs (55 lbs.) is needed to activate the air cushion.
Unread
  (#12)
Asleep at the wheel!

October 10, 2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
-m

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead