DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 588
4 members and 584 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Almost Fatal Accident
Unread
  (#1)
CBR noob

Almost Fatal Accident - October 9, 2009, 03:11 AM

Okay, so I just get of from a group ride with my school's motorcycle club Terp Riders. Things were the usual. Its 9 o'clock and its time to get home and get some studying in for a quiz. My buddy from school is with me on the way back home. I'm behind him. Where nearing the Route 1 and Cherry Hill exit. To those that aren't familiar with the road, there are 5 lanes, 2 northbound, 2 Southbound, and a median lane for turning into the local stores. So back to the details. We are about 30 yards from the intersection, there is a car in front of us. Fucking car! He has the turning signals on. We are aware of this. The key thing is that he is in the middle of two lanes, the median and the north bound lane. Since the intersection is closing up and he isn't fully committed to the median lane but has the turning signal on, we are sure he is starting to Veer into the lanes that make a left onto Cheery hill Rd at the intersection, as what is the case 99.99% of the time. What happens next is insane. He makes a hard nosed banking turn into the building parking lot right b4 the intersection, all this while being in the middle of two lanes. We get cut off. My buddy impacts the car immediately. He is traveling at 25 mph, he goes Airborne at impact. I'm behind him and since it happened literally in the blink of an eye, I didn't have n e reaction time, just instinct. I don't recall what I did, but from the damage to the bike, I squeezed the brake lever hard. The bike flipped over on me, people call these Ndo's. Around 8 seconds later after I had regained my compusure, my first thought was my buddy is dead. I had seen him slam into the car and go Airborne. His body is laying on the southbound lane sidewalk, about 30 feet away. To my surprise he is moving, and somehow, stands up and walks in my direction slowly. What the hell? No one walks away from these types of accident, let alone get up. He says to me are you okay? I reply How are you not dead?

As for the bikes, my front is totaled but surprisingly the rears are intact. No engine damage. My buddies bike is totaled. But with that said the bikes can be replaced, not your life.

Things could have been a lot worse. If there would have been oncoming south bound traffic, he would have gotten hit. I'm still trying to understand how he walked away with only a minor road rash on his knees and a sore buddy.

As for my injuries, a broken wrist, road rash on knees and bruised shoulder.

As for the car, the impact was so large that his driver door latched of the hinges. He could have easily died as well.

Didn't mean to write so much but they gave me Codeine at the hospital and I'm buzzing and all the details are coming back.

Pics will be up soon. I can only conclude two things from this accident. First: Don't assume that car drivers will do the usual thing. Though the majority of drivers are good, there are also a few who drive irrationally. Don't trust them. 2nd: When its not your time its not your time. I'm happy I didn't lose a buddy today.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 9, 2009, 03:47 AM

Wow! I'm SO glad this wasn't worse! Keeping a following distance large enough is SO important when riding street. Remember, people have been known to drive cars when exhausted, drunk, without licenses, and when emotionally charged. Never assume a car will do the usual when the alternative is sampling asphalt.

I am SO happy to hear both of you are okay! I hope you feel better!

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#3)
On vacation

October 9, 2009, 03:53 AM

Damn dude, glad both of you are OK. I hope the driver gets hit with the book, maybe that'll teach him/her to pay more attention in the future. You're totally right, you've always gotta assume everyone's trying to kill you. Can't even tell you how many near misses I've had.
Unread
  (#4)
It was me.

October 9, 2009, 04:32 AM

Glad he was ok.

Mohawk Ryderz Road Captain
www.MohawkRyderz.com

"We drop sukaz!"

-
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwgOmlI0ht.../s400/byah.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Widow Maker  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

October 9, 2009, 05:59 AM

Damn sorry about your luck glad to hear you guys are still in one piece

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#6)

October 9, 2009, 06:26 AM

Get a copy of the police report today. Hopefully the cop did not write up that you were following too close or failure to maintain control.

And get a lawyer, you and your buddy should get enough cash from your injuries to have a good spring semester.
Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 9, 2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post
Get a copy of the police report today. Hopefully the cop did not write up that you were following too close or failure to maintain control.

And get a lawyer, you and your buddy should get enough cash from your injuries to have a good spring semester.
From my understanding wasn't the guy "veering" into the "turn" lane and these 2 guys in the next lane over and he turned back in front of them to go across the entire road! If so how would they be following too closely?

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#8)
got barrier?

October 9, 2009, 06:42 AM

looks like your buddy is as luck as I am

glad yall are ok.

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#9)
What's today? aah fuck it

October 9, 2009, 06:43 AM

heal up quick bro! Good write-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlleiva View Post
The bike flipped over on me, people call these Ndo's.
man, you are HIGH off your ass! lol
Unread
  (#10)
GOTTARIPANDRUNNOW

October 9, 2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
From my understanding wasn't the guy "veering" into the "turn" lane and these 2 guys in the next lane over and he turned back in front of them to go across the entire road! If so how would they be following too closely?
Thats what I thought the other guy(in car) cut across 2 lanes of traffic. Glad you some what OK! Heal up and saddle that puppy again.

RIP AND RUN COMEON!!!!!2007GSXR1000 Ride your own you rookie!http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000789219497
Unread
  (#11)
Owner & Creator

October 9, 2009, 07:51 AM

Glad your ok. SO many people are up at 4:30am
Unread
  (#12)
Site Owner

October 9, 2009, 08:28 AM

yeah I'm totally confused as to what happened... the write up wasn't very clear (codene!)..

was the guy coming at you the opposite direction and decided to turn in front of you cutting you off? Or were you all going the same direction and he decided to turn in front of you that way?

Were you speeding? wearing gear?

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

October 9, 2009, 08:35 AM

glad you both walked away to ride another day..always have to assume the worst when your dealing with cars they think because they have 4 wheels they rule the road
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to islandboy  
Unread
  (#14)
opossum puncher

October 9, 2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post

+1

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#15)
The STREETS is all I got!

October 9, 2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
yeah I'm totally confused as to what happened... the write up wasn't very clear (codene!)..

was the guy coming at you the opposite direction and decided to turn in front of you cutting you off? Or were you all going the same direction and he decided to turn in front of you that way?

Were you speeding? wearing gear?
My buddy from school is with me on the way back home. I'm behind him. Where nearing the Route 1 and Cherry Hill exit. To those that aren't familiar with the road, there are 5 lanes, 2 northbound, 2 Southbound, and a median lane for turning into the local stores. So back to the details. We are about 30 yards from the intersection, there is a car in front of us. Fucking car! He has the turning signals on. We are aware of this. The key thing is that he is in the middle of two lanes, the median and the north bound lane. Since the intersection is closing up and he isn't fully committed to the median lane but has the turning signal on, we are sure he is starting to Veer into the lanes that make a left onto Cheery hill Rd at the intersection, as what is the case 99.99% of the time.

Seems like they were behind him, there are 2 lanes going north and 2 lanes going south with ONE lane in the middle for cars turning across traffic into shopping centers etc. It appears this guy was going northbound in the same direction as the bikers, was riding in the LEFT lane AND the middle "turning" lane. But what some people (Illegal but people do it) do is ride down the middle "turning" lane to where there's an actual lane to turn left at an INTERSECTION.

Don't ask me how many years I've been riding.....ASK ME HOW MANY HOURS!!!!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to robby23rd Send a message via AIM to robby23rd