DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
1 members and 570 guests
GETFURIOUS
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Happiness Consultant

July 9, 2004, 10:33 PM

In another post ClemsonJeeper posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
This sucks.. so many wrecks.. so many cool people going down. bleh.
Word Rob.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to say to all riders, new and experienced, be careful out there.

Remember "ride your ride." Meaning ride to your comfort level and your abilities.

Me, DT and johanwanderer(Chris and Long) met up today after work for a chill ride on the backroads of Reston/Oakton/Vienna. When I met up with them, I noticed they both have their 30 day tags, so I knew it would be best to really be chill. anyway we were on Lawyers Rd in Reston, not too twisty with a sweeper here and there. Well on the second sweeper, a semi-hard left, I swept through straightened up and looked in my rear view. I was out way ahead of the others and what I saw next was pretty crappy.

I saw the lights of Long's 04 R1, with 8 day old temporary tags, go right into a concrete drainage ditch.

Thankfully Long was fine, a few scrapes but in good spirits. But if you look in his Photo Gallery you can see what happened to his bike. Im not going to rant or lecture, I just thought this type of information will let everyone know that you can never be too careful and never too confident, because you never know when you're going to go down.

I also noticed Long had this to say in another post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanwanderer
It's amazing how easy a bit of cockiness, some new, slick wheels, and a fast bike will get you sliding down a ditch.
I think knowing your mistakes and admitting to them is just as important as learning from them. You learned a valuable lesson today.

Long, glad you're ok and about your bike. One thing I am going to lecture about, get a jacket and some gloves! You have a $$$ bike. take some of that $$$ and buy gear.

Chris,(DT) good on you for not fixating on Long as he was sliding out, you most likely saved yourself from doing the same. Kudos for stopping and helping him out so quickly. I think all the newbs should take a page out of your book on humility. No one I've ridden with has been so forthcoming about their skill level. The few times we've ridden you've never shown an ounce of recklessness and you've always ridden to your ability and no further. You are going to be a badass rider one day.

word peeps. Ride safe, ride well, ride your ride.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

July 9, 2004, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave

you can never be too careful and never too confident, because you never know when you're going to go down.

I partially agree with that statement. There are many many things you can do to keep yourself from going down. Most of them cut into some of the fun though. Riding unfamilar roads at posted speed. Always double checking intersections. Leaving atleast a 3 second lead time with the person infront of you.
I am guilty of not doing everything I listed. With time, experience, and riding your own ride....it doesn't happen much anymore.
Didn't sound like this guy heeded that very important piece of advise. I am glad he wasn't hurt badly though.

Had he been riding longer than 8 days?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Richard Cranium

July 10, 2004, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave

you can never be too careful and never too confident, because you never know when you're going to go down.

I partially agree with that statement. There are many many things you can do to keep yourself from going down. Most of them cut into some of the fun though. Riding unfamilar roads at posted speed. Always double checking intersections. Leaving atleast a 3 second lead time with the person infront of you.
I am guilty of not doing everything I listed. With time, experience, and riding your own ride....it doesn't happen much anymore.
Didn't sound like this guy heeded that very important piece of advise. I am glad he wasn't hurt badly though.

Had he been riding longer than 8 days?
I totally agree with that statement....because most of the time...when you do go down....its because you were either over confidant, or not careful....Then again you could just be -ing out like steve

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
DT
Yesssssss.....

July 12, 2004, 09:22 AM

Thanks Ed for the vote of confidence - only time will tell with the riding though bro!!

As for Long - sorry about your bike bro - keep your head and you and I will ride again my friend.

Thanks also to Ed for being as cool as he is and always ready to ride with such a new rider and never hesitating to offer advice or answer questions. Thanks to (even though it sucks) Long's incident and Ed's advice on how to take curves the proper way. I learned a lot on Friday in that 15 minute interlude and my riding has improved about 1000% because of it. So thanks again Ed, and I look forward to riding with you bro.

Long - I look forward to riding again with you bro as well - no worries, shit happens and you and I will definetely ride a lot more since you're only 5 mins from work.

Late.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT