DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 149
0 members and 149 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Anyone have knee surgery before?
Unread
  (#1)
Now with a TBSP of love

Anyone have knee surgery before? - January 24, 2010, 10:20 PM

Just curious if anyone has had knee surgery before. My wife has to get it eventually after a crash last year, but so far all she's hearing is horror stories of the after effects. Anyone have any good or bad stories to share?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#2)
The Mean One

January 24, 2010, 10:48 PM

I had an ACL replacement and cartilege clean up.
If it's an ACL type of surgery, make sure you get a continuous positive movement machine (CPM). It keeps the knee moving without having to use your muscles. Mine was turned on all day and all night when I first left the hospital.

Also....some sports surgeons use an anesthetic ball for pain management. It's a plastic ball filled with paid meds with a tube the runs directly into the knee. It's continuous until the meds run out.

I had a VERY short and completely painless recovery time and no issues thanks to those 2 things.

Good luck to her.

H.

'04 Gixx 1k Track <---sold
'07 Gixx 1k Street <---sold
'12 Night Rod Special <--- on order
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Heathalee2 Send a message via AIM to Heathalee2  
Unread
  (#3)
Meet your Maker

January 25, 2010, 07:22 AM

I played my last year of college lacrosse 6 months after surgery. I still get real tight and pain after a game or long car ride with minimum leg movement.

Rehab rehab rehab

Invest in a stem machine and never miss a rehab session. Start building the leg muscles around the knee now to minimize atrophy.

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB  
Unread
  (#4)
Nubbs ban yourself!

January 25, 2010, 07:29 AM

http://sandersclinic.net/

He's in Texas but I went there for my surgery after I was not happy with what many doctors here were telling me.
I highly recommend talking with him. He was rated one of the top 5 in the country in orthopedic surgery.
Not all doctors are created equal!

http://www.sandersclinic.net/common_salvageacl.html

This is how I found him. I was on thumpertalk a lot before my accident and knew of him from there.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Mojito Anyone?

January 25, 2010, 08:18 AM

I had surgery last April. Swam like a mofo afterwards... Been snowboarding like a champ this year pain free for the most part. Have her just rehab right and follow the PTs orders and she'll be fine.

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#6)
Now with a TBSP of love

January 25, 2010, 09:23 AM

Thanks all!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#7)

January 25, 2010, 10:21 AM

Had microscopic knee surgery a couple years back, worst part....all the fluid in the knee. Every time I moved you could hear it splashing around. Pain wasn't that bad, but the splashing was a little messed up.
Unread
  (#8)
Meet your Maker

January 25, 2010, 10:34 AM

what all is being done. ei: meniscus, acl,mcl,lcl, etc... also depends on where thy retrieve new ligament. Mine had to be taken from my hamstring. The miniscus is the painful part because those are your soft pads between bones.

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

January 25, 2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
what all is being done. ei: meniscus, acl,mcl,lcl, etc... also depends on where thy retrieve new ligament. Mine had to be taken from my hamstring. The miniscus is the painful part because those are your soft pads between bones.
what he said - Spirit, I have fairly extensive knee surgery experience as both an athletic trainer back in the day and from my own surgery. PM me details or I'll happily talk to the wife.

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

January 25, 2010, 11:34 AM

i had my right ACL done 2 years ago. If you need a doctor recommendation, let me know.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#11)
Toe Dragger

January 26, 2010, 11:39 AM

Had my right knee worked on I think 7 times now, left once. ACL tear about 22 years ago, and a scope to clean it up at that point.. rehab followed.. then scoped again, more rehab, then reconstruction, then many more scopes.. I agree with everyone else though.. REHAB REHAB REHAB.. It really is not that bad, just do not let her take it easy, or try too much too soon.. if you hurt it during that time, you will have issues down the line, which is where I am daily..

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#12)
Groping is a skill...

January 27, 2010, 12:23 AM

Yeah, make sure she doesn't skimp out on rehab. She should probably also look into post rehab options. It will definitely improve her quality of life. I deal with clients that cut their rehab short or don't take it seriously all the time. That's why they come to see us unfortunately and its much harder to fix things then. Good luck...

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Serial Killer

February 4, 2010, 04:57 PM

I'm getting 5 injections in my left knee starting tomorrow, to try and prevent a 3rd operation on it. First was to clean cartilage and remove a cyst from under the kneecap, 2nd was for torn ACL last year. Still having problems, and my doctor has said I have a "degenerative condition" with the meniscus. Whatever that means - I just want a new knee

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy  
Unread
  (#14)
540 Boyz Stunt Team Rider

February 8, 2010, 08:31 PM

I blew my knee out in HS back in 99 and just got it fixed last year. Yes I went 10 years with an ACL-less knee. I wore my cartilage out because my ACL wasnt there to keep my knee joint tight. Anyway my only advice is to got it fixed asap before you wear it out. I kick myself in the butt cuz I waited to long...now I have arthritis and I have to favor it but I can still run and do all that stuff. To be honest I had a pretty evasive surgery with a cadaver ACL replacement and microfrature (drilling holes in the bone of the joint to promote new cartilage growth). I was on crutches for 6 weeks, this was because my cartelege had to grow back. If its just an ACL replacement you can pretty much walk out of surgery. Im super active, healthy & fit and I only went to rehab 3 times. I did all the exercise and joint movement myself at home without machines. I have big leg muscles for my size so I still had alot of muscle mass, even after atrophy. This surgery is def alot easier if your healthy. Again dont waste time get in there. Its a very smooth and painless surgery (for me at least).
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Typical Stripper

February 9, 2010, 05:59 AM

Just one to put my kneecap back into one piece.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to