DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 517
3 members and 514 guests
davidcycle, Heist, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

September 15, 2004, 07:42 AM

Well I got up yesterday morning and mowed my grass. Then went and did some maintenance on the R1. Checked out the weather and it called for some afternoon showers so I decided to gear up and go for a ride. I was at the end of about a 150 mile trip through Orange, Culpeper and Madison counties when disaster struck. I was on a little known road in Madison that is one of the best in the this area. I set my entry speed at about 50 into a right hand switchback got the bike leaned over and started feeding her some throttle while looking up through the turn and about 10 feet in front of me stood a nice size deer. The outside of the turn has a rather steep embankment so I leaned the bike a little further in an attempt to tighten my line to go inside Bambi. This of course took me off my desired line and onto the edge of a fresh asphalt patch. Where I am assuming that I hit some loose asphalt because the front tucked and I tried for the life of me to old the bike up with my knee when the rear also decided to go. The rest was in slow motion as I tried to hang onto the bike with my left hand as we both started spinning. Myself and my shiny new R1 came to rest in the ditch and I still have no idea what happened to Bambi.

Damage done about $3500 to the bike plus my JR riding suit and my Arai took a pretty good hit so it will be replaced. I have a mild concussion from my head smacking off the pavement along with a little bit of whiplash. I have a mild sprain of my left wrist from trying to hold onto the bike. My left knee has about a quarter size rash from where the textile pants I was wearing were completely shreaded...(already looking at some Spidi suits cause it is nothing but leather for me from here on out).

I have replayed this in my mind since it happend and I still do not know what I could of done differently. If I would of stood it up and braked I would of either hit the deer or probably ran of the road to the embankment. If I would of tried to go outside the deer I probably would of hit the deer (is was moving from left to right accross the road and stopped when it saw me) or ran into the embankment.

I wanted to share this so everyone can see that it can happen to anyone at any time. I was traveling a relatively low speed on a road I know well. I am anal about my bike maintenance and I was well within my personal comfort pace for street riding. I luckily walked away from this virtually unscathed and I can attribute it to the fact that I was wearing full protective gear.

My poor bike:

This was a relatively slow speed lowside and the Joe Rocket Razor textile pants were shredded like paper. I probably made it worse by trying to hold the bike up with my knee....but I fought it to the end!! Imagine if I had been wearing jeans.

This is the only visible damage on me. I am just very sorry and it feels like someone kicked me in the head.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YUSOSLO Send a message via MSN to YUSOSLO  
Unread
  (#2)
Brainwash Your Face!

September 15, 2004, 07:53 AM

OH NO! Ken so sorry to hear about this. Glad you are OK!

Please, please tell me you had venison for dinner

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

September 15, 2004, 08:03 AM

wow...i'm glad you're OK

sux 'bout the bike tho

Tara
98 gsxr 750 - track
08 gsxr 750 - street
I must not fear ~ Fear is the mind killer
I will face my fear ~ I will let it pass through me
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing....
only I will remain
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

September 15, 2004, 08:05 AM

Glad you're OK. Sorry to hear about the bike.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#5)
DT
Yesssssss.....

September 15, 2004, 08:20 AM

Sorry to hear about the bike bro... On the bright side - you walked away Glad to hear you're ok.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

September 15, 2004, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
Sorry to hear about the bike bro... On the bright side - you walked away Glad to hear you're ok.
werd... bikes can be repaired, and your wound will heal...so all in all not to much to be pissed about just be glad you walked away..now go buy a slug gun and hunt bambi to extinction
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to 04bluegsxr Send a message via AIM to 04bluegsxr  
Unread
  (#7)
Addicted to farm animals

September 15, 2004, 08:57 AM

Damn bro I am sorry to see this. Glad you o.k. tho. Those damn deer are very unpredictable.

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1