DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 505
3 members and 502 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bike down! Need your help / advice please
Unread
  (#1)
Guilty-Ones Sgt. at Arms

Angry Bike down! Need your help / advice please - May 27, 2009, 12:23 PM

State: Virginia
1999 katana 600

My katana was hit last week in my workplace parking lot. I was in my office when my coworker came in and told me that she hit my bike with her GMC Yukon. She was parked next to me, and hit the bike leaving her parking space right next to mine. She just swung out out of the spot. She cracked the left fairings, mirror, turn signal...then when the bike fell over on the right side she broke the pegs, dented my D&D, scratched the starter cover, bent the clip-on, broke the turn signal, broke the front brake lever, scratched the front wheel fairing, broke the right side fairing, under cowling, bar end, passenger handle, tank scratched, and damaged the right rear fairing to the point that the undertail screw clips are gone and cant hold "the shovel" flush with the rear fairings. All the new OEM parts came to about $4500 dollars including shipping and labor to install. I just got done putting $2000 worth of upgrades on the bike (D&D, ivans jet kit, ignition advancer, RK chain, Vortex sprocket kit, speedbleeders, new pads, valve job, carb clean, dyno tune, air filter, oil filter etc..only 60 days ago). The ladies insurance company "Nationwide" offered me $3200 dollars and to "Total" the bike and give me a salvaged title which will not allow me to ride the bike on the street, or take $2400 dollars for cosmetic damage and not have my Title affected...still be able to ride it on the street. The bike rides fine, mainly just cosmetic damage. Cant I get her insurance company or her to pay to fix the bike completely? Iam at 0% fault, so can I go after her for the rest, or just sue her for the entire balance? My bike was pristine before she hit it, so I just cant see the logic in me having to accept less money than it takes to fix the bike because it still rides the same. Any relevant experiences of information would be extremely helpful in me trying to figure out how to proceed.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG

May 27, 2009, 12:29 PM

Sorry to hear

(that you threw that much money into a Katana WTF?)

and no, the 2 options the insurance lady gave you are your only 2 options
Unread
  (#3)
TPG

May 27, 2009, 12:32 PM

sounds like she hit it, then ran it over... good luck

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#4)
Guilty-Ones Sgt. at Arms

May 27, 2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the advice...I love the katana as I ride about 20k miles a year and dont need wrist surgery. Its no supersport, but never was intended to be one...just a sport touring bike... but quick and nimble enough to hit the twisties hard with the right riding techniques...hevy enough not to be blown around on the highway. I also love the 400 dollars a year for full coverage. My first bike, and it pains me to see it like this after 35k miles without even a driveway drop.
Unread
  (#5)
Street Bonk Bum.....

May 27, 2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell3535 View Post
Thanks for the advice...I love the katana as I ride about 20k miles a year and dont need wrist surgery. Its no supersport, but never was intended to be one...just a sport touring bike... but quick and nimble enough to hit the twisties hard with the right riding techniques...hevy enough not to be blown around on the highway. I also love the 400 dollars a year for full coverage. My first bike, and it pains me to see it like this after 35k miles without even a driveway drop.

ever thought of a SV650 or 1000?

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#6)
Tough guy

May 27, 2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrownw View Post
Sorry to hear

(that you threw that much money into a Katana WTF?)

and no, the 2 options the insurance lady gave you are your only 2 options
+1 :blamo: Take the $$$ and the title. Donate the bike or part it out! Get something else for cheap...KATANAs SUCK ASS!

WORST F'ING PIECE O' CRAP I EVER OWNED!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#7)
Duct tape is for champs!

May 27, 2009, 12:59 PM

Take the $3200, part out the bike and come get yourself a spankin new FZ6R. Similar ride as the Tuna but faster, lighter and IMO...better looking, did I mention FI, no mo choke!!

Throttle or brakes, there are no other options
Unread
  (#8)
TPG

May 27, 2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-mac View Post
Take the $3200, part out the bike and come get yourself a spankin new FZ6R. Similar ride as the Tuna but faster, lighter and IMO...better looking, did I mention FI, no mo choke!!

Listen to this man IMO... Same ride style, better bike.

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

May 27, 2009, 01:02 PM

Take the $$ and the title, in va you can restore the bike, have it inspected by VDOT/DMV, and get a clean title (this was done by the previous owner with my bike, and my title says nothing of the previous salvage status)

You can fix her up on the cheap and pocket the rest, or you can part it out and use the cash to by something new.

Installing fairings etc is not something you need a dealer to do, in fact nothing that needs to be fixed on your bike requires a dealer.

Sorry it happened.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#10)
Say Jur Oh

May 27, 2009, 04:18 PM

If you refuse to accept their offers, you can try to argue the value of the bike is greater than their assessment.

Secondly you can file a lawsuit and sue for more. Talk to a lawyer and they'll tell you about all the hardship this and inconveniece that, as grounds to sue for monetary compensation. You may find though that the cost is not worth the return and hassle.

If you have pictures of how prestine the bike was, reciepts for the equipment damaged, etc, I would at least try to argue up the "totaled" price. Worst thing that can happen is they don't budge and you take $3200 and part it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#11)
T.R.I.T.D.H

May 27, 2009, 04:26 PM

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with this situation. And I'm not going to persuade you to get a new bike. You bike is your bike. Your soul is your soul.

I definitely would not take the 3200 and salvage it being that you can't ride a salvage bike in VA. Now if in FL or some other STATE, then maybe. You could possibly talk to your insurance. File a claim with them....they look out for YOU. And then let them pursue the difference directly from your co-workers insurance company. That way you are putting the people you hire to work for you that you pay monthly or yearly or whenever, and it's of no loss to your record b/c the loss was recouped from your company.

That's what I would do if I was not getting the value from what the other company was providing. Now if my own insurance company came back to me and told me the same or similar amounts...then you have a little thinking to do.

Good Luck. IT REALLY SUCKS WHEN SOMEONE JACKS UP YOUR BIKE AT NO FAULT OF YOUR OWN. I feel you.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#12)
Meet your Maker

May 27, 2009, 04:42 PM

did you list all the aftermarket equipment you had on it and the prices? If not add those, take pics, and show receipts. They will give you more

If not I would take the totalled option and the money. Part out the rest and put that money toward another bike.

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB  
Unread
  (#13)
GDMFSOB

May 27, 2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijirou View Post
If you refuse to accept their offers, you can try to argue the value of the bike is greater than their assessment.

Secondly you can file a lawsuit and sue for more. Talk to a lawyer and they'll tell you about all the hardship this and inconveniece that, as grounds to sue for monetary compensation. You may find though that the cost is not worth the return and hassle.

If you have pictures of how prestine the bike was, reciepts for the equipment damaged, etc, I would at least try to argue up the "totaled" price. Worst thing that can happen is they don't budge and you take $3200 and part it out.
Yup. I did that after a car I had was hit (although it was not totaled). I also filed suit to collect compensation for the difference in retail value because Carfax would show it had been in a wreck. They settled for an additional %16 of the total estimate.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#14)
You meet the nicest

May 27, 2009, 07:14 PM

Don't file a claim but do call your insurance agent, they're supposed to be "your people" and may have some advice. Hopefully the perp doesn't use the same company.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#15)
Playing with toys

May 27, 2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijirou View Post

Secondly you can file a lawsuit and sue for more.

Both are excellent options.

Bring receipts and itemize everything, they might work with you if totaling it is the only option if you can get them to tune into your side of the situation.

Sorry to hear about the bike

PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  

Tags
accident, advice, drop, insurance, wreck