DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 542
1 members and 541 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Blue Ridge Mountain Rd Strikes Again..
Unread
  (#1)
No bike, jus here 4 drama
 
Meatspin's Avatar
 
Posts: 783
Join Date: April 14, 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA
Blue Ridge Mountain Rd Strikes Again.. - September 8, 2007, 08:29 PM

Friend of mine got bit today on Blue Ridge Mountain Rd.. Southbound, about 2 miles from the RT 50 intersection. There's that one turn that sweeps to the right and looks like it's straightening out.. and then it tightens up on you. He couldn't hold his line, stood up the bike and mashed the brakes. Hit a large rock on the shoulder and everything went flying. Same curve that got the guy on the Monster at the beginning of the season..

Result... Shattered ankle, broken in 3 places and dislocated badly. (It was pointing in unnatural directions). Also assorted road rash and a few stitches in a forearm. Here are a few pics from my camera phone..
If you're not already familiar with this road, and find yourself riding it.. please be aware of this corner, also, the one at the very end before you get to Rt. 50. The paramedics from the Mt. Weather Rescue Center called the site of the crash today "Motorcycle Corner"...

Ambulance ride to Winchester Medical.. while we were there, 3 riders were life flighted in from Summit Point. Rough day at the races apparently..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crash 1.jpg (219.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg crash 2.jpg (235.5 KB, 65 views)


"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics



Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Playing with toys
 
N8RIDER's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,587
Join Date: May 14, 2005
Location: Western PWC
September 8, 2007, 08:53 PM

Sorry to hear about your friends get-off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatspin
while we were there, 3 riders were life flighted in from Summit Point. Rough day at the races apparently..
Everyone say a little prayer for this guy....
Expert Middleweight Grand Prix
(not sure what he ran today)
Number 217 - YAM600
DAVID ROSE, SYKESVILLE, MD. Castles-and-Cottages,Traxxion-Dynamics,E

He wrecked about 4:30ish and got airlifted off of Summit Main from turn 3. Not sure what happened but his bike got twisted and he was laying against the air wall motionless. Such a shocking sight that it made my last few laps on Jefferson very difficult to complete. Totally messed with my head seeing him lap after lap from a distance.


#236
PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ
 
Space's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,556
Join Date: August 17, 2005
Location: Berryville
September 8, 2007, 09:07 PM

My mom pitch oneof her bikes down that road. She got a little too on top of a wet yellow line.....

I know that corner I have had an up close and personal with the ditch....fortunately I won.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Ballaugh Bridge
 
CrazyMotorcycleGuy's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,871
Join Date: September 29, 2002
Location: VA
September 8, 2007, 09:09 PM

Standing it up, braking and running off/wide it what took the lives of 3 of the last 4 riders lost. I've never come across a turn on that road that caught me by surprise.



There were two medevacs today. The first was the result of a four-bike wreck early in turn 4 caused by an erratic slower rider, who instead of holding his line, ran wide and collected three bikes going around the outside. That rider had a broken femur and ankle, and a possibly a broken wrist. As of 7pm or so he was still in surgery. One other rider from that incident was transported by ground. I'm not sure who this guy is other than an amateur rider.

David Rose was knocked out for about 5 minutes. Once they got his helmet off his breathing normalized and he came to. He was alert, oriented and answer questions, though slowly. His right collarbone was broken. The made reason for the medevac was the head injury. His helmet had extensive damn. As fast as anyone can go through turn 3 is how fast he was going. No doubt the airfence made a big difference in the outcome.


'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer
 
OrangeShirtDude's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,464
Join Date: April 6, 2007
Location: "Going Bonkers"
September 8, 2007, 09:14 PM

Wes, sorry about your friend. Hope he has a speedy recovery.


How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Where to????
 
mtnhgh's Avatar
 
Posts: 302
Join Date: August 12, 2006
Location: Paris
September 8, 2007, 10:10 PM

It's kinda late now, but for future reference: I live one driveway away from that turn (towards route 7 with a flag on the mailbox)! If I hadn't gone to the races today, I would have heard the commotion and helped you guys out.
If anyone wrecks on this road, let me know or let tfinch know and she can get a hold of me.

I hope your friend heals up quick - he's more than welcome to join me on the couch for the next month. I'm home with a broken leg due to deer traffic. I'm currently preparing to sue the Bambi family.


Chris
08 FJR1300

aka. Sherpa

MARRC Cornerworker
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Playing with toys
 
N8RIDER's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,587
Join Date: May 14, 2005
Location: Western PWC
September 9, 2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
Standing it up, braking and running off/wide it what took the lives of 3 of the last 4 riders lost. I've never come across a turn on that road that caught me by surprise.



There were two medevacs today. The first was the result of a four-bike wreck early in turn 4 caused by an erratic slower rider, who instead of holding his line, ran wide and collected three bikes going around the outside. That rider had a broken femur and ankle, and a possibly a broken wrist. As of 7pm or so he was still in surgery. One other rider from that incident was transported by ground. I'm not sure who this guy is other than an amateur rider.

David Rose was knocked out for about 5 minutes. Once they got his helmet off his breathing normalized and he came to. He was alert, oriented and answer questions, though slowly. His right collarbone was broken. The made reason for the medevac was the head injury. His helmet had extensive damn. As fast as anyone can go through turn 3 is how fast he was going. No doubt the airfence made a big difference in the outcome.
Thanks for the update.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
I'm so tired
 
GhostRydr's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,694
Join Date: May 3, 2005
Location: Ashburn
September 9, 2007, 05:57 AM

Heal up fast. We are all here if you need anything.


Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Where to????
 
mtnhgh's Avatar
 
Posts: 302
Join Date: August 12, 2006
Location: Paris
September 9, 2007, 06:00 AM

I am going to put up my own street sign for this corner (Finchy's idea), since VDOT doesn't seem to think all the accidents in this turn are significant. I have seen far too many bikes go down on this curve since I moved here in 98'

Any suggestions on what I should put on this sign.???


Chris
08 FJR1300

aka. Sherpa

MARRC Cornerworker
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ
 
Space's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,556
Join Date: August 17, 2005
Location: Berryville
September 9, 2007, 08:11 AM

Chris

Just paint "slow" or something on the road that way VDOT won't take it down.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
No bike, jus here 4 drama
 
Meatspin's Avatar
 
Posts: 783
Join Date: April 14, 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA
September 9, 2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhgh
I am going to put up my own street sign for this corner (Finchy's idea), since VDOT doesn't seem to think all the accidents in this turn are significant. I have seen far too many bikes go down on this curve since I moved here in 98'

Any suggestions on what I should put on this sign.???

I have been thinking the same thing since yesterday.. for starters, a good old fashioned can of spray paint and a "SLOW DOWN" written on the pavement ought to get the message across. (I saw this last month down on the Cherohola Skyway, and it was pretty effective). Although I don't want to be labeled a vandal.. I just can't believe there isn't a VDOT sign on that corner...


"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics



Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
Where to????
 
mtnhgh's Avatar
 
Posts: 302
Join Date: August 12, 2006
Location: Paris
September 9, 2007, 08:51 AM

My property ends after the begining of the first curve so I could have the sign on my property. I will deal with VDOT. Maybe they will contact me after I start putting up signs. So honestly what would you guys suggest I put on a 2x3 or 3x4 sign to help our fellow riders newbies and veterens? I was thinking just a simple:

CAUTION DANGEROUS CURVE

OR

MOTORCYCLES SLOW DANGEROUS CURVE

Obviuosly it would be stacked not in a sentence.


Chris
08 FJR1300

aka. Sherpa

MARRC Cornerworker
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
Nubbs ban yourself!
 
n2sport's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,000
Join Date: June 27, 2006
Location: Fredneck MD
September 9, 2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhgh
My property ends after the begining of the first curve so I could have the sign on my property. I will deal with VDOT. Maybe they will contact me after I start putting up signs. So honestly what would you guys suggest I put on a 2x3 or 3x4 sign to help our fellow riders newbies and veterens? I was thinking just a simple:

CAUTION DANGEROUS CURVE

OR

MOTORCYCLES SLOW DANGEROUS CURVE

Obviuosly it would be stacked not in a sentence.
I really wish there were more neighbors like you. On the turn I went down on it was very disheartning to hear the guy who lived on that corner say, "Yea, on the weekends I can sit out here and just watch the bikes go down." It was like it was his pass time instead of trying to do anything to prevent it.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
I'm not mad
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Posts: 102
Join Date: April 20, 2007
Location: WV
September 9, 2007, 10:19 AM

Wow. I was on that first ride at the beginning of the season when the rider went down. I think wearing gear made all the difference in the level of injuries on that ride. I'm sure it did on this one as well.

Same turn? Damn, it is a tight one.

From the picks, looks like this crash was a lot worse. Hope your friend recovers quickly. Maybe he'll get some happy pills out of it (hey - always look for the bright side).



Hot tea in the parlor makes the ladies holla
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
One and Only
 
Cloaca's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,281
Join Date: June 4, 2004
Location: Cumberland, MD
September 9, 2007, 10:22 AM

Or....people should take responsibility for themselves and slow the fuck down.


Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.