DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 539
2 members and 537 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

August 19, 2005, 12:01 PM

Guess who lost?

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/...NEWS01/50816010

Man charged with murder, assault after motorcycle riders forced off road
BY TERRI SANGINITI / The News Journal
08/16/2005

State police have charged a Dover man with running two motorcyclists off the road, killing one and injuring the other.

Willis R. Miller, 27, of the 4000 block of W. Denneys Road, surrendered to detectives at Delaware State Police Troop 3 this morning to face charges of second-degree murder and second-degree assault. He was committed to the Delaware Correctional Center after failing to post $110,000 bail.

Miller is accused of running Joseph D. August, 40, of Smyrna, off the road following a road-rage confrontation on Del. 11 north of Hartly on Sunday. August slammed into a tree and was killed.

An autopsy conducted by the state Medical Examiner’s Office determined August died of a massive hemorrhage due to multiple fractures of the spine, sternum and ribs caused by to blunt force trauma, said Jay Lynch, spokesman for the state Department of Health and Social Services. The death was ruled a homicide.

After allegedly hitting August with his Chevrolet Suburban, Miller then struck Matthew M. Passwaters, 44, of Bear, who was riding ahead of August, police said. Passwaters ran off the road into a field. He was treated at Kent General Hospital for an injured hand and released.

Neither motorcyclist was wearing a helmet, police said.

State police spokesman Cpl. Jeff Oldham said detectives were told Monday night that Miller was the driver of the Suburban they had been seeking -- after Smyrna police received an anonymous tip.

Detectives went to Miller’s home Monday night and learned that he had already left the state and was en route to Florida, Oldham said.

“We were able to make contact with him on his cell phone and convince him to return to Delaware,” Oldham said.

***originally posted by Dan on cycleforums****

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#2)
DAS BOOT

August 19, 2005, 12:03 PM

Damn...

Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

August 19, 2005, 12:32 PM

I say we find this guy and run over his ass

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

August 19, 2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell2001b
Yes because two wrongs ALWAYS make a right....

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
DAS BOOT

August 19, 2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
Quote:
+1

Unread
  (#6)
DFL

August 19, 2005, 12:56 PM

Here's the story from before they caught the guy. Details a little more of what went on.
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0353/1001/NEWS

BY TERRI SANGINITI / The News Journal
08/16/2005

State police were searching Monday for the occupants of a sport utility vehicle that ran two motorcycles off the road, killing one rider, after a road rage fracas Sunday night near Hartly.

Joseph D. August, 40, of Smyrna, was killed, and Matthew M. Passwaters, 44, of Bear, was injured when a two-tone brown Chevy Suburban forced them off Del. 11, police said. The Suburban, with two white males inside, was last seen speeding north on Del. 11 north of Hartly, authorities said.

August, who hit a tree head-on, was pronounced dead at the scene. Passwaters was treated for a hand injury at Kent General Hospital.

Delaware State Police spokesman Cpl. Jeff Oldham said the incident began when the Suburban, traveling west on Del. 44, failed to fully stop at a stop sign and cut off the motorcyclists as they turned from eastbound Del. 44 to northbound Del. 11.

Oldham said the Suburban driver made an insulting hand gesture toward the motorcyclists. The cyclists turned around and stopped on the westbound shoulder while the Suburban driver stopped in the westbound lane, Oldham said.

"Apparently, there was a verbal altercation," Oldham said. "August kicked off the vehicle's passenger-side mirror, and Passwaters banged on the window."

The cyclists turned onto Del. 11 north, and the Suburban drove west on Del. 44. About three miles away, Passwaters, who was following August, noticed the Suburban was tailing them, Oldham said. Passwaters pulled alongside August and alerted him before pulling ahead.

The Suburban hit August, forcing him off the east edge of the road, where he and his motorcycle hit the tree, police said. The results of an autopsy were not available Monday. The Suburban hit Passwaters' motorcycle, forcing him into a field, and sped off, authorities said.

Investigators were treating the case as a homicide. Anyone with information on the Suburban, possibly a 1985 to 1995 model, or its operator is asked to call 697-4454 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at (800) TIP-3333.

The fatality is the 12th involving a motorcycle in the state this year.

"They should have sent a poet"
Unread
  (#7)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

August 19, 2005, 12:58 PM

Looks like 2 wrongs made it worse.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#8)
DAS BOOT

August 19, 2005, 12:59 PM

No matter who was at fault here.. ( I know I know- I am one to preach) it should never get this far.

Unread
  (#9)
Typical Stripper

August 19, 2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
No matter who was at fault here.. ( I know I know- I am one to preach) it should never get this far.
Seriously.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Retired to most ...

August 19, 2005, 01:10 PM

For real!! Retaliation is what causes things like this to happen.
May that rider RIP.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#11)
Silence... I keeeel you

August 19, 2005, 01:12 PM

"Apparently, there was a verbal altercation," Oldham said. "August kicked off the vehicle's passenger-side mirror, and Passwaters banged on the window."

This is exactly why I tell the tough people who say things like "eff that I'd kick /smack the mirrors off the car" or the guys who like to throw BBs and Ball bearings to leave it alone. You're not going to win in a battle of mass.

On the other hand...had I been the rider...and saw the vehicle bearing on me...I would have made good use of my throttle.

In the end, everyone losses. The road rage driver gets to think about his consequences for the next few years in prison. One road rage rider gets to think about it while in the hospital. And the last rider gets to be dead. Road rage = can I make it any simpler?
Unread
  (#12)
Asleep at the wheel!

August 19, 2005, 03:03 PM

Why 2nd degree murder? Why not 1st degree?

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead 
Unread
  (#13)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
August 19, 2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Looks like 2 wrongs made it worse.
No but three rights make a left

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#14)
Spike

August 19, 2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
Quote:
No, because do unto others!

I think the punishment should fit the crime. But that's just me.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#15)

August 25, 2005, 01:44 AM

The driver needs to do us a favor and just slit his goddamn throat. Awful bastard, he killed someone over a side-view mirror, WTF!!! This makes me seriously angry, I hope those prosecutors send him the fuck away where he will have his ass raped every fucking day till he dies a miserable death... alone, broken, scared and pitiful.

DON'T BECOME A STATISTIC!
Ride a Kawasaki.