DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 567
5 members and 562 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Close call. Look through turns!
Unread
  (#1)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

Close call. Look through turns! - July 30, 2009, 08:55 AM

This morning's commute left me feeling somewhat haunted. It's a beautiful morning, perfect temperature, lovely weather. I spent my ride chillin' and dodging deer (a lot of baby deer out there lately), no big deal.

I get to work and go to make the right-hand turn on to the base. I'm watching my speed through the turn, nervous because the fellow behind me is following rather close, when I look up to see the silver car stopped in front of me. Is she stopped? It was hard to tell. No brake lights.

I hit my brakes hard, careful to give the back brake more than the front (last time I slammed on my brakes, I locked up the front wheel, which is terrifying). My back tire squealed on the pavement, so I let up on it (BAD idea!) whereupon it regained traction and might have high-sided me if I hadn't already come to a stop. At the same time, I used my "out" moving towards the double yellow line as I slid up next to the stopped silver car. The lady in the car never looked at my motorcycle squealing next to her driver's side window. She was completely clueless that stopping in a through lane might be a bad idea.

Afterwards I looked at the situation. A large brown truck was on the shoulder and it seems she had stopped to let him out. The truck wasn't moving, either. As I recovered from some serious adrenaline, the brown truck lazily pulled in front of the stopped silver car, and both moved on as if nothing had happened. I have no idea why she had no brake lights, but I take the fault as my own.

If I had been looking through that turn as I should have, I never would have gotten that close. I also probably want stickier tires for my light bike. BattleAxes might have been fine for a heavy Katana, but a light FZ6 doesn't get the same rubber + asphalt friction. I'll listen to Bambam next time.

Everyone LOOK THROUGH YOUR TURNS!

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SUPERBITCHIN'

July 30, 2009, 09:00 AM

msf class, ride your skid out.
I'm glad that nothing bad happened and that an important lesson was reminded.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#3)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

July 30, 2009, 09:06 AM

FZ6 is light?

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#4)
Elite Racing

July 30, 2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
I have no idea why she had no brake lights, but I take the fault as my own.
Maybe her car was a stick shift and she wasn't on the brakes?

Glad you're okay and didn't crash.

We're all bound to have "oh shit" moments like you had this morning. If we can all learn from them, it'll make us better riders.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

July 30, 2009, 10:41 AM

Glad you stayed up and out of that car's trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
I hit my brakes hard, careful to give the back brake more than the front (last time I slammed on my brakes, I locked up the front wheel, which is terrifying). My back tire squealed on the pavement, so I let up on it (BAD idea!) whereupon it regained traction and might have high-sided me if I hadn't already come to a stop.
Locking up your front brake shouldn't scare you out of using it more, it should scare you into practicing how to use it correctly (something I need to do, too ) I definitely don't know the situation, but usually locking up the front brake is a result of clamping on it quickly instead of gradually squeezing it to allow weight to shift forward onto the front tire. Using the front brake properly will stop you MUCH faster than using the rear brake more than the front.

The only thing about that is that you have to remember to let off the front brake if you want to swerve, like you did in this situation. The front brake may have stopped you soon enough that you wouldn't have had to swerve, but I wasn't there so this is just speculation. Either way, hard braking (and swerving) is something that should be practiced. I really need to follow my own advice...
Unread
  (#6)
TPG

July 30, 2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguyGS View Post
Glad you stayed up and out of that car's trunk

Locking up your front brake shouldn't scare you out of using it more, it should scare you into practicing how to use it correctly (something I need to do, too ) I definitely don't know the situation, but usually locking up the front brake is a result of clamping on it quickly instead of gradually squeezing it to allow weight to shift forward onto the front tire. Using the front brake properly will stop you MUCH faster than using the rear brake more than the front.

The only thing about that is that you have to remember to let off the front brake if you want to swerve, like you did in this situation. The front brake may have stopped you soon enough that you wouldn't have had to swerve, but I wasn't there so this is just speculation. Either way, hard braking (and swerving) is something that should be practiced. I really need to follow my own advice...
exactly, using the rear brake in a panic stop situation usually leads to trouble, learn to use the front brake properly, it is extremely effective
Unread
  (#7)
SUPERBITCHIN'

July 30, 2009, 11:00 AM

I never use my rear brake, that's probably not good also

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#8)
someone adopt a newb

July 30, 2009, 11:15 AM

I had an "Oh Shit" moment today as well. I slab it the entire way for my commute. Taking 29 to 66 into DC is interesting enough. Having the idiots use the turn lane onto Westmoreland as a way to pass traffic makes it even more so. Look left at the car next to me since he swerved at me and as I looked straight...oh good. The truck ahead of me slamming on his brakes. Stopping that quick was fine while watching the guy behind me get close real fast. Live and learn I guess. I will be practicing more panic stops as well.

Originally Posted by vonstallin
That shit is like wearing a condom your whole life while living in DC, but going to brazil and going bare back with all the chicks because they look better.

derilict:
So next time you feel the need to prove to the world that you should have been euthanized as a child, do it in someone else's thread.

"No such thing as to pretty to ride. The prettier they are the harder you should ride them. This is also true when it comes to woman." Nubbs

Thank you,

Management

2006 SV650: RIP
1982 Yamaha XJ650: Went old school, but moving on
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#9)
Still here

July 30, 2009, 11:16 AM

Glad you're OK, Kat!

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#10)
Chillin...

July 30, 2009, 11:33 AM

UGH...makes my stomach knot up just to read your story!! I had a serious 'oh-shit' moment on the way to Winchester once. It was my first long ride. Light changed, car stopped, I couldn't cause I was going too fast and didn't anticipate the light changing...locked up the rear wheel...not enough front break...freaked out cause the rear was all over the place...let off rear break...still going too fast...swerved into the turn lane...luckily no one was coming up behind me...locked up the rear again using more front break...managed to stop right at the line. After that happened, I did some serious breaking drills and now I always anticipate that the light could change. Live and learn!

Glad you're ok!!

ELITE RACING PIT BITCH
MARRC Cornerworker of the Year 2009
www.marrc.org

Godspeed Bambi...September 11th 2009
Unread
  (#11)
Pedal faster

July 30, 2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
I never use my rear brake, that's probably not good also
Um, confession time - I don't use mine much at all either. How bad is that?

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold
Unread
  (#12)
TPG

July 30, 2009, 11:53 AM

its not bad at all, only time I use mine is if I'm on a gravel road or running off into the dirt/cornfield
Unread
  (#13)
Contributor

July 30, 2009, 11:57 AM

Glad you are ok.

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#14)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

July 30, 2009, 11:58 AM

Indeed, knowing and doing are two different things. The ERC (experienced riders course) taught me that. I'm a know-it-all in the classroom. I look like a second-grader in the parking lot.

I think my next bike is going to have ABS...

I've slid my tires a few times, now, and fortunately not once have they ended in a tip-over. I didn't have to swerve to use my "out" as I had enough room to plan for it, I just guided myself in that direction (I'm always ready to use the out if I have to!) so it didn't cost me any traction. I just had too much speed for a complete stop in the space provided.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#15)
SIN MC Event Coord

July 30, 2009, 12:01 PM

you could also play with the break settings on your lever. I loosened mine up, since it helps that "oh shit" grabbing moment on the brake, gives you a bit more squeeze before it bites.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to buckshot