DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
2 members and 569 guests
davidcycle, Heist
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

July 19, 2004, 11:28 AM

I wanted to hit everyone one up on some of their close calls and what they did to avoid an accident. All too often we hear about accidents but what about the successful rides? Heading out for 100+ mile trek and making it home without a scratch to me is something to be proud of.
So, what are some of the things you have come across and what was it that made the difference between an accident and a close call?
I'll share my first even though I'm a noob, I'll share what happened to me.

On Saturday Brooks, LadyK, Eduardosuave, Matt (Katrider?), and I met up and rode out west. For the most part the day was fine with the first incident being Karli seeing a fast approaching truck so she slowed down and came to a stop in some grass.

Well, on the way back home, we were near the Middleburg TWT meeting place when I was heading downhill and spotted a black cadillac on my right that was going to make a left hand turn. I first noticed the car so I slowed down, I then noticed the driver was looking to their right (opposite where I was coming from) and saw the front tire beginning to move. So, I immediately slowed down a bit in case she did come out I could either brake or avoid her. Well, as I got closer and closer she began to edge out more and more so I slowed down to about 30mph so I knew I could pretty much stop or turn. As I'm about maybe 20 feet away I notice she's still edging forward so I was fully ready to do something drastic at this point. Well, as I got closer I got ready and watched her and beeped my horn a bit and stood ready coverning the clutch and brake in case she did not stop. Finally, she stopped with her car half way in my lane...nice right? So I went around quickly and said a quick thank you to the man upstairs who was obviously watching over me. I guess the moral was, I noticed the danger and slowed down enough to where I could deal with it.
Anyone else have a story to share please do!
-Chris
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
What's today? aah fuck it

July 19, 2004, 11:47 AM

Hey Chris. I've had plenty of close calls, but the one that got me the closest to wet pants was ....

The story:

I was B&N last thursday with a bunch of people from this site (DT, Kasper, FlyinBy, Screamin). On our ride back, we decided to go to Champps in Herndon. I was in the back of the group along with my wingman Chris for most of the ride on 495, but for some reason, I ended up in the front when our exit came up. Now, keep in mind I had let my other friend (with the same helmet as mine borrow my clear visor, b/c he's more a noob than I am, and he was 2 up. So I was nice enough to let him switch the tinted one with me) Anyways, I was taking the turn onto rt 7 west and this off ramp was dark as hell. I relied on the white strip on the right side of the lane to guide me through. But about 3/4 of the way into the turn, I realized the white stripe was not leaving me to the right....and fast! I shifted more weight to the right in order to avoice the debree collected on the left side of the lane and most of all the curb! Eventually, I made it out of the turn, but very wide...and I ended up half way in the lane next to the one I'm supposed to be in. Good thing the road was clear!

Alhumduli Allah!
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 19, 2004, 12:06 PM

I've had a handful of times where a blind turn has decreased and has caught my attention. There have also been times where I won't see gravel until I'm right up on it. Thats been pretty scarry considering some of this gravel turns up to be pretty big rocks. When riding back on 234 on Saturday, I was behind a minivan about 2-3 car lenghs behind and the van all of the sudden swerved to the right and I went swerved into the left lane to miss whatever they were swerving at and it happened to be a big t-shirt laying in the middle of the lane. I chose to go left since there wasn't any traffic around. Too many times to list here where people have decided to turn all of the sudden, not indicating they are going to turn and slow down really fast.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

July 19, 2004, 12:18 PM

While at Tech I was riding home from a class one night, street was cold and so were the tires, while traveling south, a car traveling north wanted to turn left (turing left there leads you on to 460, another highway) as soon as i saw him getting in to the turning lane i said to my self 'you better not try to turn infront of me you mother*&%^$, well he did, pulling a u turn and going in to the right lane of this two lane road , in a desperate appempt to slow i grab a butt load of front brake, and hit the rear too, front tire chattering, rear sliding im slowing as fast as possible, well this jack@$$ decided to do another sweet move and after pulling this u turn he immeadiatly pulls in to the left lane where i am doing my damnedest to stop, he finally sees me in his mirrors now (probably at this point because i was with in two inches of his bumper when he pulled infront of me) If i hadn't been in such a level of disbelieef i would of gone psycho on his car.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#5)
Happiness Consultant

July 19, 2004, 12:22 PM

just like Brooks, Ive had a few decreasing radius turns surprise me. In Aug 2002, one of those put me in the hospital for 6 days and wadded my original bike.

this past weekend after our group split, we quickly found that 606 in Clarke county was not to be traveled on with high speeds. (see 606 in Clarke Cty VA in Road Conditions) . There were at least 4 times where at the end of a sweeper or a series of twists where I ran into a bunch of rocks just strewn across and all over the road. I have my Tokico brakes and just plain luck at picking the right line to thank for not going down that day. katrider was smarter that day, he just slowed down. I shouldve done the same cos a lowside had my name on it a few times, I just cheated it. (knock on wood)

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 19, 2004, 12:33 PM

Hmmm...Close call?? OH I almost got married!! That was close!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to RichieRichR6  
Unread
  (#7)

July 19, 2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichR6
Unread
  (#8)
Happiness Consultant

July 19, 2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:

u 2 huh?

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

July 19, 2004, 01:02 PM

The closest calls I ever had were due, of course, to my own ignorance. By close call I mean narrowly avoiding certain death. Long ago drag racing on V street for the first time. I was running a cbr 1000 against a mustang that was supposed to be very fast. I gave him 2 and the hop. I was warned ahead of time that at the end of the run the road snakes through a small chicane. I was not warned that they have tractor trailor beds sticking out into the road. I passed the mustang and bobbled down just a hair looking to my left for some indication as to the degree of curve and saw something sort of glimmer in front of me. It was that reflective tape they put around the beds. No time for breaks I slammed that fat pig left and cracked it. My right mirror was severed from its post exploding into hundreds of pieces as I arked under the trailor. The CBR 1000 was a very good sport tourer but not the most flickable thing on the road. Im now on a radius that follows no road but avoids spilling my brain matter up the side of that truck when I realize that a new course is now prudent to set. I muscle the beast over as quickly as I can and push through the twist unscathed. That one very nearly vanquished me of all fluids.

G
Unread
  (#10)
Officially Addicted to Posting

July 19, 2004, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I've had a few. First one that comes to mind was riding 211 shortly after getting my VFR. Think it was the second time I rode 211, and wasn't prepared for that decreasing radius right hander. Entered the turn as if it were constant radius, and quickly saw my lane disappearing to the right. Pushed hard on the bars and leaned it over more and made it through in my lane, but barely. Learned a couple of things. When you can't see around the corner, you better ride like there is something in the road. Cause if there is, or the turn gets sharper, you have to have room for error. Also learned to trust my ride. Never leaned my bike that far over before that, but it easily handled it, and only dragged hard parts a little .

Another one was my run in with a deer. Didn't panic, and managed to keep the bike upright even though the deer broadsided me, snapped of the mirror with it's antler and bruised the hell out of my left hand. Learned to be careful riding at dusk, expect the unexpected, and wear good gear (probably would have broken my hand if I didn't have my Speedmaster gloves on.)

Last one was perhaps the dumbest thing anyone could ever do, and that is to get frustrated with traffic, and make a stuid pass. Two BMWs in left lane ahead of me, one pulls into my lane, so I pull in the left lane and try to go around him. As I pass the one on my right, approach the one in front of me in my lane, and prepare to pull into the right lane to go around the other, the other BMW sees me coming and pulls in the right lane with me. Closing speed was way too fast! I whip the bike back to the left to go around him on the left. Well, he saw me pulling into the right lane at the last minute and decides to come back into the left lane right infront of me. I crank it back over to the right, as I am about 5 feet from his bumper, had to pull my left leg up to avoid clipping him, am literally up out of the seat looking down at the trunk of his car thinking, this is going to hurt, or perhaps I won't even feel a thing, ever again. Somehow managed to miss him and keep on. The most incredibly stupid thing any rider could ever do, and I did it! Learned to always anticipate other drivers doing the worst possible thing they could do. Learned never to ride stupid around cars/traffic/anything. Learned again that my bike is capable of amazing things. Learned that my track riding probably contributed to me being able to avoid that car.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#11)

July 19, 2004, 01:28 PM

I was merging from 66 East Bound to 495 South in 1995....I was riding my 1994 HOTTTTT white/purple/yellow (w/ yellow rims nonetheless) FZR600.

Was merging left around 3:30 during the week, did a shoulder check to make sure lane was clear and started merging into the lane. Turned my head back to find a coffee table, upside down with two legs still attached (one on each side) laying in road. I split the legs and hop over the table at around 65mph.

Landed, back end squirmed, bike stayed upright.
I probably would have lived from the crash, but the whole being run over repeatedly thing at that time of day would have been a bummer, and most likely fatal.

To this day, including actual crashes, and hitting a deer on 657 - that is probably my most terrifying moment on two wheels.
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

July 19, 2004, 01:48 PM

I forgot bout that... I clipped a deer also had almost the exact same damage to myself and the bike.

Another time, the one and only time I didnt wear a helmet... well there is a little setup. I was in Ocean City MD. I had run through a very yellow light very quickly up to the boardwalk and got off the bike. A cop pulls up behind me and we take an instant dislike to one another. Being that I was suspended I said I was my buddy who didnt have an M license. The cop was a complete ass and went so far as to cuff me and put me in the car to attempt to arrest me for sed offence. I get... uhh... mouthy. Then his Sgt comes on the radio and tells him that this is not an arrestable offence, which is what I had been saying with a bit sharper tongue. He writes me a ticket and says that if he sees me riding again he is going to tow the bike and arrest me for something if he has to make it up.

The next day I try my first helmetless ride and sure as shit this cop pulls out after me lights and sirens. I am not very good at this whole pulling over thing. Which by the way is a very very bad thing to do and you should all pull over. Mandatory 5 years in VA now for eluding. No ifs ands or buts. Mandatory. So of course I run. Im now traveling down costal hwy at a buck ten. That isnt the most impressive speed unless you realize that there is a stoplight at every single block. From 60th to 190th I got 4 green lights. Im weaving and bobbin along as I am want to do and there are two vans eating up my only viable exit from another car that doesnt know I exist. I am already commited so I blast through between them with barely an inch of space between both sides. The bike warbles a hair as the wind vortecies have their way with me. My bars scrape just a fraction on the left side as Im ever increasing speed to keep stability as high as possible. I burst through this canal of metal like some twisted rebirth of ignorance and there are cars turning left in front of me. I cut through them and enjoy my newfound invisibility. That one was dumb.

G
Unread
  (#13)

July 19, 2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget
I forgot bout that... I clipped a deer also had almost the exact same damage to myself and the bike.

Another time, the one and only time I didnt wear a helmet... well there is a little setup. I was in Ocean City MD. I had run through a very yellow light very quickly up to the boardwalk and got off the bike. A cop pulls up behind me and we take an instant dislike to one another. Being that I was suspended I said I was my buddy who didnt have an M license. The cop was a complete ass and went so far as to cuff me and put me in the car to attempt to arrest me for sed offence. I get... uhh... mouthy. Then his Sgt comes on the radio and tells him that this is not an arrestable offence, which is what I had been saying with a bit sharper tongue. He writes me a ticket and says that if he sees me riding again he is going to tow the bike and arrest me for something if he has to make it up.

The next day I try my first helmetless ride and sure as sh*t this cop pulls out after me lights and sirens. I am not very good at this whole pulling over thing. Which by the way is a very very bad thing to do and you should all pull over. Mandatory 5 years in VA now for eluding. No ifs ands or buts. Mandatory. So of course I run. Im now traveling down costal hwy at a buck ten. That isnt the most impressive speed unless you realize that there is a stoplight at every single block. From 60th to 190th I got 4 green lights. Im weaving and bobbin along as I am want to do and there are two vans eating up my only viable exit from another car that doesnt know I exist. I am already commited so I blast through between them with barely an inch of space between both sides. The bike warbles a hair as the wind vortecies have their way with me. My bars scrape just a fraction on the left side as Im ever increasing speed to keep stability as high as possible. I burst through this canal of metal like some twisted rebirth of ignorance and there are cars turning left in front of me. I cut through them and enjoy my newfound invisibility. That one was dumb.

G

I can't even see shit when I got over 35mph with my visor lifted up, let alone w/o helmet at triple digit speeds.
Unread
  (#14)
Happiness Consultant

July 19, 2004, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The next day I try my first helmetless ride and sure as sh*t this cop pulls out after me lights and sirens. I am not very good at this whole pulling over thing. Which by the way is a very very bad thing to do and you should all pull over. Mandatory 5 years in VA now for eluding. No ifs ands or buts. Mandatory. So of course I run. Im now traveling down costal hwy at a buck ten. That isnt the most impressive speed unless you realize that there is a stoplight at every single block. From 60th to 190th I got 4 green lights. Im weaving and bobbin along as I am want to do and there are two vans eating up my only viable exit from another car that doesnt know I exist. I am already commited so I blast through between them with barely an inch of space between both sides. The bike warbles a hair as the wind vortecies have their way with me. My bars scrape just a fraction on the left side as Im ever increasing speed to keep stability as high as possible. I burst through this canal of metal like some twisted rebirth of ignorance and there are cars turning left in front of me. I cut through them and enjoy my newfound invisibility. That one was dumb.

G
damn G, I a few of my hairs turned white reading this. I aint riding with u man.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#15)
DAS BOOT

July 19, 2004, 03:28 PM

Quote:

G

you've got some big ones my friend...BIGGGG ones

Wow. Just..................wow.