DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 622
2 members and 620 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

February 21, 2004, 08:49 PM

Cold tires - was I surprised. I know cold tires lack traction, but this really surprised me. I had Metzler Pilot race mediums on my 750. I left the parking lot at work and was going completely straight on the highway. As I rolled on the throttle, the bike's rear end swung around violently and put me on the asphalt. I watched the bike slide down the road ..."my baby." The frame sliders caught most of the damage, and I was able to ride away.

It was like I was riding on ice when it broke loose. I wasn't near full throttle. I'm just sharing this little surprise to maybe help somebody else avoid a few aches and some road rash. My jacket is a bit rough now, but my hip got rashed right through my heavy pants. I also wore a hole in one of my gloves. Damnest thing. I'm guessing that steet tires woulda been a little better for this scenario. My ego hurt the most.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

February 21, 2004, 08:58 PM

glad your ok. the roads are still pretty cold out there, along with the sand and salt. we need a good rain or two and some warmer weather. its still Feb though. I took my dads S2000 out last sun night, ive never experienced sliding around like that before on cold roads and cold tires. they should warn you about that stuff. I couldnt of imagined what it would have been like if I was on the bike.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

February 21, 2004, 09:10 PM

I never really knew that just cold tires would cause that much of a traction loss. I have had a little slipage, but only in turns or sand. I have been riding Fri, Sat, and today and it was ok out there. Today however, that wind took the fun right out of the ride.
Unread
  (#4)
Site Admin

February 21, 2004, 09:28 PM

Damn man...glad ur ok, sorry about the bike. Yes cold tires and cold roads suck. My back end came out on me on Fri nite leaving a parking lot. Kepi000 was my witness, luckily I stuck my foot out to the ground to regain balance, or it would have been pavement for me.

I know how that hurt ego goes...people who have gone down, know thats part of riding, but all i can say is, dont give it up, just keep on riding it thru, and you'll be ok.
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

February 21, 2004, 10:44 PM

You mean Michelins? Yeah that's why I don't use them. I espeically wouldn't use Michelin race tires on the street.

I haven't any cold road/tire problems even when it's sub-freezing. It's not cold now. Hell, the last few days I've been nearly scraping my pegs. I routinely blast out of turns first thing in the morning. Not a hint of sliding, even though I'm trying to.

Get some Metzelers, lots of grip.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

February 21, 2004, 11:35 PM

Michelin Pilot race + cold weather = what happend.

Good street based tires don't have the same issues.
Unread
  (#7)
boxing twins

February 22, 2004, 09:27 AM

To paraphrase several sportbike magazines, and Nick from Champion Powersports in particular (just so happens I chatted with Nick on Sat):

Race tires shouldn't be used on the street.

Race tires:
- lack stabilizers that prevent vulcanization from time & heat cycling, so you end up with a very hard tire from the passage of time and at maximum a few dozen heat cycles
- only get grippy when warm, are useless when cold, and take a fair amount of time to warm up

As Norman (flipnr6) said, ride thru the slide if possible. Steer into the slide and maintain or gently reduce your throttle position. Cutting the throttle quickly will highside you. Increasing throttle will lowside you. This all assumes you've got time to react. It's just like riding in the dirt. If you haven't had dirt time, try MSF dirtbike school http://www.dirtbikeschool.com. (Although it doesn't look like any are nearby).

I'm glad your ok, but keep the race tires at the track.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

February 22, 2004, 01:51 PM

Apparently Michelin is coming out with a Pilot Power tire. This has excellent Michelin grip with much quicker warm up.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

February 23, 2004, 04:32 PM

Damn, glad you're ok and that the sliders did their job! I've almost been tempted to take the SV out but have resisted since I still have GP compound tires on it. I'm really glad I didn't. I've heard that they need a lot of time to heat up, but really wouldn't have expected that big of a problem in a straight line. Of course, with only 60+ hp I probably would have been ok! Unless I tried to turn!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
Super Moderator

February 24, 2004, 10:04 AM

Cold is BAD! Race tires dont belong on the street. Plus, why would you want to waste them on the street anyway. Save them for the track.

Who uses what kind of tires on what bike?? I use Sportec M1's..

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

February 24, 2004, 10:15 AM

I agree with Adrian, race tires are fine for the street as long as you take some time to warm them up.

They dont last as long as street tires though.

In my experience, race tires are stickier in all temps compared to Sportec M1's. Those things are slide-r-ific.