DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 615
0 members and 615 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Corner workers getting hit by racebikes
Unread
  (#1)
i suck at the introweb

Corner workers getting hit by racebikes - October 7, 2009, 05:27 PM

holy crap i was bored at work looking for a race that i think happened last year or 2007 during a sbk (i think) race where one of the sponsor signs flew onto the track and one of the riders smashed right through it and the sign blew up into a billion pieces and nobody crashed look scary as hell and cool at the same time. if anyone remembers that race please post up.

well, anyway found this one instead and holly crap:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ts+sign&hl=en#

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

October 7, 2009, 06:24 PM

i just knew when that big crowd was coming for them that it was gonna be a clusterfuck

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

October 7, 2009, 06:28 PM

Is this the LRRS video from a few years back? If so, I'm not watching it.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#4)
Kickstand

October 7, 2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Yep, watched the first few seconds of it.

Mike

MARRC Cornerworker/ASD/Crash Truck/Control
http://www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to TheHiriser  
Unread
  (#5)
Super Moderator

October 7, 2009, 08:37 PM

DAMN!!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#6)
Get Tarded!

October 7, 2009, 08:56 PM

Holy shit I was getting ready for bed, it's hard enough doing funerals for people all day but damn...... I feel sick after that video and there is no way in hell I'm going to sleep for a few hours now. Target fixation is stupid out of all things to do it to another person is....

Well I really wouldn't watch this if your getting ready to call it a night I just found out the hard way be warned.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#7)
whoa preppy......

October 7, 2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:

I said I wasn't watching it again and I forgot to listen to myself.

2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
someone adopt a newb

October 8, 2009, 06:36 AM

Damn. Please tell me somebody walked away from that....?? Even better tell me they all did.

Originally Posted by vonstallin
That shit is like wearing a condom your whole life while living in DC, but going to brazil and going bare back with all the chicks because they look better.

derilict:
So next time you feel the need to prove to the world that you should have been euthanized as a child, do it in someone else's thread.

"No such thing as to pretty to ride. The prettier they are the harder you should ride them. This is also true when it comes to woman." Nubbs

Thank you,

Management

2006 SV650: RIP
1982 Yamaha XJ650: Went old school, but moving on
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#9)
MA! THE MEATLOAF!!!!!!!!!

October 8, 2009, 07:06 AM

That shit was horrible! I kept bracing for the impact when the rider was crawling off the track, thinking he was the one that was gonna get it, but then, DAMN!!! The worker in between the rider and the other worker looks dead! So does the second rider, for that matter.

R.I.P. JEFF VEGA

Slow: Well, that was a bad idea because jamming the turd back in caused the gas behind it to back up and just about the time I went in for what probably would have been the thrust that got the turd out of my way, the gas exploded. It shot my dick and the turd out like a rocket. Now, if getting your dick explosively expelled from your chick's ass and then getting hit in the gut with a flying turd doesn't make your dick soft, you're a better man than I am.
Unread
  (#10)
Street Bonk Bum.....

October 8, 2009, 07:11 AM

i really hope everyone was ok from that......i would rather wreck myself REALLY bad then to hit another rider or cornerworker....call me crazy as i have only cornerworked for 1/2 a day but i would think a bike in the track would cause for a red flag and then when the track was cold for them to retrive the bike...at least any race i have been in where that has happened (bike in track on race line) has been red flagged

CCS AM # 204

Last edited by JWZelibor; October 8, 2009 at 07:15 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
The last urrbendah

October 8, 2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
..i would rather wreck myself REALLY bad then to hit another rider or
There are several riders on this site who have crashed-to-avoid.

Here's some info about the wreck:

Rob Dages was seriously injured on Saturday, July 7, 2001, when he was struck by a rider in Turn 2 at (New Hampshire International Speedway) Loudon, while clearing the track of a previous incident. Rob's actual injuries are: fractured pelvis and tailbone, bruised ribs (one broken), an impressively ugly gash in the left forearm, an equally scary gash in the head, and lots of bumps and bruises. The other track worker Rick Martin suffered only bruises and scrapes. The rider who hit the two, Rick Currier suffered similar non-fatal injuries.

Rob is fine today, no lasting injuries, he races when he has time. Rick Currier (the racer who hit the workers) did suffer some lasting long-lasting effects from his closed head injury. He was not breathing after the crash and was resuscitated on-scene. Rick Martin had a minor leg injury.

In case you're wondering, I was there and watched it happen and helped clean up the mess afterward. Racing was resumed about two hours later.

------------

Cornerworking is extremely dangerous and they are never far from my mind when I'm out there. I'm not sure how I'd deal with things if one (especially MARRC) got hit pulling my dumbass out of the gravel. Survivor's guilt I guess. Being friends with them makes it even harder to watch them run out and pick folks up from harm's way and it was even worse last year when I had a personal interest involved in it.

WERA lost a racer this year when a cornerworker went on track at Barber to retrieve a dead bird. The CW who was struck also died in the incident.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#12)
Resident Gazelle

October 8, 2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Cornerworking is extremely dangerous.....
The amount of risk a Cornerworker is prepared to take in any given situation is a very personal decision. My own personal nightmare is to get another racer injured because I ran out onto the track to try and help a downed rider and then got hit by someone else, causing myself and the rider who hits me to get hurt, or worse. However, I have to balance this with not going out there and then the downed rider getting hit anyway because I didn't go out and try and prevent it.
Every situation is different and you can only hope you make the right decision in the fraction of a second you have to think about it.
Typically, I find MARRC folks are some of THE bravest Cornerworkers you are likely to come across, and rarely put their own well being ahead of helping crashed racers.

MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48

MARRC Safety Crew...it's our job to play in traffic!!

www.marrc.org
http://www.shenandoahpictures.com/

...You say "erb", and I say "Herb", cuz there's a facking "H" in it! Eddie Izzard
Unread
  (#13)
Full spin ahead.

October 8, 2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Rob is fine today, no lasting injuries
After watching the video, that's the best thing I could have read.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#14)
on the attack

October 15, 2009, 05:39 PM

Why the fuck wasn't the race red flagged to begin with?

Aren't corner workers in communication with each other via radios? Why are they running out in the middle of a hot track?

That looked more like a bad judgment, and/or horrible communication between race officials and corner workers.

CCS AM #111

Rosslyn Automotive
8320 Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22031
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to attack  
Unread
  (#15)
Groping is a skill...

October 16, 2009, 10:44 PM

Yeah thats some crazy shit! I didn't see any red flags waving around. You would think they would stop the race right away especially when two CRs are in the middle of the track.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to