DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 557
5 members and 552 guests
BlackHatch, nootherids, Slider, superchickencornermonster, tuanogus
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cornerspeed Report 9/21 *long story*
Unread
  (#1)
singin sweet home alabama

Cornerspeed Report 9/21 *long story* - September 22, 2007, 12:30 PM

First... take a look at the forum I posted this in...

Now, the story...

I had a hell of a time getting ready for this... mostly because I procrastinate too much. Wednesday night I had Mike & Nate over my house getting the R1 saftey wired and what not. When they left, I still had to flush my radiator and put new tires on. Hmm... problem, I don't have the tool to remove the front wheel.

So I made the bike street legal again and decided I'd just hit up fairfax cycles in the morning. I got to sleep late, maybe got 3 hours of sleep. So come Thursday, I have to work - and I'm coming and going from work to drop off the bike, get trailer etc etc. Then to top it all off, I have a night class that I can't miss. I finally get home around 10:30pm.

Remove tag/fender/turnsignals/mirrors etc etc - taped up headlights, brake light... and flushed my radiator and filled with distilled water. It's now near mid-night, and I still have to load the truck.

Basically, we got everything loaded into the truck/trailer by about 1:30am Friday morning... and it takes about 4 1/2 to 5 hours to get to VIR... yeah you can see where this is going.

Aha! Have the wifey drive! Yeah, that lasted about an hour before she started to fall asleep... and couldn't drive anymore. I drive pretty much the whole way. Get to VIR and drive around aimlessly because I missed the sign for the main gate. Finally find the gate and get everything unloaded. 5 minutes till tech.

So, with 3 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours - I'm in class.

While in class, it starts POURING rain... but its just a small cell, so its expected to pass. We skip the first couple sessions and do extra class time. The rain has slowed to a drizzle, the track is really wet in certain places.

We go out and at first I'm really nervous, but the pace is slow and the squiggly greasy feeling through the corners is actually pretty cool. Put too much throttle coming out of a corner and the back end kicks out... woops

2nd session the track is drying out, rain has stopped. Speed is still slow - finding the lines, just about have the track memorized. Uneventful.

3rd session - Track is pretty much dry except way off the line. This is supposed to be the no brake drill, but I kept coming up on traffic taking the turn slower than me so that didn't work out well - Came upon some traffic in the straight and got waved by. From that point on, everything seemed like every man for himself and people were just passing whenever. I got really comfortable and next thing I know I'm just swooping past people on the outside left and right. Felt like I finally knew what was coming before I was there. At the end of the session, I saw the red flag and pulled in... stopped and wait... no control rider. Eventually he pulls up with the other student and said I pulled away on the straight and he got stuck behind traffic, but that I was looking nice and smooth and I was taking the right lines. He said I was leaning over a bit far, and I need to get off the seat more... I was maybe 25% off. This would turn out to be foreshadowing events to come.

4th session - light braking. I'm feeling really comfortable out there now - and I'm following my control rider through the pack. This control rider picked up his speed a great deal a couple laps into and now I'm having trouble staying right behind him as I had before... but its not a lot or anything... he's still just in front of me, I'm just not on him anymore. So he waves me by so he can follow me and for whatever reason I'm feeling pretty aggressive. I think I forgot it was supposed to be a "light braking drill" because I'm basically just riding as fast as I can comfortably. A couple laps of this, and then the control rider gets a better run into the straight and passes me while I'm at 100% throttle. I had a brain malfunction going into turn 1... I didn't start out wide like I should have, I was a bit shallow/tight and carrying too much speed for me. Been in this situation a million times on the street, so I just looked way ahead and leaned further. Tried to tighten it up more than I should have.

The CRASH: At some point, I began hearing my peg grinding and felt my toe slider touch. This didn't panic me because I'd been feeling that several times in turn 1. Guess I should have learned I didn't have any lean angle left. Basically, my knee touched and a split second later my elbow and poof... sudden realization that the bike is no longer participating in this "let's turn" thing. Nice gentle slide to the edge of the track on my back - can't see the bike at all. Hit the edge of the track and it makes me tumble roll a couple times. AMAZING how much momentum I had - even though I wasn't really feeling much - just seemed like "wow, another tumble... I'm not done yet?" Tumble rolled right up to my feet and looked over at the bike. Not worth picking up... just jogged to the tires and hung out for the crash truck.

Damage report:

Didn't even scratch my helmet.

A* MX1 suit held up GREAT - not even much rash. Worn plastic on the shoulders... nothing significant. I didn't feel a thing.

Bike damage would have been null - except when the bike hit the edge of the track the tires dug in and cause a single flip. The highside (left hand side) got crunched.

Broken left clip on, broke fairing stay - the whole upper fairing is dangling by cables. Headlights intact!

Rear subframe might be tweaked - exhaust isn't quite aligned right.

Possibly bent fork.

Pegs are trashed, and clutch lever bent in.

All plastics are toast - good thing I swapped my good ones with some used rashed up ones However, my seat cowl was destroyed too.

Wifey caught the crash on cam, but it was distant and will be too grainy to host of youtube/google.

So, I failed my only goal - "don't crash"... mostly because I got too "saucy" as the instructor put it.

That's about it. Time to rebuild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007-09-21 (Sept) 005 (Medium).jpg (49.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2007-09-21 (Sept) 006 (Medium).jpg (63.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2007-09-21 (Sept) 003 (Medium).jpg (85.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2007-09-21 (Sept) 004 (Medium).jpg (90.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 2007-09-21 (Sept) 002 (Medium).jpg (93.4 KB, 44 views)

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; September 22, 2007 at 02:48 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#2)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

September 22, 2007, 12:52 PM

Damn dude.. that sucks about your bike. Glad you're ok! Freakin' me out a little.. doing my first track day Oct 8...

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
NOM NOM NOM

September 22, 2007, 01:12 PM

Nice report! I can see frame slider help a lot but hope the bike is fixable and get back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatspin
Damn dude.. that sucks about your bike. Glad you're ok! Freakin' me out a little.. doing my first track day Oct 8...
Wes, u doing trackday? For real this time?
Unread
  (#4)

September 22, 2007, 01:14 PM

!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp crash.bmp (314.0 KB, 49 views)

"Spin"

Unread
  (#5)

September 22, 2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON
Nice report! I can see frame slider help a lot but hope the bike is fixable and get back on the road.

Wes, u doing trackday? For real this time?
What do you mean for real this time?! Did I bail on one before? I can't recall.. but yep, I'm in. You thinking about doing it Simon?

"Spin"

Unread
  (#6)
Emm Teh

September 22, 2007, 01:17 PM

Nice writeup. Dragging hardparts is a sure sign of an imminent crash... glad to hear that you're OK. If your forks aren't bent much you can have them straightened by one of the suspension shops for like $50-60.

How's your upper tripple tree look? With the clip-ons screwed into it I would be concerned about it being bent. You can find them for like $25 though the hardest part is getting the ignition out. (I made the mistake of starting with a larger than needed drill bit. - Start small! )

-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Unread
  (#7)
#swag

September 22, 2007, 01:18 PM

Hey man, sorry to hear about your wreck.. Hit up will - yzfrone, he might have some of the parts you need..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#8)
NOM NOM NOM

September 22, 2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
What do you mean for real this time?! Did I bail on one before? I can't recall.. but yep, I'm in. You thinking about doing it Simon?
not this year...maybe next year
Unread
  (#9)

September 22, 2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
!!
That's about right.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#10)
tang ama ka !!!!!!!

September 22, 2007, 01:51 PM

that sucks, glad you're ok tho.

now fix the bike and get ready for barber .....

let me know if you need anything....

Anthony
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to totnac  
Unread
  (#11)

September 22, 2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totnac
that sucks, glad you're ok tho.

now fix the bike and get ready for barber .....

let me know if you need anything....
I'm tearing everything down tonight to get a parts list of what I need to replace. Barber hinges on whether or not I can get everything replaced quickly enough.

Unread
  (#12)
#swag

September 22, 2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
I'm tearing everything down tonight to get a parts list of what I need to replace. Barber hinges on whether or not I can get everything replaced quickly enough.
Seriously, Will has at everything you need..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#13)
It was me.

September 22, 2007, 07:10 PM

Sorry to hear about the wreck. Glad you are ok.

Mohawk Ryderz Road Captain
www.MohawkRyderz.com

"We drop sukaz!"

-
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwgOmlI0ht.../s400/byah.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Widow Maker  
Unread
  (#14)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

September 22, 2007, 08:47 PM

DAWM glad to hear your ok!!! Looks like itsa track bike now! If you needs help puttin her back let me know! BTW I can see your truck tag on the last pic!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#15)
Eddie would go ...

September 22, 2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
I didn't start out wide like I should have, I was a bit shallow/tight and carrying too much speed for me. Been in this situation a million times on the street,

sorry to hear it...glad you are ok.

Sobering thought you posted there isn't it........

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.