DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
2 members and 539 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
The Crash Map
Unread
  (#1)
singin sweet home alabama

The Crash Map - July 7, 2008, 06:24 PM

So I had this cool idea awhile back and never got around to doing it, but now here it is:

The Official DCSportbikes.net Crash Map.

Basically, its a google map that I've created and opened up for collaboration. You go in, edit the map and put a pushpin down for a location that you've crashed at.

I define a crash as any event while riding that resulted in a collision (i.e. deer), off road excursions ending in damage/injury or tip over, and full blown "I totally lost control" wrecks.

Be sure to put your forum name and the date your crashed in the title, and add a brief description of how you crashed in the description box. By all means, if you've got pics from the crash site, attach them... it'd be pretty cool to see. Also, if you crashed somewhere that other people have also crashed, just put your placemark close by not directly on top of any other.

Happy Crashing!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.033002&z=15

POSTING INSTRUCTIONS

You DO need a gmail account, its open to the public for editing. However, please note that only a few users may edit the map at once.

1 - there is a little sidebar on the left, expand it. (if you don't see the sidebar, then look for the TINY little arrow on the left side of the map, in the whitespace, and click it to expand)

2 - click "edit"

3 - select the placemark "pushpin" button from the upper left corner of the map.

4 - select the spot on the map you want to put the placemark.

5 - enter title (name, date) and description. Using the rich text option, you can also add pics similar to adding pics to .net. (click little picture icon, box opens for pic URL)

6 - click done for your entry.

7 - click save map and then done on the left sidebar.

Apparently you can only edit the map if you have a GMAIL account. Son of a... however... gmail is great so you should have one already, if not, get with the facking program.

Please only enter your own crashes. While memorial markers are well intentioned, I would like to keep this as light hearted as possible. A map full of memorial markers might be a little over the top morbid I think. So please, only enter your own crashes.

Thanks!

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; July 8, 2008 at 11:50 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#2)
I hate Hybrid drivers

July 7, 2008, 06:30 PM

ha ha that's funny. let me go crash so i can be on the map!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 7, 2008, 06:47 PM

Dat's a little twisted.
Unread
  (#4)
Where is the gas pedal?

July 7, 2008, 06:51 PM

Added two

Logic is a crutch for people who lack creativity -- me

'06 BMW K1200R [sold]
'00 SUZ SV650 [sold]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to e90jimmy  
Unread
  (#5)

July 7, 2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown
Dat's a little twisted.
Ain't it?

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#6)
Posting Nothing Relevant

July 7, 2008, 06:59 PM

let me find out from Dodge where exactly i went down, it was out near warrenton some where.

i kind of like this idea.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#7)

July 7, 2008, 07:05 PM

dates! make sure you put dates! Some place you crashed at in 1990 before they widened XYZ road is less useful than someplace you crashed yesterday.

I'm wondering if I should start a pool on the "most crashed road in NOVA"

Unread
  (#8)
Honkey Kong

July 7, 2008, 07:06 PM

My thinking is this probably has potential as a way of identifying bad pieces of road. I wonder if there's any way to get VADOT data with lat/long info and push that into gmaps?

--
"Relatively speaking, there are right views and wrong views. When we look deeply we see that all views are wrong."--Thich Naht Hanh

gewalker@gmail.com | Twitter: @gewalker

2007 SV650N
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to M0nk3y  
Unread
  (#9)

July 7, 2008, 07:07 PM

holy crap, Summit Point Main is actually on the map. That place is gonna be littered.

Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

July 7, 2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
holy crap, Summit Point Main is actually on the map. That place is gonna be littered.
I have NEVER crashed at Summit Point. Ever... And I mean, EVER!!!

BORK BORK!!

Celebrate freedom, honesty and excellence!
Unread
  (#11)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

July 7, 2008, 07:12 PM

No bike crashes in DC....evah! Holy Moly!

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#12)

July 7, 2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y
My thinking is this probably has potential as a way of identifying bad pieces of road. I wonder if there's any way to get VADOT data with lat/long info and push that into gmaps?
I'm just a visual person and map geek. When I first arrived in NoVA and was home shopping, I collected home sales data from the post and created a little app w/ ArcGIS to see areas color coded by median home sale price, sales volume etc. Part using skills learned in a past job, part utility, and part geeky boredom.

Then I met you people and haven't done anything productive since.

Unread
  (#13)
BOOOORING

July 7, 2008, 07:15 PM

I put summit on the map, I will update it with dates... sheesh

Cornerspeed Riders School & Cornerspin School-"Roadracing in the Dirt"
Unread
  (#14)
Spike

July 7, 2008, 07:15 PM

I can't put my spot in it. I don't see EDIT anywhere.

I fail

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#15)
Typical Stripper

July 7, 2008, 07:26 PM

How do I add?

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to