DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 198
1 members and 197 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
CRASH SCENE MANAGEMENT CHECKLIST
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

CRASH SCENE MANAGEMENT CHECKLIST - August 5, 2008, 07:45 AM

After being first on the scene of a crash this past weekend, I have been thinking a lot about how unprepared I really was for such a scenario. I think it's wise to develop a plan before heading out, maybe even print a checklist and keep it with you under your seat or something.

Let's collect some experiences and recommendations in this thread, and I'll consolidate the good stuff here in this top post. Please, no threadjacking. Let's stick to task on this one.

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. All are invited to contribute.

Arriving on the scene:
1.) Stay calm.
2.) Find a safe place to pull off the roadway and stop.
3.) Make sure you have solid footing on either side of your bike and that your kickstand will have a place to rest.
4.) Leave your bike in 1st gear. Kill the ignition.
5.) Let clutch out and let the weight come to rest on the transmission before leaning onto kickstand.
6.) Make sure bike is stable before letting go.
7.) Make your way quickly and safely to the down rider, making sure to not run out into any passing traffic.
8.) Determine as quickly as possible whether someone should call 911 and do it if necessary.

First Aid, Tending to the injured:
1.) Do not move them or keep movements to a minimum. Only make absolutely essential adjustments to their body position. Do not start taking their gear off.
2.) Determine whether rider is conscious or not. Talk to the rider but go easy. He/she may not be coherent.
3.) If rider is unconscious, check for pulse and breathing. (Probably need some info here in the case where rider is not breathing/does not have a pulse.)
3.) The first thing to address now is any bleeding. Check for bleeding. Apply direct pressure to wounds. (Maybe need proper torni info here.)
4.) If a car or truck is involved, do not let anyone move it until it is absolutely safe to do so. Then only if necessary for the rider.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; August 5, 2008 at 11:06 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Brainwash Your Face!

August 5, 2008, 07:47 AM

Great thread...sticky and will delete any BS post.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#3)
Typical Stripper

August 5, 2008, 07:51 AM

This can be a VERY touchy subject from a legal standpoint. If most cases, you are best to call emergency personnel to address the situation. My .02

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
I'm baaaaaack

August 5, 2008, 07:58 AM

I would say be aware of the name of the roads you are on so if needed someone can give an accurate location to emergency personel. Also depending on where the rider and his bike end up removing them from path of traffic. No need for another accident or a down bike being hit then crashing into someone trying to help.
Unread
  (#5)
singin sweet home alabama

August 5, 2008, 08:08 AM

I was once first on scene to a mc crash - and dude got up swinging!

Big hit to the head and the guy went ballistic when he came to. I imagine it must have been a crazy scene to passing cars: bike parts strewn across road, big rashed up & bloody biker (he had no jacket - this was Mississippi, not uncommon) w/ helmet on chasing little biker in full gear all over the place.

Eventually he sort of tired out, but was beligerent when the ambulance arrived. Severe concussion obviously.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#6)
www.udothedishes.com

August 5, 2008, 08:09 AM

I agree with shooter...After parking your own bike or car safely, The very first thing you should do is call 911.

Next - ?
05 Yamaha R6 - Street (SOLD)
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 5, 2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
This can be a VERY touchy subject from a legal standpoint. If most cases, you are best to call emergency personnel to address the situation. My .02
True. But almost all states have laws to protect anyone assisting an accident victim from possible litigation.

If multiple vehicles are involved or any type of serious injury is known or suspected then a call to 911 very high on the list.

Compression of areas bleeding heavily is always preferable to a tournaqet (sp). Stopping the blood flow to an extremity can cause loss of a limb rather quickly.

Addressing shock is very improtant as well. I'm not experianced enough to make recomendations. Check back with me after I've taken some EMT classes this fall at the local Community college.
Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 5, 2008, 08:36 AM

Also a very good reason to carry gps!!! Sometimes you may not know excatly were you are but giving the gps coordinate's to the 911 person can really help. Also sometimes you will need to use your bike as a blocker if anyone is laying down on the road. This is were you would turn your bike so your headlight on high beam can warn oncoming traffic that something is up and they need to slow down.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
Nothing here

August 5, 2008, 08:40 AM

I think it would be a good idea to do a dot net first aid course. It would also be a good first question on group rides; "How many know first aid?"
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

August 5, 2008, 08:43 AM

They are called good samaritan laws. They protect an individual responding to the scene of an accident from reprisals by the victim.

All legal aside, the individual who's crashed may be in a lot of pain, and may be very scared. The two best things you can do for them is call 911 and keep them calm and still, with their helmet on (which they will hate because it's hot and stifling).

As great as lists are, you're not going to remember shit, so really it's best to remember order of importance:
1 - Do not move the individual unless they are in serious danger in their current position
2 - Any serious bloodflow MUST be stopped: Apply pressure, use a tourniquet as a last resort
3 - The Head/Neck/Back must be held still: Maintain body position to keep any neck or back injury to a minimum. DO NOT remove helmet. They may not feel it yet.

If they do move don't restrain them, you can do more damage holding a flailing man down than letting him up.

If they are positioned in a dangerous area (a 1) then 2, and 3 don't matter. If they are bleeding, say from their back or stomach, then you should think about violating number three, because paralyzed is better than dead... etc.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; August 5, 2008 at 08:46 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

August 5, 2008, 09:03 AM

These guys were at the BWM MOA rally last year. They offer classes in crash scene management.

http://www.accidentscene.net/
Unread
  (#12)
TPG

August 5, 2008, 09:37 AM

Sending someone to block traffic in both directions is key, since 99% of bike accidents occur in turns, a car flying down the road might not see theres a problem until too late, don't need to turn 1 bad situation into 2
Unread
  (#13)
Olde Pfart (tm)

August 5, 2008, 09:45 AM

Most newer cell phones have a built-in locator when you go into "E-911" mode... so by dialing 911, it triggers a triangulation system and puts your location on a radar.

Knowing where you are (street, town, etc) only helps.

"They who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- B. Franklin

Every politician should serve two terms... one in office followed immediately by an equal or longer-length one in jail... except in New Jersey where jail time is a pre-requisite to holding office.

Donkeys and Elephants belong in a zoo, not Congress.

#include <wit.h>
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Darth Piper  
Unread
  (#14)
Derpentine Dealer

August 5, 2008, 10:57 AM

Looking good guys. I'll edit this evening and include your tips.

Boom, thanks for the sticky!

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#15)
TPG - screw face

August 5, 2008, 11:10 AM

some good old fashion military "green monster" notes here:

if any, assess the wounds - key word - CALIP

Crush
Abrasion
Laceration
Incision
Puncture

4 live saving steps (who remembers yelling this out 100+ times in the squad bay)

Restore the breathing
Stop the bleeding
Dress the wound
Control for shock

also...CPR should only be performed by certified individuals...

and also remember...when u park your bike...park fairly far from the scene.