DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
2 members and 551 guests
Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
B
It goes to 11.

August 5, 2008, 11:15 AM

CPR, properly done, will break between 2 and 6 ribs generally... they sound like popcorn... and really requires a good amount of force properly positioned. It's one of the nastiest things I've ever had to do.

That said, the shit you see on TV isn't really how it's done, and you can cause a lot of unjury or even death improperly compressing the chest cavity. Only someone trained should attempt CPR.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#17)
idiot

August 5, 2008, 09:49 PM

When it comes to giving medical aid to someone, IMO, the best thing to do is take a CPR course and get certified. Other than that, there isn't much you can do at an accident other than keep the person from moving, keeping them concious (if concious), and holding c-spine until an ambulance arrives (keeping them from moving their neck by holding their head).

These days, with the new CPR protocols, it ain't that hard. In fact, I don't even think you need to give a breath or check for a pulse until something like 100 compressions. Just what I remember from my EMT days so I may be wrong.

Greg
09 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Honda VFR800
(sold)
07 Kawi ZX-6R (sold)
08 Honda CBR600RR (wrecked)
05 Kawi 636 (sold)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#18)
Magic Carpet Ride

August 5, 2008, 10:09 PM

Get the downed rider's bike off the road and onto a shoulder before the police arrive (if possible, stand the bike upright). I've been told this could mean the difference between the rider getting a reckless or not.
Unread
  (#19)
GP Champ

August 5, 2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
Get the downed rider's bike off the road and onto a shoulder before the police arrive (if possible, stand the bike upright). I've been told this could mean the difference between the rider getting a reckless or not.
Come on now, I think saving the riders life might be just a bit more important in the grand scheme of things. You move the rider and they have a broken neck it won't much matter what the cops think.
Unread
  (#20)
idiot

August 5, 2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
No matter what the accident...?

Greg
09 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Honda VFR800
(sold)
07 Kawi ZX-6R (sold)
08 Honda CBR600RR (wrecked)
05 Kawi 636 (sold)
Unread
  (#21)
Derpentine Dealer

August 6, 2008, 06:58 AM

Tom's referring to the scenario where the rider is not too bad off. We've both been in that situation ourselves and know about this simpler case.

If the rider can get up and walk around and there is noone else involved wanting a police report, then it is wise to get the bike up and away from the crash site. If police investigate, they have to issue some sort of citation. The PA SP officer went really easy on our man last weekend and give him a small, zero-point ticket.

It will be difficult for this thread to cover the gamut of crash scenarios.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#22)
GP Racer

August 6, 2008, 09:06 AM

Great thread!

Sorry I don't have any good ideas to add to what has been said, but I think you guys did a great job last weekend. Well, from what I can remember...
Unread
  (#23)
Magic Carpet Ride

August 6, 2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown
Come on now, I think saving the riders life might be just a bit more important in the grand scheme of things. You move the rider and they have a broken neck it won't much matter what the cops think.
I suggested moving the bike, not the rider. Obviously, the safety of the rider comes first.

I've been told that if police come upon a motorcycle accident scene and the bike is wrecked and laying down, they can automatically give the rider a wreckless. When I went down last year, my friends had the wherewithal to drag my wrecked bike off the road and prop it up against a post so that the accident and condition of the bike didn't look as bad as they really were.
Unread
  (#24)
GP Champ

August 6, 2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I suggested moving the bike, not the rider. Obviously, the safety of the rider comes first.
I mis-read that. Sorry.

Maybe this need to write a citation is something new. In the past I have known of plenty of bad accidents were no citation was issued and "road conditions" were listed as the cause.
Unread
  (#25)
It was me.

August 6, 2008, 01:49 PM

Take pictures if not at fault.

Mohawk Ryderz Road Captain
www.MohawkRyderz.com

"We drop sukaz!"

-
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwgOmlI0ht.../s400/byah.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Widow Maker  
Unread
  (#26)
Never lose your head!!

August 6, 2008, 01:54 PM

While all the above advises are good and well intended...there are only a handful on here that will be able to remain composed and assist. With that said, the best thing to do is protect yourself and the fallen rider from further harm. my $.02.

KK
Unread
  (#27)
B
It goes to 11.

August 6, 2008, 02:25 PM

Just tell the cops a deer jumped out.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#28)
Derpentine Dealer

August 6, 2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Square
While all the above advises are good and well intended...there are only a handful on here that will be able to remain composed and assist. With that said, the best thing to do is protect yourself and the fallen rider from further harm. my $.02.

We need to improve upon that handful, which I think is an underestimate though. Windblown, Jaxxx, and I kept ourselves together pretty well this past weekend on the scene. I found myself, however, having to think hard about what to do and how to go about doing it. If it's thought out beforehand, it'll be a lot easier next time.

I would even go so far as to recommend group ride leaders consider a few words on the matter in the preride briefing. Sort of a, "Now, if someone goes down, here's basically what we do. ...."

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#29)
Olde Pfart (tm)

August 6, 2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
Just tell the cops a deer jumped out.
Umm... a fox running across the road caused a friend of mine to flip his Harley full-dress... he ended up hitting the curb, got thrown, and the bike flipped back over front a time or two. I saw his scar from where he had to have shoulder surgery, too.

Nature can be quite the humbling force...

"They who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- B. Franklin

Every politician should serve two terms... one in office followed immediately by an equal or longer-length one in jail... except in New Jersey where jail time is a pre-requisite to holding office.

Donkeys and Elephants belong in a zoo, not Congress.

#include <wit.h>
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Darth Piper  
Unread
  (#30)
B
It goes to 11.

August 6, 2008, 05:42 PM

Running over the animal is usually better than changing your line, and sending yourself into the trees. Don't hit your brakes.

That was more advice to avoid the ticket.

SV650s for SALE!!!