DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 135
3 members and 132 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#31)
GP Champ

August 6, 2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
Just tell the cops a deer jumped out.
I know a couple of times the local cops declined that as an excuse unless evidense of a deer strike could be found (hair, trakcs, blood, something)

I think once hunting season rolls around I'm gonna take some deer hair and throw it into a ziplock baggie in case of emergency.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#32)
B
It goes to 11.

August 6, 2008, 08:30 PM

Burden of proof. The cops need to prove you were reckless, or lied about the deer.

Anyway, that'll beat a reckless in court as long as no other testimony is apparent. The cop NOT finding evidence of deer isn't sufficient to mount a case on a reckless charge.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#33)
Never lose your head!!

August 6, 2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
We need to improve upon that handful, which I think is an underestimate though. Windblown, Jaxxx, and I kept ourselves together pretty well this past weekend on the scene. I found myself, however, having to think hard about what to do and how to go about doing it. If it's thought out beforehand, it'll be a lot easier next time.

I would even go so far as to recommend group ride leaders consider a few words on the matter in the preride briefing. Sort of a, "Now, if someone goes down, here's basically what we do. ...."
First and foremost, I just want to say what you're doing or attempt to do, is very admirable. With that said, there are a few firefighters, medics and other first responders on the site that would probably lend a hand with a class. Maybe have a class beginning of riding season and another toward the end of the summer. Let me know if I can help. But let's not forget what happens afterward is also extremely crucial...meaning the ones that witnessed the accident or fatality, that they need people to talk to. What I recommend is gather a handful of people who are experience with this sort of thing that can lend an ear. Good luck with everything!

KK
Unread
  (#34)
GP Champ

August 6, 2008, 08:55 PM

Parking your bike just so, is a grand idea, but it also falls by the way side as you are in the heat of the moment, and perhaps trying to rush to the victim to administer care.

I was coming into a corner once right after a guy went wide, flew off his RC, went over a fence and into a cow field. I watched the guy between us pull to the side, throw down his bike, and rush to the victims side.

I also saw a guy t-bone somebody who ran a red, do a perfect forward flip, and land on his back. People rushed out of their cars and ripped his helmet off before I could do anything.

As already mentioned, DON'T remove the hlemet unless the victim is not breathing!

also DON'T everybody in the group stand around in the circle and stare at the victim - guess what, this DOES NOT help matters!

Remain calm. I've been busted up a bunch of times, but one of my worst memories is of a girl freaking out and telling me how bad my ankle looks. NO SHIT, I can see it myself! A regular Florence Nightingale over here I'm telling you
Unread
  (#35)
GDMFSOB

August 7, 2008, 07:55 PM

Thia is a great thread! Nevermind MC's, but every day life. I am a cert'd emergency first responder, rescue/ recovery diver and CPR cert'd. I am very big on safety. I would encourage all to do the basic 1st aid course. Other than that, best course of action is to know who you are riding with. Have a plan. In several situations, being trained, I have not had to think; only act. But, sometimes there has been confusion. That is where training comes in. I will not bore you with details, but if anyone is interested and we can get a group together, EFR cert is a evening course and i can certaintly set something up. Hopefully we will never need it!

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#36)
idiot

August 8, 2008, 01:34 AM

This may be a stupid idea. But if it's a relatively small group ride, it might be a good idea to give the ride leader emergency contact info along with your full name on a small sheet of paper or something.

Greg
09 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Honda VFR800
(sold)
07 Kawi ZX-6R (sold)
08 Honda CBR600RR (wrecked)
05 Kawi 636 (sold)
Unread
  (#37)
Derpentine Dealer

September 2, 2008, 08:37 AM

I'll be going through this in the next couple of days and adding all the good tips you folks have posted into the top thread.

Thanks for all the contributions!

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#38)
Crackdays for everyone!

September 2, 2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway
some good old fashion military "green monster" notes here:

if any, assess the wounds - key word - CALIP

Crush
Abrasion
Laceration
Incision
Puncture

4 live saving steps (who remembers yelling this out 100+ times in the squad bay)

Restore the breathing
Stop the bleeding
Dress the wound
Control for shock

also...CPR should only be performed by certified individuals...

and also remember...when u park your bike...park fairly far from the scene.
Sounds like combat life savers course right there! Or just some basic first responder stuff (same basic stuff). The last part is perfect and needs to be added to the list. The first thing to do when evaluating a casualty is check breathing. It's the most critical. Once breathing is restored or is confirmed you move onto bleeding and then broken bones and address those as needed. And very import step is to person from going into shock.

In Virginia, there are laws that cover anyone that response to a accident scene. Whether you are a trained professional or not you covered by the good Samaritan laws.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ZX-Matt  
Unread
  (#39)
Licensed Rider

April 21, 2010, 06:33 PM

Not so much crash scene management, but there is a site where you can print out emergency contact info cards. I have one in each of my riding jackets, pants, under my seat and etc. Reason being a young man who crashed on the Cherohala Skyway, ended up dieing and no one knew much more than his name.
http://www.medids.com/free-medID-card.html

Since you are so meticulous about the crash scene arrival, I think an important step is to remove your helmet after getting your stand down. You're going to be more situational aware without the helmet on and ready to assess the injured. Leaving your helmet with the bike will also be better than dropping it where ever.
Unread
  (#40)
Licensed Rider

April 21, 2010, 07:54 PM

FYI - Tourniquets do not cause loss of limb for up to 4 hours. A person can bleed out in as little as 15 min. If you can't stop the bleeding in a short period of time. Apply a tourniquet.
Unread
  (#41)
Derpentine Dealer

April 22, 2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks for posting and bumping this up. I need to work on the list.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#42)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

October 11, 2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Tom's referring to the scenario where the rider is not too bad off. We've both been in that situation ourselves and know about this simpler case.

If the rider can get up and walk around and there is noone else involved wanting a police report, then it is wise to get the bike up and away from the crash site. If police investigate, they have to issue some sort of citation. The PA SP officer went really easy on our man last weekend and give him a small, zero-point ticket.

It will be difficult for this thread to cover the gamut of crash scenarios.
In addition to this, and I learned this about a year ago when my GF rear-ended my cage, there isn't a need to call the police for a single vehicle accident. If you want your insurance to cover the damage then you can file a report at the station up to 12 hours after the incident. They will not issue a citation and insurance will still cover the damages.