DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
4 members and 555 guests
Bunky, CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Crashed @ Summit 5/12/2012 - T5/T6
Unread
  (#1)
Elite Racing

Thumbs down Crashed @ Summit 5/12/2012 - T5/T6 - May 14, 2012, 09:32 AM

I binned the R6 Saturday morning during my second session of the day. Just as I exited T5 and was standing it up getting ready to position myself for T6 the throttle opened up on me. I made sure it wasn't me and tried to close the throttle but I had zero twist to my wrist. I was gaining momentum very quickly and had to make a split second decision between hitting the tire wall, attempt making T6 or grab the clutch and brakes and dump it.

I chose the latter.....I grabbed the clutch and a handful of front brake and down I went. BODY SLAM!! I landed on my right side on the track. My head took a major hit along with my right shoulder and hip. I remember tumbling a few times and coming to a stop in the grass & dirt. Having had the shit knocked out of me, I rolled around a bit trying to catch my breath then took off my gloves and helmet 'cause I started feeling claustrophobic. Bikes were still on track and I was laying against the tire wall. I was too sore and dizzy to try and get up so I just laid there hoping the ambo would come around T5.

I have zero broken bones, thank goodness. My Arai did it's job and protected my head. My Teknic's did their job and I only suffered one minor strawberry, and that's on my right hip.

And what I can only assume happened, my left thigh came into contact with the gas tank and dented the shit out of it, almost crushing it.

Leathers and helmet need to be replaced.

The bike went ass first into the tire wall about 8 feet upstream from me. The subframe is toast, the rear plastics are obviously toast, too. The right rearset, frame slider and bar end took the brunt of the initial impact with the track surface. The upper plastics also have some damage, but I'm not sure to what extent. I'm also not sure what kind of front end damage there is, but my steering damper seems to be tweaked a bit. I'll most likely strip the bike this week of the subframe and plastics and get it over to VonDari and have him do a once over on it.

Error code showing on the display, "60". This error, if my research is good, is related to the Throttle servo motor, which if it went bad, could explain why the throttle opened up on me, correct?

And now, pics of the damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0194.jpg (560.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0195.jpg (537.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0197.jpg (501.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0196.jpg (531.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0199.jpg (554.4 KB, 125 views)

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed

Last edited by Castle; May 29, 2012 at 02:11 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

May 14, 2012, 09:40 AM

Hope ya get better soon. New helmet yes. Get the leathers fixed. Cheaper and just as effective.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
#swag

May 14, 2012, 09:41 AM

Sorry to hear, and glad you're okay! I've heard of a couple very similar stories. I believe it happened to Carnage and turned out to be a screw on/near the throttle bodies that backed out?

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#4)
Site Owner

May 14, 2012, 09:42 AM

That sucks. One of those things that happens in an instant and you have to make a split second choice.. sucks you weren't able to hit the kill switch and maybe somehow miraculously save it.

Glad you're okay though.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#5)
The last urrbendah

May 14, 2012, 10:03 AM

Glad you're ok. Sorry if I pissed you off. I hit because I love

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#6)
Groping is a skill...

May 14, 2012, 10:15 AM

Like everyone said glad you're ok. Glad you didn't break anything especially your collar bone since that goes first usually the way you said you slammed your body. Your leg must have taken the majority of the initial hit. In any case the bike should hopefully be relatively easy to fix. It cost me about $1500 to put the gixxer back together and that was including the rear subframe, plastics, levers, both wheels, rearsets etc... Its an unfortunate expense but not bad considering you walked away healthy I would cuddle you if I were thurr...

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

May 14, 2012, 10:47 AM

Sucks... Glad to hear no body parts are broken.

On the good side. Lots of worse places I can think of to have a runaway throttle.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#8)
Stand Collector

May 14, 2012, 11:18 AM

Sorry to hear that man, glad your okay. My buddy lowsided a demo yamaha R6 yesterday at T6, I was two bikes back and watched it all happen

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#9)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

May 14, 2012, 11:26 AM

Glad to hear you made it out of that crash with only some bruises and scrapes. Looks like a new helmet and new leathers are on the list to be replaced.

You should be ablet to find a lot of those parts within a week for your bike. Hope you get her up and running by the first CCS race weekend at Summit.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 14, 2012, 11:31 AM

Good to see you up there for a minute Sat morning; sucks you went down but sounds like it could've been worse.

05 CBR600RR
Unread
  (#11)
Owner & Creator

May 14, 2012, 11:41 AM

$10 airfilter screw stuck in throttle body valve. All of my air filter screws were accounted for.

It happened to Matt98 also but he was missing a a screw.

What I do now with the R6s I safety wire above the screw just incase it decides to back itself out.
Unread
  (#12)
Owner & Creator

May 14, 2012, 11:43 AM

Unread
  (#13)
Groping is a skill...

May 14, 2012, 11:49 AM

^Can't see video

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
ELBOWZ

May 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

Wow, that sucks. Leaves a bit to think about since I ride an R6 as well. I'm glad you came out in one piece. Like Windblown said though, at least it was there and not going into turn 1 or somewhere else on the track.

CCS #720 Expert
Michelin Tires www.sportbiketireservice.com
EvolveGT www.evolvegt.com
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
MOTO-D Racing Tire Warmers www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
AMSOIL www.dc-moto.net
Trackside Parts Club www.tracksidepartsclub.com
James
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

May 14, 2012, 11:53 AM

a crash that you can walk away from was a good one. you just gained some invaluable experience.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud