DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
2 members and 561 guests
2blueyam, GETFURIOUS
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Crashed for the 1st time, it hurts
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

Crashed for the 1st time, it hurts - July 19, 2007, 09:06 PM

(I know there is a crash sub-forum, but it seems pretty dead so I put it here)

IDK what I did, just lost concentration or something. Was coming of 495, on an off ramp and just took it way too wide. Like my mind must of been elsewhere b/c I wasnít turning or something, all I know I was like #!@# guardrail, went into the grass starting putting my foot down to hopefully keep it up and BAM, I open my eyes bike is behind me. I must of had like a mini high side

Luckily I didnít hit the guardrail, there was no other traffic coming and the bike and I landed in the grass by the rail out the way of traffic. Picked the bike up. Front crowling is smashed, exhaust pretty banged up. Somehow managed to scratch every fairing and broke one right off (see pic). Bike is rideable but the steering I think is F up cause when straight up the wheel is cocked slightly to the right. As far as me, I got a lil rash by my wrist and I believe my thumb is broke. Went to the campus health center and they said I cracked it and strained some tendon. Gotta go to another doctor tomorrow.

Im pretty pissed, I know everyone has their 1st crashed but idk where I went wrong. The turn wasnít that tight I just...idk...my mind wasnít right. Hopefully you guys got some words of encouragement (been riding like 2 months, 1k miles). Hopefully my thumb and bike will be healed w/in a month.

O one last thing, Thank God I had all my gear on, boots, motorcycle jeans, helmet and jacket, everything worked real good. You guys think my helmet is still good? I know one hit and your suppose to toss them but it looks like its only a lil scrape.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I got my M Class WOOT!

July 19, 2007, 09:16 PM

good thing you're ok dude. i can give you the same words of encouragement that were given to me "Learn from it, stay focused, and get the fcuk back on your bike". every1 goes down eventually, and just like you said it happens quick which is why you always have to be paying attention to what you're doing while you're riding.

~Eric

"Crazy? I was Crazy once, put me in a while room with padded walls..."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

July 19, 2007, 09:17 PM

OOh man Sorry to hear about your first accident. It happens.. Just keep your head up and take care of yourself. You'll be back on 2 in no time. Just take the time to get all healed up first.

Glad to hear that you were wearing all of your gear.. Don't you appreciate it so much more now? Because it could have been a lot worse if you weren't wearing it.

I would suggest you trash the helmet and get a new one. Your brain is not something you really want to take a chance with.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TBaby Send a message via AIM to TBaby Send a message via MSN to TBaby  
Unread
  (#4)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

July 19, 2007, 09:34 PM

Glad to hear you are ok

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#5)
Resident Rodent

July 19, 2007, 09:34 PM

Yup. Crashing sux.

Glad you are ok.

On the wrist. I did the same in DEC.

The inner wrist has a small bone called a scaphoid. If that's what you broke ... take it seriously. There's only one blood vessel that connects to it to give it blood. If that is screwed up, the bone can die ... and then you got major problems ... and it may not hurt much, until it's too late. So, be sure to get it checked out good. Scaphoid is a common motorcycle injury (I broke mine, NoriHaga has broken his twice).

Here is a FAQ: http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp04013.htm

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com

Last edited by Magic-Rat; July 19, 2007 at 09:37 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
PewPew

July 19, 2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaby
OOh man Sorry to hear about your first accident. It happens.. Just keep your head up and take care of yourself. You'll be back on 2 in no time. Just take the time to get all healed up first.

Glad to hear that you were wearing all of your gear.. Don't you appreciate it so much more now? Because it could have been a lot worse if you weren't wearing it.

I would suggest you trash the helmet and get a new one. Your brain is not something you really want to take a chance with.

Glad you're ok man... crashing does suck, ask tbaby ^ j/k j/k

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#7)
One and Only

July 19, 2007, 09:51 PM

I'm just really impressed by the fact that you admitted you fucked up. Thank you for not blaming 18,000 other things. You did it.

Now you know to keep your head in it. Everytime I've crashed (except 1 ) has been because I got too relaxed and comfortable. My mind wandered, sorta.

Get your thumb healed up, and get back on the horse.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

July 19, 2007, 09:52 PM

glad ur ok

did u see the guardrail and have target fixation?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to smallfry  
Unread
  (#9)
singin sweet home alabama

July 19, 2007, 09:58 PM

Thanks for posting up. Crash reports help keep everyone's awareness levels up.

With just a couple months riding, in all likelihood you just came in too hot and mentally locked up instead of concentrating on the turn and taking it faster than you are normally comfortable with. I know when I was new to riding, there were instances where I just felt there is no way I can take the turn at this speed - and that right there dooms you mentally - when you're new, its really hard to overcome that feeling. Nothing you can do really but build on your experience and gain more confidence taking a turn at a higher speeds - but for me at least, that only comes with time.

I see the rain on the bike, was the road wet, was that at all a factor?

Good to hear you're ok, and +1 to what Rat said, take the injury seriously. Then once you're healed up, get back on.

You ought to be able to find another Scorpion helmet online for a decent price - I probably wouldn't chance it, but only you know how bad the contact was.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#10)
Officially a Ninja

July 19, 2007, 10:04 PM

Glad to hear you're ok, crashing sux! Facked up the second day on my bike.. I think gixrben has a link for those scorpion exo's for 110 bucks, check him out for it...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bluebusa07  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

July 19, 2007, 10:19 PM

Damn dude, glad you're relatively ok. I'd have to guess that you:

-noticed you were running wide
-saw the guardrail
-freaked out
-focused on the guardrail (target fixation)
-went even wider into the grass (you go where you're looking)

Anyway, it's good that you're analyzing it and that you were wearing your gear. As for the helmet, it's not the shell that gets damaged in an impact, but the inner foam. Judging by your picture, chances are the foam was compressed between the shell and the side of your forehead, making that part of the helmet practically useless. You can probably send it in to be checed by the manufacturer, but I'd probably just spring for a new one.

Good luck healing up, feel better!
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.

July 19, 2007, 10:33 PM

Feel better dude, glad you're ok. Check this out!

SCORPION EXO 700s for $110 SHIPPED!!!

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

July 19, 2007, 10:57 PM

You broke your cherry!! And you did not get hurt.

Target fixation is killer!! Take you waaaaaaaaaaaaaay wide every time.

What you did that caused the accident? You let your mind wander, I've been riding a long time and still pay more attention now then when I started. You must constantly process everything and pay 100% attention all the time. It will learn to be fun and think, you'll dirve your cage so much better after. Wish all the cagers rode!

Good luck, get 'er fix and get back out and rail the same turn!!

Can't choose between the R1 and the 10R so I am keeping both but settled with an 1198S when I came home

Keep it up!!!!!!!
Unread
  (#14)
You meet the nicest

July 19, 2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Thanks for posting up. Crash reports help keep everyone's awareness levels up.

With just a couple months riding, in all likelihood you just came in too hot and mentally locked up instead of concentrating on the turn and taking it faster than you are normally comfortable with. I know when I was new to riding, there were instances where I just felt there is no way I can take the turn at this speed - and that right there dooms you mentally - when you're new, its really hard to overcome that feeling. Nothing you can do really but build on your experience and gain more confidence taking a turn at a higher speeds - but for me at least, that only comes with time.

I see the rain on the bike, was the road wet, was that at all a factor?

Good to hear you're ok, and +1 to what Rat said, take the injury seriously. Then once you're healed up, get back on.

You ought to be able to find another Scorpion helmet online for a decent price - I probably wouldn't chance it, but only you know how bad the contact was.
+1

Next time you "get in too hot" or wander wide, look through the turn (even more than you should be already) and press the inside bar. There's almost always more lean angle and traction available. In the worst case a low side is better than running off the road when there's guard rails or worse involved. It's true that training out the urge to panic or lock up is difficult but it must be done. You can practice by pretending you're going off road and do the look/press thing.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#15)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 19, 2007, 11:11 PM

Yea I came to the conclusion it was prolly target fixation. I drove the same turn to pick up a piece of my fairing. And the turn is cake, not steep or anything, I made it like 80% through the ramp. I just remember seeing guardail, thinking o shi** im gonna hit it, slow a bit, turn a bit, hit the grass then bam.....Totatlly wasnt looking through the turn like I should of been. I can take turns pretty decent. I run this curvy road by my house all the time but idk........you live in learn I guess. Sucks its gonna cost me $$$ to get it back in running. O naa wasnt raining when I was riding, got rained on brining it back home.

-just took a shower, like omg, hurt like a bit**, was out in 2 mins lol

Last edited by Quentin; July 19, 2007 at 11:17 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to