DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
2 members and 574 guests
davidcycle, Heist
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

November 6, 2004, 12:32 PM

Well it happened, first time going down on a bike... To have it happen to you is a humbling experience if you can get up and walk away from it. It was a stupid mistake on my part, really really dumb. I keep going through the whole thing in my head. So i'm making a left onto the dulles toll road during rush hour. At this point everything i'm doing is pretty routine, made this turn many times before. well as i come into the turn as i'm leaning the bike over to make the turn i get this feeling like the bike is going to slide out from underneath me. I think in my mind i sorts freaked at that point and jerked the bike back over to keep me from lowsiding, unfortunately the end result is that i lost control of my bike and i ended up highsiding. Next thing i know i'm in the air and i'm about to hit the pavement with my hand stretched out. my left wrist took the brunt of the force, with my right leg also provided some stopping assistance. I was wearing all my gear tho, from boots, to textile pants, to leather jacket, gloves, helmet. All that crap saved me a lot of pain and medical bills that's for damn sure. gloves, jacket and my helmet gots some rash. As for me, my wrist hurts and my leg hurts a little, but otherwise am ok. ego is bruised quite a bit tho. Bike is also fairly ok, a little rash on the left side (thank goodness for frame sliders), needs a new brake lever, and the pieces that connects the brake resivior (sp?) to the brake system snapped into two.

stupid thing is, this was totally my fault. man i feel like such a squid.

Tom

'00 R6 - blue
'04 GS500F - blue
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

November 6, 2004, 01:02 PM

Glad to hear you are alright. It sucks going down but the bike is ok. The best advice I can give is learn and move on.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JAGULE  
Unread
  (#3)
Mr. Glass

November 6, 2004, 01:05 PM

dude, its alright man.. no worries, important thing is your okay.. weve all been down... it sucks.. and everytime you do a lil asphualt surfing you learn something..

as for the confidence thing.. yeah.. i agree w/ ya there.. i had that issue too.. but ya get over it.. last spill that i had.. hadnt slowed me down any..

keep it safe homie..

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#4)
Resident Rodent

November 6, 2004, 01:06 PM

Yep. Sometimes they get a mind of their own and just wanna spit you off.

It happens.

Glad you in one peice.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 6, 2004, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Rat
Yep. Sometimes they get a mind of their own and just wanna spit you off.
I'm not to sure about that^

Glad you're okay. Another lesson learned is how I look at mine.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

November 6, 2004, 03:46 PM

Glad to hear you're ok. I got a little scared when I read "..and i'm about to hit the pavement with my hand stretched out...", I'm glad you didn't break your wrist or arm! Good to hear the gear worked, but even better that you came out with just bumps and bruses.

Next time I see ya, remind me about your spill and I'll buy you a drink to celebrate the fact that you came out ok. Its a thing I do.

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I walked in on Steve while he was in the bathroom once, it was glorious...
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
2002 Sportster 883 (for her)
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 (second one) - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ  
Unread
  (#7)
BE ENCOURAGED!

November 6, 2004, 04:03 PM

Yeah....The School of hard knocks can be a bitch sometimes. I do, however, stongly recommend you drop that course.

Glad you are O.K. Sounds like the bike didn't fair that bad either.

Thanks for having the courage to post that story and enough common sense not to try to fix blame or ask everybody their opinions on what they think you should have done different.

Sh*t happens. Like they say "Everday is a good day....Don't believe it, try missing just one".

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#8)
Happiness Consultant

November 6, 2004, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsy88

instead of feeling like a squid, remember that ure human and that you make mistakes. this mistake, you walked away from fairly intact and nobody else got hurt.

actually heard about this and tried to get in touch with finch so I could call you, but she don;t answer her phone!

anyway, glad to hear you're alright and that you'll be around for another ride someday soon.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#9)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

November 6, 2004, 11:52 PM

I'm glad you're alright!! Take it as a learning expirence and it sounds like you are. Today, I literally laid my bike down. I was at the gas station and was too tired and weak (ran 12 miles this morning) to catch my bike, so I just jumped off and tried to break the fall of the bike. Still had the break and clutch on when it was down. A lot more minor than yours, but every mistake is a learning expirence and it humbles you.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

November 7, 2004, 08:47 AM

been there and done that im just glad your ok and back in the saddle....

'03 TL1000R

"If you run you'll only go to jail tired!"
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

November 7, 2004, 09:19 AM

glad to hear your ok , how fast was the spill , and was there any oil or slippery stuff on the rd you think might of contributed to the accident. also glad you were dressed for the crash and not the ride as they say, i need to break down and get some pants for the street .

pistol packing , monkey drinking no money bum.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jcass Send a message via Yahoo to jcass  
Unread
  (#12)
Site Admin

November 7, 2004, 11:23 AM

glad your good and able to let us know about the incident. sorry it happened, but atleast you walked away. from the way you described everything in the thread.......you dont sound like a squid, you sound like a smart rider, who was dressed for the occassion...
Unread
  (#13)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 7, 2004, 07:27 PM

I have a lot of respect for you as a person and a rider. Some people will fall and not say a word because it's not supposed to happen to then. I've watched alot of pros fall and we can all learn from everyone. Thanks for being honest and I'm glad you can walk away to ride another day

G-Dog

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#14)
( * )|( * )

November 7, 2004, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsy88
Well it happened, first time going down on a bike... To have it happen to you is a humbling experience if you can get up and walk away from it. It was a stupid mistake on my part, really really dumb. I keep going through the whole thing in my head. So i'm making a left onto the dulles toll road during rush hour. At this point everything i'm doing is pretty routine, made this turn many times before. well as i come into the turn as i'm leaning the bike over to make the turn i get this feeling like the bike is going to slide out from underneath me. I think in my mind i sorts freaked at that point and jerked the bike back over to keep me from lowsiding, unfortunately the end result is that i lost control of my bike and i ended up highsiding. Next thing i know i'm in the air and i'm about to hit the pavement with my hand stretched out. my left wrist took the brunt of the force, with my right leg also provided some stopping assistance. I was wearing all my gear tho, from boots, to textile pants, to leather jacket, gloves, helmet. All that crap saved me a lot of pain and medical bills that's for damn sure. gloves, jacket and my helmet gots some rash. As for me, my wrist hurts and my leg hurts a little, but otherwise am ok. ego is bruised quite a bit tho. Bike is also fairly ok, a little rash on the left side (thank goodness for frame sliders), needs a new brake lever, and the pieces that connects the brake resivior (sp?) to the brake system snapped into two.

Tom don't beat your self up! You're an excellent and responsible rider. Important thing is you're ok!

-Chris

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

November 7, 2004, 09:07 PM

thanks all for you words, although it was rather a minor crash in comparison to some others, regardless its given me a large appreciation for gear, the sport in general an everything around me.

I'd say i was probably going around 25, but i don't remember anything in my path that would of caused me to slip or anything. At this point i'm going to chalk the feeling of almost falling, panicing and then falling as a learning experience, and live to ride another day!

Tom

'00 R6 - blue
'04 GS500F - blue