DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
2 members and 538 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
dear motorcycle....[outcome]
Unread
  (#1)
i eat mop who?

dear motorcycle....[outcome] - October 28, 2007, 10:20 PM

Outcome: $400 dollars and 100+ miles of driving I finally have my bike back. The trooper decided to take a week to get back to me which in the mean time i was racking up storage fees from the tow company that had my bike. In the end I walked away from the trooper with a "failure to report accident" ticket...and he did an accident report. I'm just glad this crap is over, now i just gotta get the bike apart and see who wants what....

So today started out a nice day with the sun being out and the sky being clear...granted it got cold toward the evening. I had a 4 oclock group ride with my schools motorcycle club of which i'm the VP. Before heading off I did all the normal checks (lights, fluids, etc) and i noticed my front tire was underinflated by about 9 psi (should be 33psi cold but reading was at 24psi). Anyway, our route for the day was 33 west up the mountain towards WV. We get out on 33 and stop at the only shell along the way to fill up and do last minute stuff before getting to the mountain. I go to fill up my front tire and realize the hose was leaking and wouldn't fill my tire up with any air, well my friend (the president of the group) and a couple other were like "we're burning daylight, just go and take it easy you'll be fine" (that's where i should have listened to the voice in my head saying the tire is too underinflated...this isn't a good idea)

so we get going and i'm taking up the rear b/c i'm taking it real easy, we go up the mountain and hang out at the top for a while freezing our butts off and taking pictures. It gets really cold so we decide to do one big final run down the WV side of 33 and then back up and over to the VA side and then head back to harrisonburg. On our way down i took the rear again b/c i really wasn't feeling 100 percent on my bike. For those of you who have been in 33 west up the mountain know that on the west virginia side there are a few turns where the elevation change is pretty dramatic. anyway i get to one of these turns and i'm going 35 mph at this point, initiate the lean and then...what do you know...the front just felt real light all the sudden and the next thing i know i'm sliding and rolling toward the guard rail next to my bike and then my bike disappears because it slides directly underneath the guard rail. On the other side of the guard rail there was maybe 8 feet of slightly slanted land and then just like a 80 degree drop from there. My bike, though completely mangled somehow stayed on the 8 feet patch of grass. I on the other hand slid just about to the guard rail before i was able to catch my feet and jump up. I hopped over the guard rail and turned off the engine and waited while my buddies came back up.

A good deal of cagers came upon me sitting the guard rail and gave me weird looks, since there was no bike in visible sight near me, and a couple cagers who kind of saw the incident came back by to make sure I was okay, luckily i had only a minor cut on my thumb and my knee was a little banged, other than that I felt fine. My bike on the other hand...not so fine looking. One of the guys riding with us said he had a truck with a tow and could get my bike back, but he'd have to ride 40 min back home to get the truck then 40 min back . So we cleaned the road of debris, one of the guys grabbed my plates (which i didn't even think about and still not sure why he did), one guy went to get his truck, and the rest of us headed back to harrisonburg to grab materials to A) pull the bike up from the other side and B) to get it into the truck bed. This whole process takes about 2 hours and we all head back up 33, at this point it's pitch dark and freezing and we get to what we were all certain was the crash site, we go over to the guard rail with a small flashlight and what do we see? NOTHING....the bike is gone...and the area around it is cleaned up pretty well...we thought maybe the bike slide down the rest of the way to the bottom, so we basically sat on our butts and slide down and came to the conclusiong that it'd be really hard for it to slide all that way. I get back home and call WVSP and VSP and none of them said they picked up any vehicles on 33...so either A) i was at the wrong turn, or B) it slid all the way down, or C)some guy jacked it, or D)someone called the cops and they came and picked it up. E) cops picked it up but it's just not in their system yet that they did (i dunno how it works).

At this point i'm really just at a loss as to what to do and what to think...do i report a stolen bike? if cops did pick it up am i in trouble for leaving the site? What exactly caused me to lowside? could it be tires that were really cold or was it the underinflated front tire? I wasn't overly agressive at all, i'm not sure what the speed limit exactly but i thought 35 was a safe speed to take the turn...i guess not....i'm not a bike expert and so i dont' know if underinflated front tire can cause a lowside when in a lean.

it's ironic because in the club i'm normally the one getting on people about gear and bike checks before rides, yet i'm the one who wrecked and the others who didn't care what their tire pressure or anything was came out just fine.

In the end I can only blame myself b/c i chose to get on the bike. But in all this I also learned that, it's just not smart to ride when you're not 100 percent and knwo that you're not 100 percent, man or machine.

Anyway, if any of you have ideas as to how to locate my bike or what to do next or even what you think caused the lowside, then please feel free to let me know. Sorry this was so long, thanks everyone, be safe and make sure those tires are warm.

Last edited by vaboy; November 6, 2007 at 09:43 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to vaboy  
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator

October 28, 2007, 10:26 PM

wow!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

October 28, 2007, 11:05 PM

Damn, That sucks, Sounds like the bike bandits got you!! I would report It!
It might be sitting in some hillbillies backyard!!!!!!

Everytime I get on my bike I tell myself, "I'm going to chill, go the speed limit" How long do you think that lasts for? Exactly!
Blame it on my short term memory!!
Unread
  (#4)
singin sweet home alabama

October 28, 2007, 11:29 PM

wtf? How did anyone know it was there if it was down a hill? ... and if you guys couldn't get it up the hill how did someone else?

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#5)
Contributor

October 28, 2007, 11:49 PM

First off I am sorry that you went down.. I am sure that tire pressure could easily been a factor but regarless even happier you alive and not off the edge of a cliff! I would certainly consider that someone local got a beat on getting the bike however that person HAS HUGE STONES and would probably be a local to the mountain area.. you might consider running an add or posting up at any bike stores. in the area.. you can save some time by calling and faxing the manager a letter they can post... i know as least at colman they let people pin up in the parts department..

If your a thief and going to steal in broad day light .. your going to do it fast and concealed ... there may be a chance that other bikers saw the recovery and offered help .. this all assuming the bike isn't concealed on the mountain from having slid down.

If you claim the bike stolen make sure you consider that fraud can land you jail time so even though it may sting you should probably go that route..

If you want to investigate ... call another insurance agency other then you own and ask them.. seriously if the bike does come up.. the guy who got its going to tell the police he found it wrecked...

Scoping the mountain again would be a smart decision .... If you dont remember where it went over.. maybe some of the other riders do... daylight would certainly help.

the longer you delay the more likely things get away..

I hope you find it.

Lucky

Last edited by Lucky; October 28, 2007 at 11:53 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#6)
i eat mop who?

October 28, 2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
wtf? How did anyone know it was there if it was down a hill? ... and if you guys couldn't get it up the hill how did someone else?
that's what we were thinking. There were six of us and we could have yanked the bike up the hill a bit to the side of the road, but we dind't want to pull it up there and then just have it sit there attracting attention until we got the truck. Where the bike was laying was out of sight to anyone just driving by, atleast from all the angles i could see. There were two cars that had passed after i wrecked that came back up and offered help, one black pickup truck with 2 really really hillbilly lookin guys, i mean the driver had teeth that looked like the fake nasty teeth you get for halloween, they pulled over and just kind of looked at me not know what to say so I was like "i'm physically alright thanks, we're getting a truck to pick this up." so they drove off slowly..the other car that stopped was this old couple coming back from a canoeing trip and asked if i was alright and i told them the same thing. Aside from the two vehicles that pulled over..there were a good deal of other vehicles that drove by while i was walking around and my buddies were walking around with bikes pulled over. So i'm almost hoping someone just called the cops when they got down the mountain and they ended up coming to get it....but as of yet WVSP and VSP don't have it.
Unread
  (#7)
Contributor

October 28, 2007, 11:56 PM

also consider calling the tow companies in the area.. they are usually 24 hours and would know if they pulled a wreck from a mountain.. you dont forget shit like that.
Unread
  (#8)
i eat mop who?

October 29, 2007, 12:00 AM

this is a going to a tough week to handle this crap...exams mon/tues/thurs/ job interviews wed/fri....not a great week to have this happen...going to bed now but i'll be making a lot of calls tomorrow.
Unread
  (#9)
Bikeless... for now

October 29, 2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaboy
one black pickup truck with 2 really really hillbilly lookin guys, i mean the driver had teeth that looked like the fake nasty teeth you get for halloween, they pulled over and just kind of looked at me not know what to say so I was like "i'm physically alright thanks, we're getting a truck to pick this up." so they drove off slowly..the other .
There's your answer

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
Unread
  (#10)
Ling Long

October 29, 2007, 07:08 AM

Sucks that happened man. At least you came out mostly unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyinVA
If you want to investigate ... call another insurance agency other then you own and ask them.. seriously if the bike does come up.. the guy who got its going to tell the police he found it wrecked...
Or, you could use half a brain (which apparently you lack) and report the entire incident, wreck and all. Deedeedee. It's still a stolen bike.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#11)
a.k.a. Batman?

October 29, 2007, 08:22 AM

go back over the route make sure you were lookin in the right spot. If you don't find it report it don't worry about the leaving the scene thing. the right spot will have marks like those of a 400 lb bike being dragged through grass, or something. If you looked real well and do the police report and your honest the insurance company can't get you for fraud if it turns up. Unless ofcourse it turns up in your garage, lol.

Glad your ok and good luck with all that. I do not envy you...

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Madman  
Unread
  (#12)
i eat mop who?

October 29, 2007, 09:06 AM

yeah i just talked to my trooper friend and he gave me the number for the sheriff's dept that probably would have responded to that mountain, told me to call and tell them what happened...if they didn't pick it up then some hillbilly probably did and then at that point report stolen
Unread
  (#13)
Site Owner

October 29, 2007, 10:22 AM

Just report the whole incident to your insurance company. Done and done.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#14)
Contributor

October 29, 2007, 10:25 AM

[/quote] Or, you could use half a brain (which apparently you lack) and report the entire incident, wreck and all. Deedeedee. It's still a stolen bike.[/quote]

Called State Farm.. they agree however they said they would call me back to tell me if there would be a depreciated value.. its depends on the person handling the claim to some degree...

I'm not advising him to not report the wreck... I would certainly go the honest route.

Last edited by Lucky; October 29, 2007 at 10:27 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

October 29, 2007, 10:40 AM

What a sucky situation. Glad to hear that you are physically unharmed.

Sometimes the shock of an accident makes our brains mushy. Follow your trooper buddy's advice. Good luck!