DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
3 members and 519 guests
davidcycle, Heist, maverickfhs
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Eatting my words and posting my wreck
Unread
  (#1)
Nubbs ban yourself!

Eatting my words and posting my wreck - October 16, 2006, 11:05 AM

I am posting this for a few reasons.
First I made a statement a while back that I didn't think an experienced rider should get taken out by gravel in the road and at some level I stand by that.
However what took me out was not gravel that I could see but going back to the scene my rear end started going out before I got to the gravel I could see. Turns out it seems to be almost sand like gravel that got my bike sideways. I was in the other lane before I got it straight but now my bike was wobbling so bad I couldn't continue the turn and just went straight right into the grass. As soon as I hit the grass it went out from under me, slamming my right side rib cage and hip onto the pavement. I broke 5 ribs at about my shoulder blade area and my left hand middle finger. The bike slid a ways taking out a mailbox. The mailbox did most of the damage, craking my fairing and denting all four exhaust headers. The right side slider protected that side pretty well other than a bunch of stratches. My Rf-1000 was awesome, it is a conversation piece now but, when I hit my head I instantly thought to myself how nice and easy that hit was. My leather jacket protected a lot of road rash that would have been on my shoulder, back and arm. My gloves have the carbon fiber at the knuckles and they are ground down pretty good. I am just super lucky no one was coming around that turn.

Now onto my second reason for this post.
The turn is in Frederick County, I went down 270S to 80W to Thurston Rd and made a left. Not far up the road is a horse farm that has a gravel road. The lady who lives there came up on the scene and said I was like the 25th bike that has gone down there. She said it is really bad when it is during one of her horse shows. She was actually kind of laughing about it. I went back there Saturday to talk to the guy whos mailbox I took out even though I left my number I had never heard from him. I told him what she had said and he said he thinks that number is very low. He said he sits out in the front yard and probably at least 1 time a month a bike goes down.
On another forum someone said I should report this unsafe condition to whom ever maintains that road and that if they find it dangerous they could make the owner of the gravel road responisble for damages. Make her clean the road or post signs. I don't think posting signs will help as I slowed down to the speed limit when I saw the gravel but it was what I didn't see that took me out.
My question is for the LEO's here do you think there is anything I can do legally to get this woman to start cleaning the road since she knows it is causing a lot of accidents or to make her legally responsible for future bike accidents. I just would like to somehow make this road safer for the next guy/girl?

I was wearing Joe Rocket SpeedBlaster leather pants and riding boots.
I have a huge bruise on my hip but the pants did there job against any road rash.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
DAS BOOT

October 16, 2006, 11:08 AM

Does it happen to be a state maintained road? I don't know if this can help or not, but you might be able to call VDOT about it...
Sorry to hear you went down! Glad you are ok, for the most part...

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#3)
whoa preppy......

October 16, 2006, 11:09 AM

Roads are not privately owned. She isn't responsible for the condition of the road in front of her house unless what she is doing is deliberate.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

Welcome to club Inevitable.

Glad it was only your pride that got the worst of it.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#5)
Rocket girl

Glad you are ok!!!! Sorry to hear about your bike!

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

October 16, 2006, 11:11 AM

Yeah..who's job is it to clean up all the damn leaves everywhere.

Someone's head is going to roll for that one!

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#7)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

October 16, 2006, 11:11 AM

Sorry to hear you went down! Glad you are ok

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#8)
DAS BOOT

October 16, 2006, 11:12 AM

During one of my rides out towards Nokesville- there was a lady and husband that decided people rode too fast down their road. They placed several 2x4's in the road so people would have to run them over.... Didn't bother me any, but they shouldn't take the law into their own hands by placing those out into the road to make people slow down. You have a problem with it, you call the authorities and let them deal with it. If someone is placing that in the road to deliberately cause an accident... then they should be dealt with...
Farking people.

Unread
  (#9)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 16, 2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
Roads are not privately owned. She isn't responsible for the condition of the road in front of her house unless what she is doing is deliberate.
Thanks LadyK,
I hear what you are saying Scot. I guess the gravel road up she probably has to maintain but doesn't really "own".
I have thought about actually going there and cleaning it myself but how long can I keep that up. The neighbor said everytime it rains the rocks go into the road. It is an awesome road for riding but this road has me considering doing just this type of stuff on the track only and just sticking to the main roads.
Many of my friends won't even ride on the road, track only, just because of stuff like this!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#10)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 16, 2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
During one of my rides out towards Nokesville- there was a lady and husband that decided people rode too fast down their road. They placed several 2x4's in the road so people would have to run them over.... Didn't bother me any, but they shouldn't take the law into their own hands by placing those out into the road to make people slow down. You have a problem with it, you call the authorities and let them deal with it. If someone is placing that in the road to deliberately cause an accident... then they should be dealt with...
Farking people.
Wow! I am surprised a few bikers didn't take those 2x4's into their own hands so to speak!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 16, 2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6
Yeah..who's job is it to clean up all the damn leaves everywhere.

Someone's head is going to roll for that one!
I hear ya and I wouldn't even have been thinking about trying to make her responsible if this other guy hadn't mentioned it to me.

I find myself amazed I am even suggesting this as it is not me. Usually I am the first one to say we have to take responsibility for ourselves. I just would like to try and protect the next biker coming down that road.
If I could be at every corner cleaning it of debre I would be there.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#12)
> 6'3" need not apply!

October 16, 2006, 11:24 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I wondered the same thing about where I crashed my bike on Hume Rd. That is a particulary dangerous curve and the guy there told me that he had seen at least 25 people go down in that exact same spot. Many folks on this site know the spot and, unfortunately, one of our .netters went down the very next weekend and he is still recovering from that.

I think LadyK is right, VDOT should be the ones to contact about dangerous road conditions. There could be signs and/or mirrors (in my case) to warn drivers/riders of the upcoming road elements.

Like I said, glad you are okay (for the most part) and thank you for posting the road location as a precaution for others who may ride down there in the future.

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#13)
DAS BOOT

October 16, 2006, 11:29 AM

We were about to stop, because we were yelling out of our helmets, but I thought they were going to run after us w/ a piece of wood... seriously. I have not seen it there since, they probably had the cops called on THEM for taking the law into their own hands...

As far as dangerous conditions...I think if it a state maintained road that you should def call VDOT. At least they will AWARE of the road conditions...

Unread
  (#14)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 16, 2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey86
Sorry to hear about your accident. I wondered the same thing about where I crashed my bike on Hume Rd. That is a particulary dangerous curve and the guy there told me that he had seen at least 25 people go down in that exact same spot. Many folks on this site know the spot and, unfortunately, one of our .netters went down the very next weekend and he is still recovering from that.

I think LadyK is right, VDOT should be the ones to contact about dangerous road conditions. There could be signs and/or mirrors (in my case) to warn drivers/riders of the upcoming road elements.

Like I said, glad you are okay (for the most part) and thank you for posting the road location as a precaution for others who may ride down there in the future.
Just so people know this was in MD.
No signs exist on that turn for rocks, true but I wonder how much help it would do. A guy on the fjrforum was recently taken out by sand. I have ridden over gravel many times and usually it just makes my rear end roll off the top of the rocks but no big deal in a straight way. This ground up gravel was like running over ice and I was not even to the turn yet or leaned over and my rear went out on me.
I guess part of my problem with this accident is mentally I don't know what could have been done or what skill to improve to help prevent it in the future. My dirt bike accident was all me, grabbed too much front brake in a panic situation. I have worked on that a lot since then, when going into a turn on the street and my fear says slow down hit the brake I force myself to resist. This accident I don't know that I have anything to learn from it, yet!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by n2sport; October 16, 2006 at 11:33 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
B
It goes to 11.

October 16, 2006, 11:33 AM

If that can is biffed I have an identical silver to Blue and I'll sell it to ya for $220

New in box.

Sorry to hear this happened man, hope you heal fast.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B