DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 526
2 members and 524 guests
davidcycle, Heist
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

May 7, 2004, 02:18 PM

I was out riding by myself on April 24 and decided to head up to the George Washington National Forest. I'm about 30 miles into the forest and I hit a twisty section of road (ridden it many times). This road leads up and over a mountain and right as you get to the top of the mountain there is a sharp right hand turn that is blind. On the other side of the turn there is a section that is paved so people can pull off the road and look out over the side of the mountain into the valley (very beautiful). Well I was coming around this turn that is rated at 20 and I was doing about 35. Sitting dead in my lane in park was a huge SUV. The idiot decided to stop in the middle of the road and look out over the side of the mountain vs. pulling off in the "mini parking lot." Unfortunately I was well into the turn when I came around and saw him, I had 1/2 second to react to either dump the bike or run right into the back of this huge a$$ SUV. I decided to take the lesser of the two evils and just hit the brakes and let the bike slide out from under me. Luckily I was wearing Jeans, SIDI Vert boots, JR Phoenix Gloves and Jacket, and of course my helmet. I rolled for about 10 - 12 feel and the bike slid about that far as well. Thankfully I was ok, just a bit sore in the back and neck from the tumble and my ankle and knee hurt a bit as well. The bike is not bad either;just a bit of paint damage and a small mark on the exhaust (Tuna's are built Ford tough). Now back to the story. . . I get up and some people at the overlook run over to see if I'm ok and to help me get my bike up. We get the bike up and the guy in the truck says "that’s what you get for riding something like that." Needless to say him and I had some words but once I noticed his kids were in the car looking at us and listening I just said "Ok, I give up you’re and idiot and I don't want to make you look like any more of an idiot in front of your kids, they already have to live with knowing their dad is an a$$ hole." His jaw hit the floor and he pulled away. I checked out the bike again then started her up and was going to turn around and go home, but I started thinking and realized that I was going to be ok, the bike was ok and that there was no reason to get "gun shy" off something like that so I continued my ride through the forest and out to rt211.

Just thought I would share while i'm here.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jrmicon  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

May 7, 2004, 02:44 PM

Yeah that is the worst turn of the mountain. I'll remember that next time I go up.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#3)
Groundhogs can play dead

May 7, 2004, 03:25 PM

holy hell, talk about practicing self control!!

I know a lot of people that would have decked the driver for saying something like that!

Glad you're ok!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Mr. Glass

May 7, 2004, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
holy hell, talk about practicing self control!!

I know a lot of people that would have decked the driver for saying something like that!

Glad you're ok!
yeah i woulda caused a 187 on his azz.. for real.. excellent display of self control.. something that i totally lack.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

May 7, 2004, 03:48 PM

oh hell na id a rolled his a$$ down that mountain
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to incognegro  
Unread
  (#6)
boxing twins

May 7, 2004, 05:14 PM

One question and one observation (both from not having been on that road):

Q: In hindsight, did you have option #3 to wide go around the SUV? I know this would have put you into oncoming traffic.

O: Isn't it illegal to park in the road (same as travelling too slowly)? He's actually partially liable for causing your crash, assuming you were travelling at the posted speed limit. I'm neither a cop, nor a lawyer, so someone who knows better, please post.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#7)
Mr. Glass

May 7, 2004, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusafiend
One question and one observation (both from not having been on that road):

Q: In hindsight, did you have option #3 to wide go around the SUV? I know this would have put you into oncoming traffic.

O: Isn't it illegal to park in the road (same as travelling too slowly)? He's actually partially liable for causing your crash, assuming you were travelling at the posted speed limit. I'm neither a cop, nor a lawyer, so someone who knows better, please post.
I was thinking the same thing also.. could ya go wide.. or hold im liable for this sh%*? I would image you could cause he was clearly at fault that jackass..

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

May 7, 2004, 05:31 PM

If it's 675 he's talking about....woodstock tower rd through Elizabeth Furnace...there is no going wide on that road. It's 1.5 lanes wide as is and the pavement is not stellar (though there were in the midst of paving last I was there about 2 weeks ago)
Going wide = gaurdrail = 1000 foot fall onto rocks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Got my Permit

May 7, 2004, 06:37 PM

Wow, i'm surprised so many people know exactly which turn it is. It was at the top of Elizabeth Furnace and it was about 1.5 lanes wide with no markings on the pavement. Afterwareds I thought as well about going wide but at the time it didn't even cross my mind, plus if I had gone wide and hit someone head on I woud have really gotten hurt. I still think I made the best decision to just let it go.

It did take a ton of self control however to keep from beating the guy senseless with my helmet . . . . I think I was just too shocked at the time.

Overall the bike is fine, only slight paint damage (could be covered up with a dollar bill), bar end scratched up, and exhaust has a very small mark that I'm going to get out with a brillow pad and some aluminium cleaner.

Well i'm off to the garage to change the oil and to clean the chain. . . . got to get ready for Deals Gap later this week
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jrmicon  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

May 7, 2004, 07:12 PM

I thought you were talking about 33's blind turn:

At the middle, the turn is flanked on the right by the mountain (the light and dark apex).

EDIT: Stupid PHP loaded pictures...nevermind. Put this in your browser:
http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/i...r_id=310&t=pan

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

May 7, 2004, 07:46 PM

I know the turn he is talking about. I am usually the first to say that the sportbiker was to blame due to excessive speed but any moron who parks an SUV just after that turn deserves a severe ass beating. Even if you were going the speed limit it would have been a major OhSHIT moment.
Unread
  (#12)
Super Moderator

May 8, 2004, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusafiend
Well, lemme think....Well, it seems to pull into 2 parts. Yes. It is illegal to park in the middle of the road. No doubt about it. He can get a ticket for a contributing factor.

But, the operator of the vehicle must remain in control of his vehicle at all times. In other words, come to a stop when need be. If he cant, he is going to fast for the road conditions. Speed Limit means that is the fastest you can go on that road if all conditions are permitting. Its stupid, but that is the way I think the law is written. Thats why its your fault if you rear end someone. You have to come to a complete stop whatever happens in front of you.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#13)
Got my Permit

May 8, 2004, 04:37 PM

yah....you gotta be able to see your way through the turn and deal accordingly. shitty moment that coulda been A LOT worse. glad it worked out for you.

googs
Unread
  (#14)
RIP Jeff Vega

May 8, 2004, 05:52 PM

Jrmicon,

Be careful at deals gap. I just got back yesterday 5/7. It was to first time down for me. I ran the dragon quite a few times and it is a blast. It is alot tighter than I expected. There were 3 accidents while I was down there. No your limits and ride at them. Be careful of the cops also. There were 2 cop cars cruising up and down the dragon for about 3 hours one day. Posted speed limit is 30 mph!!! You might be able to hit 80mph once or twice but thats about it.

Watch out for tractor trailers also......my father was ran off the road by one . Check your tires before you leave. I had 700 miles on the rear before I left.....I put an additional 1500 miles on it and it was fried. I didn't make it home

TN has the best roads that I have ever ridden. If you get a chance ride the Chelora Skyway(sp?) which is rt 143 and also the blue ridge parkway. The blueridge in NC is the best section in my opinion. It is 469 miles of absolute fun, as long as your tire holds up .

Enjoy your trip.
Unread
  (#15)
FASTER

May 10, 2004, 05:04 PM

That should make it a lot harder to get your license here in the US. Many countries it is a lot harder to get your license. They should put a common sense section in the test. IE Should you stop in the middle of the road around a blind turn or just over the crest of a hill? I mean do people never think of this? I can't believe how many idiot drivers I see that are completely oblivious to everything outside of them. I can't believe that guy said what he said. Maybe he didn't realize that his death machine was blocking the road on the top of a mountain on a blind turn.

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO