DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 516
1 members and 515 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Hit and run - Fauquier
Unread
  (#1)
Like my chicken strips?

Hit and run - Fauquier - June 29, 2008, 08:58 AM

Well, up until this weekend I was in the "Riders who haven't crashed...yet" category. So much for that. Long story below...

Friday afternoon I was hit by a truck on Elk Run Rd where it intersects w/Midland. Midland being the intersecting "side road" that has stop signs while Elk does not. I usually take it easy going through this intersection and I think that kept this from being a lot worse. In any case, he just didn't stop at his sign. I got on the brakes but somewhere in the time/distance/rider skill dept. something came up short. The bike began to lowside/tuck a split second before impact so it kind of twisted under as it began to hit. I guess this kept me from going over the hood but it unfortunately put me at a level to hit my head on the truck.

I got up and without so much as an "are you ok" this jerk starts telling me what he thinks of me and how it's my fault. I yell back a little and he steps back for a minute. I look around, still seem to have all my limbs, no major bleeding, etc. Cool, at least that's something. So I go to stand the bike up and move it from the road and he goes toward his truck...I'm thinking we're just moving our sh** from the road since the middle of an intersection on a 45mph road is a bad place to be. Guess I was wrong. He takes off and by the time I realize what is happening I'm not able to get the full tag.

Several motorists and two Harley riders offered to help and one of the riders stayed with me until the police arrived. He said he'd been in front of the truck on Midland and that he'd been tailgaiting him the whole way down.

The officer tried to look up what I thought what the tag was but I'm aware that I was kind of groggy/out of it at the time so I'm not surprised that they didn't get a match.

Anyhow, the end result is:

Me - Rashed knee (jeans ) general soreness, pain in my left arm, some grogginess for a few minutes at the scene.
Gear - Helmet *looks* OK but I feel like I thunked it pretty good - not gonna use it anymore.
Bike - Rash in various places and the steering is off. Hard to describe right now but something just feels wrong, as if it's not as stable. It falls into turns too quickly now and won't sort itself out as cleanly after going over bumps. One of the forks is clearly leaking oil, not sure if that fully explains the above or not.

The truck/driver:
White F150, early 00's body style...tag is KBZ2??? (I thought 489 but it didn't match). Driver's a middle-aged, average build white male, brown hair. I know I know, such a rare combination!

If you ride in the area I'm talking about I'd appreciate it if you could keep an eye out and send me a PM with the rest of the tag if you happen to see it. Sorry if I put anyone's roads "out there" but I figured it's better to know that you might have a d-bag like this running around back there.

Fear the little green ninja.

Last edited by ILikeCheese; June 29, 2008 at 09:01 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
PewPew

June 29, 2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeCheese
Well, up until this weekend I was in the "Riders who haven't crashed...yet" category. So much for that. Long story below...

Friday afternoon I was hit by a truck on Elk Run Rd where it intersects w/Midland. Midland being the intersecting "side road" that has stop signs while Elk does not. I usually take it easy going through this intersection and I think that kept this from being a lot worse. In any case, he just didn't stop at his sign. I got on the brakes but somewhere in the time/distance/rider skill dept. something came up short. The bike began to lowside/tuck a split second before impact so it kind of twisted under as it began to hit. I guess this kept me from going over the hood but it unfortunately put me at a level to hit my head on the truck.

I got up and without so much as an "are you ok" this jerk starts telling me what he thinks of me and how it's my fault. I yell back a little and he steps back for a minute. I look around, still seem to have all my limbs, no major bleeding, etc. Cool, at least that's something. So I go to stand the bike up and move it from the road and he goes toward his truck...I'm thinking we're just moving our sh** from the road since the middle of an intersection on a 45mph road is a bad place to be. Guess I was wrong. He takes off and by the time I realize what is happening I'm not able to get the full tag.

Several motorists and two Harley riders offered to help and one of the riders stayed with me until the police arrived. He said he'd been in front of the truck on Midland and that he'd been tailgaiting him the whole way down.

The officer tried to look up what I thought what the tag was but I'm aware that I was kind of groggy/out of it at the time so I'm not surprised that they didn't get a match.

Me - Rashed knee (jeans ) general soreness, pain in my left arm, some grogginess for a few minutes at the scene.
Gear - Helmet *looks* OK but I feel like I thunked it pretty good - not gonna use it anymore.
Bike - Rash in various places and the steering is off. Hard to describe right now but something just feels wrong, as if it's not as stable. It falls into turns too quickly now and won't sort itself out as cleanly after going over bumps. One of the forks is clearly leaking oil, not sure if that fully explains the above or not.

The truck/driver:
White F150, early 00's body style...tag is KBZ2??? (I thought 489 but it didn't match). Driver's a middle-aged, average build white male, brown hair. I know I know, such a rare combination!

If you ride in the area I'm talking about I'd appreciate it if you could keep an eye out and send me a PM with the rest of the tag if you happen to see it. Sorry if I put anyone's roads "out there" but I figured it's better to know that you might have a d-bag like this running around back there.
Fauquier is my stomping grounds, I'll watch for it. Anything else you can remember about the truck or subject? That would be helpful, I have the partial tag written down so I'll be sure to watch for it. Do you remember if you / the bike did any damage to his front end?

Well whether you find the douche or not at least you're ok. You're lucky you didn't end up under the truck! How's the bike?

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#3)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 29, 2008, 09:19 AM

Man that just sucks but I am glad you made it out ok!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#4)
Still here

June 29, 2008, 09:40 AM

Glad you're OK! I think you may still want to be checked out by a Dr, but that's just the way I roll. I hope some one finds this douchebag Grrr!

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

June 29, 2008, 10:26 AM

you stuffed your forks (they are bent backwards)
Unread
  (#6)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 29, 2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseTooth
you stuffed your forks (they are bent backwards)
I know places such as sending your forks to race tech will check forks for being straight as part of their normal procedures anytime they get a set in.
Do normal shops around here have this ability?

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#7)
superdupernunu

June 29, 2008, 01:54 PM

any shop can tell you if your forks are straight or not...if your fork is leaking the seal is busted, if the seal is busted then fork has traveled way past its point of intended travel and you may as well get yourself a new set at that point. on my old '01 R6 i needed new forks because mine were bent as well and i managed to get used-straight set off ebay for $250.

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 29, 2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha00311
any shop can tell you if your forks are straight or not...if your fork is leaking the seal is busted, if the seal is busted then fork has traveled way past its point of intended travel and you may as well get yourself a new set at that point. on my old '01 R6 i needed new forks because mine were bent as well and i managed to get used-straight set off ebay for $250.
I have known people to blow seals from coming down to hard from a wheelie on a street bike or a jump on a dirt bike.
Are you saying these forks are then bent now also?

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#9)
whoa preppy......

June 29, 2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeCheese

The truck/driver:

If you know the road he was pulling off from give me a name. I'll wander down that way and see if I see a truck matching the description parked in a driveway. I ride that area frequently.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Lurking

June 29, 2008, 03:53 PM

Damn man, sorry to hear. Glad you made it out in one piece.

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#11)
Like my chicken strips?

July 1, 2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks everyone. Haven't had a chance to get the forks checked out yet but I'll definitely be doing that before I start riding again. That's my main concern, the rest appears to be cosmetic. It's also an ex500 so I don't think I was impressing anyone before anyway.

It was Midland Rd that the driver took when he left, heading toward Briestersburg Rd. I took that road afterwards, there are at least 3 F150's back there, none of them matched. I've also become painfully aware of how many white 150's there are in this area now.

Fear the little green ninja.