DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 568
1 members and 567 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
opossum puncher

July 9, 2019, 11:34 AM

Sorry to hear, glad you are still here. Heal up, took a while for me to feel comfortable on the bike again after my last incident, but I just couldnt stay away.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#17)
Railing!

July 10, 2019, 07:30 AM

Some good news - my doctor's office was able to get me my MRI and I had it done Monday morning. Amazing. I got the report but haven't talked to my doctor about it yet. It looks mostly Greek, but I did see that there is "focal full-thickness tearing of the medial retinaculum from the patellar insertion." Google says that will heal on its own, though I may be at greater risk for a knee dislocation. No idea how long the recovery is.

Full thickness graft is scheduled for Thursday morning. Looking forward to getting on the "final" road to recovery, though I have a feeling it will feel like I've hit a soft reset button for a while.

2010 Triumph Street Triple R
2008 Triumph Street Triple (track)
2018 Triumph Bobber Black
2019 Honda Monkey ABS
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#18)
Railing!

July 10, 2019, 07:36 AM

Oh, they totaled my bike. Going to fight with them over the value. I had a $500 deductible, and these are the amounts:

Keep the bike, title becomes salvage: $2,065.50
Insurance takes bike: $3,185.50

Accounting for the deductible, they've pegged the bike's replacement value at $3685. No way could I buy a 2010 Bonneville for that kind of money. Not sure if I want to keep it to resell. I'd like to think it would be a fun project, but I already have too many bikes, and the resale value would take a hit due to the title being salvaged. It fires up like a champ and still sounds nice, so there's that.

2019 Honda Monkey ABS
Unread
  (#19)
Triumph-ant

July 10, 2019, 08:20 AM

Damn that's a garbage evaluation.

It's a toss up really. Not sure how much of a return you'd get by fixing and selling it with a salvage title. Yet, it certainly is worth fighting with the insurance company about.

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#20)
Railing!

July 10, 2019, 08:26 AM

They already rejected my rejection and would not increase it. Time to start looking for another company.

2019 Honda Monkey ABS
Unread
  (#21)
Triumph-ant

July 10, 2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
They already rejected my rejection and would not increase it. Time to start looking for another company.
That's some BS. So you cashing out?

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#22)

July 16, 2019, 10:30 PM

Hey - glad you (rolled and slid) out of this.

No worries on the bike - total it and take your time on figuring out your new steed.

I have had a few bad get offs on the street and track and for street bikes once was enough for me when it was a real crash to part ways.

Dunno why, stakes are higher on the street (to me) so I would relax, take your time and get a bike that excites you to ride.

Best of luck on your recovery...physically and otherwise.
Unread
  (#23)
Railing!

July 17, 2019, 12:58 PM

Been a while since my last update. My doctor's office was able to pull some strings and work with my insurance company to get an MRI done on the 8th. No surgery needed, but I do have a "full thickness tear of the medial retinaculum from the patellar insertion" whatever that means. Google says it'll heal on its own without surgery.

Skin graft came last Thursday. Stole some skin from my upper hip. I never notice that site unless I have to scratch. New world of pain on my knee though, and the first few days were pretty shitty, even with oxy every 6 hours. I am already off the hard stuff though, and ibuprofen seems to be doing its job. I'm in a pretty robust immobilizer with only 10 degrees of flex in my knee, so it's a pain to get around. Still sucks to sit in a chair, even with my foot propped up. Lying on my back is the only comfortable position.

I'll see what my doc says on Friday. I'm hoping the graft is taking well, though I think it'll be a few more weeks before I can get some real range of motion back.

Insurance took the bike, picked it up on Monday. I was just sick of dealing with them. Very little service after a crash. I plan to send a polite nastygram about it after I get my check. I doubt anything of value will come from it, but I think it will at least be cathartic.

2019 Honda Monkey ABS
Unread
  (#24)
no one's blowing up moons

July 19, 2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Been a while since my last update. My doctor's office was able to pull some strings and work with my insurance company to get an MRI done on the 8th. No surgery needed, but I do have a "full thickness tear of the medial retinaculum from the patellar insertion" whatever that means. Google says it'll heal on its own without surgery.

Skin graft came last Thursday. Stole some skin from my upper hip. I never notice that site unless I have to scratch. New world of pain on my knee though, and the first few days were pretty shitty, even with oxy every 6 hours. I am already off the hard stuff though, and ibuprofen seems to be doing its job. I'm in a pretty robust immobilizer with only 10 degrees of flex in my knee, so it's a pain to get around. Still sucks to sit in a chair, even with my foot propped up. Lying on my back is the only comfortable position.

I'll see what my doc says on Friday. I'm hoping the graft is taking well, though I think it'll be a few more weeks before I can get some real range of motion back.

Insurance took the bike, picked it up on Monday. I was just sick of dealing with them. Very little service after a crash. I plan to send a polite nastygram about it after I get my check. I doubt anything of value will come from it, but I think it will at least be cathartic.
Had to be there for a few months. I got one of those prop up boards for the laptop, parked it next to the bed and spent a lot of time with movies, etc. Even just as background noise. Something else to focus on while doing the 'at-home' PT exercises.

Good luck.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#25)
Railing!

July 19, 2019, 04:08 PM

Saw my doctor today who took the stitches out. The graft was purple-ish which he said was normal and alive. Black would have been bad and dead. Did a small range of motion test which allowed me to bump my immobilizer up to 30 degrees of range. Still not good enough to comfortably sit at my desk, but it's good for a recliner. May try sleeping in my bed again tonight. Will try to shower for the first time in 10 days tomorrow.

I can walk/hobble a bit which is good, but I'm far from mobile. No internal knee pain. Next visit is in 2 weeks at which point we'll see if I'm flexible enough to drive. He said it could be 3 months before I'm running, but I'm hoping to be good in September when the weather cools off for better riding.

2019 Honda Monkey ABS
Unread
  (#26)
no one's blowing up moons

July 19, 2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Saw my doctor today who took the stitches out. The graft was purple-ish which he said was normal and alive. Black would have been bad and dead. Did a small range of motion test which allowed me to bump my immobilizer up to 30 degrees of range. Still not good enough to comfortably sit at my desk, but it's good for a recliner. May try sleeping in my bed again tonight. Will try to shower for the first time in 10 days tomorrow.

I can walk/hobble a bit which is good, but I'm far from mobile. No internal knee pain. Next visit is in 2 weeks at which point we'll see if I'm flexible enough to drive. He said it could be 3 months before I'm running, but I'm hoping to be good in September when the weather cools off for better riding.
I picked up some Tegaderm dressing. I put some Neosporin on the 18" long incision line, covered that with a line of gauze and covered the whole thing with the film. That stuff ain't cheap so I cut it into strips wide enough to cover what needed cover and overlapped the edges about 1/4".

It kept the wound dry very well while I scrubbed the five weeks of hospital off of me and afterwards it peeled off without a problem. Slowly, carefully didn't disturb the wound at all.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/