DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 507
2 members and 505 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#31)
no one's blowing up moons

July 29, 2019, 01:52 PM

Do you have the receipts for the mods/gear? The ones I still had turned out to be a big help after the hit. Now I chuck 'em all into a file folder.

The helmet cam was still the best investment since it made it open-and-shut that it was 100% his fault. The speeding and the it came out of nowhere didn't play at all in court.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#32)
Knee Draggin!

July 29, 2019, 03:27 PM

Technically yes, though my gripe wasn't how they valued my accessories - it was the base price of the bike. They went straight to the ACV in the NADA book which doesn't not appear to be a number founded in reality.

As I was typing this up, I got a call from the claims manager who adjusted things to account for market value of $4500 and $500 for accessories. I'm pretty pleased about that. It sounded like my push back on the initial offer should have been escalated in the first place, but it wasn't. FWIW, the guy also sounded like he actually cared, so that counts for something in my book, so I'll stick with them.

I've considered a helmet cam, but I'm not sure I'd be disciplined enough to keep it charged, turn it on, clear the sd card, etc. to use it. In this case it seemed pretty clear cut that I hit something in the road that shouldn't have been there and there wasn't anything I could do. That made it into the police report without much explanation needed from me, so fortunately that wasn't a battle I had to fight.

2010 Triumph Street Triple R
2008 Triumph Street Triple (track)
2018 Triumph Bobber Black
2019 Honda Monkey ABS
Unread
  (#33)
Triumph-ant

July 29, 2019, 06:26 PM

Great to read about the bump in evaluation!

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#34)
whoa preppy......

July 30, 2019, 07:01 AM

that's good news. Back in 2011 I crashed (and totalled) a cherry 1993 Ducati 900 SS/SP. Value on that bike went as high as $4500 and as low as $500. I fought with progressive on replacement value. I had paid $4500 for it. The initial offer was $2000. My case was escalated and I ended up getting $5500 for it. The guy pointed out I had an after market seat and exhaust (which both came on the bike when I bought it) and he gave me retail replacement costs for both.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#35)
Knee Draggin!

July 30, 2019, 07:53 AM

That's about what happened with me. I paid $4500 for the Bonnie back on Memorial Day weekend of 2016. Yeah, I put a bit of money into it like any bike (tires, couple hundred in upgrades) as well 7000 miles. I was surprised at the bump being as large as it was. I think $4000 or a touch higher would have been fair, though I still would not be able to replicate the bike for that cost. I suppose it's more evidence to always reject an insurance company's first offer.

I showered yesterday and was experimenting with how flexible my knee is. I have decent (normal) flexibility up to around where the brace would normally limit me, but at that point, the graft's skin begins to stretch and tighten up. I suppose this is where PT will come in to stretch it further. I can also tell that the inside of my knee is very unstable, though I am able to walk okay with the brace. My guess is that this is the "focal full-thickness tearing of the medial retinaculum from the patellar insertion" rearing its head. It will be interesting to see what PT is like and how long it'll be before I can ride again. I hope to be on a bike by labor day, but ultimately I'd just be satisfied with enjoying some of the nicer days later in September. At this point just getting out of the house in the oppressive heat and humidity is a joy.

2019 Honda Monkey ABS
Unread
  (#36)

August 1, 2019, 10:53 AM

PM incoming

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#37)
Knee Draggin!

August 7, 2019, 11:27 AM

My doctor visit last Friday went well. He said things are still healing and i'm making progress. He gave me the go ahead to drive, and I'll be going back to work tomorrow.

My knee is still very unstable, and I can visually see how much muscle mass I have lost in my right quadricep. It now jiggles like an old lady's arm where it was usually pretty solid. I'm walking without crutches for the most part now, but I look like Quasimodo.

As I was exchanging a propane tank at the store today, I chatted with the clerk about my injury and how the accident happened. He asked if I was going to get a lawyer. It's not something I'd really thought about before. I'm not really a litigious person, nor would I really be interested in ruining some guy's life with a lawsuit. That said, this would likely be against the company in charge of traffic control or the construction company itself, not an individual. Accidents happen, but I wonder if this is worth pursuing. I do have insurance, but even with insurance I'm going to be out a few thousand bucks in cash, not to mention a pretty expensive watch. Saul?

2019 Honda Monkey ABS
Unread
  (#38)

August 7, 2019, 03:04 PM

I'm glad to hear the medical is going well.

Watch the bone/tendon stuff, you don't want to add any damage. Ask at pt, this is where that good communication makes the difference. Getting that muscle back is going to be a pita and I can't testify to what someone can re-gain since I'm still working on it every damn day.

I'm not litigious either so it's a hard call. I hate to support that kind of lawyer but sometimes . . . .

Just remember -

Your insurance isn't in the business of paying out so if you're getting 'denial of claim' letters you may need professional help.
The DOJ has an entire division that does nothing but 'bad faith' cases, that's what they call cases against insurance companies. That they have a whole division just for that tells you most of what you need to know about insurance companies.

Oh, and about 'personal injury attorneys'. You don't have a lawyer, they have a case. Doesn't matter who you hire. If it's not for big bucks from deep pockets they'll go through the motions. It may get you something more but they'll take 'theirs' first. They might even tell you what a favor they're doing for you if they cut their fee so that they're not taking more than you end up with.

I get the thing about not wanting to ruin someone's life. A couple of years too late I realized that someone ruined my life and I'm not the one that did something wrong or careless. I'm paying for their fuck up and that ain't right at all.

It's a hard call. You already have a lot of shit to deal with. It's a judgement call about whether or not having a lawyer will raise or lower that level.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Last edited by lam@dcsf; August 7, 2019 at 03:15 PM..
Unread
  (#39)
Knee Draggin!

August 7, 2019, 04:25 PM

I know that insurance isn't in the business to make your life better, just take the edge off. I found that to be true with my bike insurance, at least until I really pressed them.

Health insurance generally sucks. I have a good white collar job, but I haven't had "good" insurance for years. Thankfully my short term disability insurance has taken care of the bigger pain of being out of work for 6 weeks.

I suppose my goal here would be to recoup my out of pocket expenses that I wouldn't have had otherwise, and perhaps keep them from possibly being negligent about where the barrels go when they're not in use. I don't fancy getting back on a bike only to have another accident like this!

2019 Honda Monkey ABS
Unread
  (#40)

August 8, 2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
I know that insurance isn't in the business to make your life better, just take the edge off. I found that to be true with my bike insurance, at least until I really pressed them.

Health insurance generally sucks. I have a good white collar job, but I haven't had "good" insurance for years. Thankfully my short term disability insurance has taken care of the bigger pain of being out of work for 6 weeks.

I suppose my goal here would be to recoup my out of pocket expenses that I wouldn't have had otherwise, and perhaps keep them from possibly being negligent about where the barrels go when they're not in use. I don't fancy getting back on a bike only to have another accident like this!
Absolutely, I can understand your points and your goals. Just saying these are people that get paid to make you feel like they're on your side and working for your best interests. Keep in mind that the chances of that being true are smaller than of you winning the big one on the lottery.

If you make the decision to get involved with these people you'll need to look out for yourself. No matter what they tell you, none of them will.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3