DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
1 members and 546 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

November 9, 2004, 03:22 PM

Last night leaving work I managed to crash my bike doing no more than 5 mph. I was pulling out onto Alban in between a break in traffic. Started turning the bike to merge into my lane, far side of the road, when suddenly my bike does a 180 and I’m on the ground. Had my gear on and suffered only a small scrape on my left knee. The bike is another story. I picked up the bike and moved it back to the parking lot I pulled out of. Total damage is as follows:
Left handle bar snapped off
Clutch lever broke and bent
Left fairing is cracked, in several places
Windscreen is cracked
Windscreen bracket is bent
Left mirror shattered
And my generator cover is cracked
I didn’t know a wreck at such a low speed could break so much $hit on a bike.

I don’t have pics yet, but will have them posted soon.

Paul

“Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.”
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to yzf600r Send a message via AIM to yzf600r  
Unread
  (#2)
BE ENCOURAGED!

November 9, 2004, 03:27 PM

Holy Crap Paul!!!! Sorry to hear about this. That damage is kinda intense. It does seem like the slow speed wrecks can do some major damage. But 5 MPH?? WOW.

Hope you get back on the road soon.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#3)
DT
Yesssssss.....

November 9, 2004, 03:29 PM

Sorry to hear that Paul!!! That sucks bro - let me know if you need anything.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

November 9, 2004, 03:30 PM

Sorry to hear about that but I am glad your ok.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JAGULE  
Unread
  (#5)
Groundhogs can play dead

November 9, 2004, 03:33 PM

what do you think happened? wet leaves? cold tires?
that sucks, dude!

sorry about your bike, but I'm glad you're ok and no idiots ran you over while you were down!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

November 9, 2004, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
what do you think happened? wet leaves? cold tires?
that sucks, dude!

sorry about your bike, but I'm glad you're ok and no idiots ran you over while you were down!
My guess is a combination of cold tires, have Dunlop D08, and what my brother calls "Slick Pavement." He said that sometimes there are slick spots in the pavement, you can't see any difference. Whether that is true or not, I don't know.
As for other drivers, everyone stopped, exited their vehicles and asked if I was ok. It was actully kind of nice to see peopl do still care even when the news is portraying sportbike riders to be squids.

Paul

“Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.”
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to yzf600r Send a message via AIM to yzf600r  
Unread
  (#7)
True Riyduh

November 9, 2004, 03:52 PM

Wow, 180 degrees when goin' only 5mph? Hard to wrap my brain around it, but... Sorry to hear this, man... Glad YOU are okay, though! (This has such new meaning to me now!)

Weird how you seem to have sustained more damage than me, and I was goin' about 15-20 around a curve...

Glad you're safe!

I have........ no bike.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to P-Luva Send a message via AIM to P-Luva Send a message via MSN to P-Luva  
Unread
  (#8)
Lurker

Premier Member since: December 31, 1969
November 9, 2004, 04:18 PM

Sorry to hear about that Paul. Glad that you are ok though, so come out to TWT and let me buy you a drink.

-Long
2004 YZF-R1 red
2002 YZF-R6 blue
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

November 9, 2004, 04:29 PM

Sorry to hear you crashed but at least you're ok. Good to hear it was low speed and you were not hurt.

-Chris

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Mr. Glass

November 9, 2004, 04:50 PM

sorry to hear bout your spill... glad that you made it out okay.. the bike can be fixed..

be careful out there people.. this is the time of season where most spills happen..

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

November 9, 2004, 05:28 PM

glad you're okay dude... that's the most imprtant thing...

cold traction is NO JOKE... my last 3 accidents have all been in cold weather and cold traction has, i believe, been the determining factor when someone has pulled out in front of me... i've decided i'd rather put my bike into hibernation a little early this year and still have it for next season than risk any more incidents
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#12)
Fuzz Runna

November 9, 2004, 05:38 PM

sorry to hear about that....

it WAS over-acceleration on cold tires on cold pavement....as you went into the turn (turning into the street or whatever) you went to speed up to get in with the flow of traffic. but since you were still in a "turned" position, when you did, the rear broke loose and spun you around...that is also why so much damage...the bike probably spun a lot on the ground, and since the rear wheel was still running hard it pushed it across the ground some more...

think back on it man...and I promise you in the future, you won't be so quick on the throttle in colder weather when just getting onto the road

hope the bike is back up soon

Sometimes in order to live, you must first be willing to die....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ND4SPD Send a message via AIM to ND4SPD  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

November 9, 2004, 06:01 PM

I bet it was cold tires.

That is one of the reasons why I replaced stock D208s with M1s as soon as possible: stock tires are hard as a rock and never very sticky. M1s are easier to warm up in the cold.
Unread
  (#14)
Loves Sporking

November 9, 2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
I bet it was cold tires.

That is one of the reasons why I replaced stock D208s with M1s as soon as possible: stock tires are hard as a rock and never very sticky. M1s are easier to warm up in the cold.
True, it sounds like it was caused by cold tires, among other factors we can't be sure about. However, I need to clarify this so no one ends up on their ass (as if I can prevent that)... GP tires heat-up QUICKER than street tires.

It's a common misconception that street tires 'heat-up' quicker. FALSE! They're designed to give you MORE traction than GP's when they're cold on cold pavement. Actually, GP's heat-up quicker, but they require a MUCH higher operating temp to give you the traction they're designed to provide. Street tires don't work at those higher temperatures. They feel greasy, and won't grip. Funny thing, right? That's exactly how GP's feel on the street when they're cold.

I just put my M1's back on my bike, for this very reason. Street tires are for the street, and the M1's rock. Most importantly, I'm glad this Paul person is okay, whether he crashed on street tires or GP's, at 5 mph or 50 mph. (5mph? Man, I don't know. You could just about walk that fast.)

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#15)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
November 9, 2004, 09:29 PM

Again always put your gear on you just never know. Glad your fine bro.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.