DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
1 members and 539 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
I guess you can say I went down, but I really wanted to play in the fields.
Unread
  (#1)
Slow Poke

I guess you can say I went down, but I really wanted to play in the fields. - May 29, 2006, 12:17 AM

Alright, time for me to post my little mishap. :-[

I can't really explain how I went down. Yes, I can.
Ok, so I'm on a ride with 3 other guys, somewhere in PA. It was the beginning of the ride. It was a left turn then a right as soon as you get out of it. The left turn I was a little shakey but I made it, right turn, I freaked out. Took it wide, and straighten her back up, braked, and there was green grass and I wanted to play in it instead of riding. So I go over the road, and roll straight into the field of grass. As soon as I hit the grass, I fell over. I'm not hurt of anything. Just a few scratches from the grass.

So lesson here for myself is:
-Follow through with the turn
-Look where you want to go
-Don't freak out
-Take it easy
-Slow down
-And stay out of the grass

Its basically my stupidity. So I wouldn't really call it a wreck. Just a fall into the green grass, which did a little damage. Scuff marks on fairings and broken turn signals which I was already going to replace on Tuesday.

Oh well, I lived and learned. And I'm glad it wasn't that bad.
Every rider is bound to go down, so here was my 1st.

Don't worry I didn't cry about it. I just kicked myself.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I don't wanna be your b*tch. Say no to 2up!

RIDE THIS!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Lurking

May 29, 2006, 12:49 AM

Besides the mishap in the turn. You should make sure you can keep control on grass in case of an emergency requiring you to drive on a soft shoulder. I've learned that grass isn't so bad as long as you keep control, don't freak out and don't jump on the brakes. My old bike died on me on a busy rural road with no shoulder just a small ditch with several cars behind me. I slowed down and eased over into the ditch and rolled to a stop without losing control. It was while pushing it to the gas station that I lot balance, dropped the bike and broke the mirror off. So look on the bright side, it could have been a lot worse. Now you have a reason to put on those new turn signals.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

May 29, 2006, 01:11 AM

glad to hear ur ok. damage doesnt look too bad either. target fixation perhaps? grass sucks. chit happens. I dunno if i do it right, but i find if i need to hit the brake in a turn, i use the rear only. When i hit the front brakes in a turn it always stand me up.

i dont care
  Send a message via AIM to  
Trail Braking
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

Trail Braking - May 29, 2006, 02:08 AM

Glad you are ok.
Sounds like you've already picked up the lessons learned.

If you were concerned about carrying too much speed into the turn (the 2nd one), you may want to work on trail braking. Trail braking (in a road application) as opposed to 'regular' braking will not stand up your bike and allow you to scrub speed in a hurry. Sounds like your braking stood you up and therefore you ran out of corner to turn and hit the grass (?).

I am still working on this skill but have found it to be real smooth when it does work. I only use my rear when trail braking, those with more experience may tell you what works best.

This piece might give you some insight:

gl

---------------------------------

Riding Skills Series: Trail Braking

There are times when trail braking can help you out of a tricky situation.

By Andrew Trevitt
Photography: Frank Hoppen

1 Under most riding conditions it's safest to avoid using the front brake when your bike is leaned over. But there are times when trail braking-staying on the brakes while entering a corner-can help you get out of a tricky situation. Ordinarily, in a street scenario, you would brake while the bike is vertical, let off the brakes, and only then arc into a bend. This avoids forcing you to balance braking and turning traction with the front tire, as the two are kept separate and independent. By far the most common situaton where you would be forced to trail brake into a turn occurs when you enter it with too much speed, or the corner tightens up unexpectedly. In either situation, to avoid running out of road you have to scrub off speed in a hurry, while still leaned over.

2 On a clean, dry road that you are familiar with (or better yet, the racetrack), experiment with leaving the brakes lightly applied as you turn into a corner, and gradually releasing them as you arc in. For a start, use only light braking at moderate lean angles until you have a good feel for how your bike reacts to turning while braking. Be wary of the front end wanting to tuck, which means a lowside is imminent. Maintaining conservative speeds and lean angles, experiment with using more braking force at moderate lean angles, and then more lean angle with light braking force.

3 As you get comfortable with a variety of combinations of lean angle and braking force, you will find the inverse relationship between the two-in other words, with more lean angle you must use less front brake and vice versa. Ideally, you want to know exactly how much front brake you can apply for a given lean angle, and how far you can lean your bike for a given brake pressure. Once you are familiar with this relationship, concentrate on smoothly releasing the brakes as you lean into a turn, balancing the braking and turning forces so that your bike's front end doesn't dive or lift noticeably during that transition.

4 For racers, using maximum braking at maximum lean angle is paramount to outbraking your rivals and cutting a good lap time. For street riders, knowing the limits is just as important, but for different reasons. If you know exactly what you and your bike are capable of, you will be better prepared to make that blind turn, or miss that rock in the middle of the road. Another advantage of trail braking is that, because using the front brake steepens a bike's geometry (on bikes with telescopic forks, that is) and puts more weight on the front tire, your bike will steer quicker with a bit of brake applied. Once this skill becomes second nature, you may find that you can alter your bike's setup to take this into account, and benefit in other areas accordingly.

This story originally appeared in the June, 2003, issue of Sport Rider
Unread
  (#5)
Diddle e i

May 29, 2006, 03:07 AM

Glad to hear you're ok Sarma!
I nearly had a head on last year by panicking and standing the bike up. I went over uneven pavement while turning. It unsettled the bike a bit, I freaked, hit the brake, stood bike up and went over double yellows. I still feel a slight bit of panic on some corners but try to let it go, refocus on where I want to go and stay loose.

This may be one of those things bikers have to learn through experience...

~ John ~

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, and the lesson afterwards

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...14/1_honda.jpg

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Mocaba Send a message via Yahoo to Mocaba Send a message via AIM to Mocaba Send a message via MSN to Mocaba Send a message via Skype™ to Mocaba 
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

May 29, 2006, 05:38 AM

ok, the Riding skills info was what I was going to recommend. Now, as long as you're ok, you got you "let off" out of the way. You are now a rider. Congrats!!!

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#7)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

May 29, 2006, 06:28 AM

sorry to hear Sarma, Glad your ok
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#8)
BE ENCOURAGED!

May 29, 2006, 07:19 AM

Nice info Dutch

Glad you weren't hurt Sarma. That's the important thing. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, so that others may learn from it!

Now your bike has a little character

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#9)
is terrified of clowns

May 29, 2006, 07:46 AM

same thing happened to me about a month ago. i think if i would have had the dirt tires on the ninja i would have been OK in the grass. glad your ok and the bike doesnt look that bad. im sure to you it looks horrible (i thought mine did when i got a 2'' scratch on the bottem of the fairing).

'bad news, its open season on chumps, and i just got my permit'

The Graveyard
-2001 ZX6R: SOLD
The Garage
-2002 F4i streetfighter: it wins shit
-2007 REPSOL: pure giggity
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to saki-bomb  
Unread
  (#10)
Jake's Mom

May 29, 2006, 07:47 AM

awwww Sarma I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm glad that you are ok and that the damage is minor.

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

May 29, 2006, 08:02 AM

Glad to hear you're ok Sarma!

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#12)
Slow Poke

May 29, 2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchR6
Glad you are ok.
Sounds like you've already picked up the lessons learned.

If you were concerned about carrying too much speed into the turn (the 2nd one), you may want to work on trail braking. Trail braking (in a road application) as opposed to 'regular' braking will not stand up your bike and allow you to scrub speed in a hurry. Sounds like your braking stood you up and therefore you ran out of corner to turn and hit the grass (?).

I am still working on this skill but have found it to be real smooth when it does work. I only use my rear when trail braking, those with more experience may tell you what works best.

This piece might give you some insight:

gl

---------------------------------

Riding Skills Series: Trail Braking

There are times when trail braking can help you out of a tricky situation.

By Andrew Trevitt
Photography: Frank Hoppen

1 Under most riding conditions it's safest to avoid using the front brake when your bike is leaned over. But there are times when trail braking-staying on the brakes while entering a corner-can help you get out of a tricky situation. Ordinarily, in a street scenario, you would brake while the bike is vertical, let off the brakes, and only then arc into a bend. This avoids forcing you to balance braking and turning traction with the front tire, as the two are kept separate and independent. By far the most common situaton where you would be forced to trail brake into a turn occurs when you enter it with too much speed, or the corner tightens up unexpectedly. In either situation, to avoid running out of road you have to scrub off speed in a hurry, while still leaned over.

2 On a clean, dry road that you are familiar with (or better yet, the racetrack), experiment with leaving the brakes lightly applied as you turn into a corner, and gradually releasing them as you arc in. For a start, use only light braking at moderate lean angles until you have a good feel for how your bike reacts to turning while braking. Be wary of the front end wanting to tuck, which means a lowside is imminent. Maintaining conservative speeds and lean angles, experiment with using more braking force at moderate lean angles, and then more lean angle with light braking force.

3 As you get comfortable with a variety of combinations of lean angle and braking force, you will find the inverse relationship between the two-in other words, with more lean angle you must use less front brake and vice versa. Ideally, you want to know exactly how much front brake you can apply for a given lean angle, and how far you can lean your bike for a given brake pressure. Once you are familiar with this relationship, concentrate on smoothly releasing the brakes as you lean into a turn, balancing the braking and turning forces so that your bike's front end doesn't dive or lift noticeably during that transition.

4 For racers, using maximum braking at maximum lean angle is paramount to outbraking your rivals and cutting a good lap time. For street riders, knowing the limits is just as important, but for different reasons. If you know exactly what you and your bike are capable of, you will be better prepared to make that blind turn, or miss that rock in the middle of the road. Another advantage of trail braking is that, because using the front brake steepens a bike's geometry (on bikes with telescopic forks, that is) and puts more weight on the front tire, your bike will steer quicker with a bit of brake applied. Once this skill becomes second nature, you may find that you can alter your bike's setup to take this into account, and benefit in other areas accordingly.

This story originally appeared in the June, 2003, issue of Sport Rider

hmmm....
maybe i'll work this through with someone. not in pa though. i guess i'll be in va again.

RIDE THIS!
Unread
  (#13)
rushin' the waves

May 29, 2006, 10:39 AM

Glad you are safe!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../TinyTWAT2.jpg

'03 600rr Track and Street (SOLD)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mybabyninja82  
Unread
  (#14)
What's today? aah fuck it

May 29, 2006, 12:12 PM

ma bad for not callin, my phone is still fucked up.

but hey, we match....again! I went down a few hrs ago on T1 @ VIR
Unread
  (#15)
Slow Poke

May 29, 2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackat
ma bad for not callin, my phone is still fucked up.

but hey, we match....again! I went down a few hrs ago on T1 @ VIR
i think we have to match like always. i heart you still. ill ride you bitch tomorrow when i come down. muah! ill tty tonight.

RIDE THIS!