DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
2 members and 557 guests
Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
I wrecked...
Unread
  (#1)
she's no penguin...

I wrecked... - August 31, 2007, 11:23 PM

Well, I was thinking about buying a new bike anyway I guess.
Here's how it happened. I was riding in Sterling on Cascades Pkwy, coming up to make a left at the intersection at Palisades. The intersection has two dedicated left turn lanes and as I was approaching there were no cars in my lane (the leftmost) and two cars in the right-side left turn lane. The green arrows came on well before I got to them and the first car in the other lane turned left as expected. I started to speed up a little to make the light and then the second car in the other lane started to go (I thought they hesitated because they didn't notice that the light had changed.) They had actually hesitated because they decided that they wanted to make a U-turn from the right-side left turn lane. (This intersection is no U-turn anyway, even if they had been in the inner turn lane).

So essentially, they cut sharp across my lane just as I entered the intersection. I slammed into their car just behind their left front wheel, flew over the handlebars and over their hood, and landed on forearems and smacked my head on the street.

I remember thinking for the split second in the air "shit, this is going to hurt." I was amazed when my head hit the ground that it just felt like someone half-punched me. Thank you Arai!! I actually thought to myself "wow, that didn't really hurt". Besides a "kicked in the balls" feeling in my stomach for about an hour, I'm completely fine.

Both forks on the bike are bent backwards, the front tire is pushed back into the radiator, I think the rim is shot, and of course plastic rash. I'm actually lucky I flew off because the bike ended up on its left side with the left footpeg completely ripped off.
I'm pretty sure the helmet is still fine and I know the jacket / gloves are ok. Anyone know if I can claim a new helmet though? They're supposed to be good for only one shot right? Even if Arai calls this one good, I'd still like another if I can get it. Also, I think the bike is worth around $2400 total and the forks are bent. Think they'll just total it out?
On the plus side, the girl that caused the accident is pretty cute, and now I have her number and she owes me
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
1/4 liter Duc eater

August 31, 2007, 11:35 PM

Bike's totalled dude! You need a new helmet and you should insist on one. Don't waver for a second if they suggest inspection by the mfg. Glad you're okay.
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

August 31, 2007, 11:37 PM

wow, there are some complete idiots that drive around here
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to smallfry  
Unread
  (#4)
Now Riding Red

August 31, 2007, 11:43 PM

Wow! Congrats on not splatting into some immovable object.
Like OneWill said.. helmet is toast. Thats what insurance (theirs) is for right?
Glad to hear your not hurt.

‎"Death walks beside every man, but only the mercenary turns and waves."

Troye-ame-Ven, Writer, Philosopher, Mortal

M

Last edited by j-skid; August 31, 2007 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: grammar genius
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

September 1, 2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlp
Well, I was thinking about buying a new bike anyway I guess.
Here's how it happened. I was riding in Sterling on Cascades Pkwy, coming up to make a left at the intersection at Palisades. The intersection has two dedicated left turn lanes and as I was approaching there were no cars in my lane (the leftmost) and two cars in the right-side left turn lane. The green arrows came on well before I got to them and the first car in the other lane turned left as expected. I started to speed up a little to make the light and then the second car in the other lane started to go (I thought they hesitated because they didn't notice that the light had changed.) They had actually hesitated because they decided that they wanted to make a U-turn from the right-side left turn lane. (This intersection is no U-turn anyway, even if they had been in the inner turn lane).

So essentially, they cut sharp across my lane just as I entered the intersection. I slammed into their car just behind their left front wheel, flew over the handlebars and over their hood, and landed on forearems and smacked my head on the street.

I remember thinking for the split second in the air "shit, this is going to hurt." I was amazed when my head hit the ground that it just felt like someone half-punched me. Thank you Arai!! I actually thought to myself "wow, that didn't really hurt". Besides a "kicked in the balls" feeling in my stomach for about an hour, I'm completely fine.

Both forks on the bike are bent backwards, the front tire is pushed back into the radiator, I think the rim is shot, and of course plastic rash. I'm actually lucky I flew off because the bike ended up on its left side with the left footpeg completely ripped off.
I'm pretty sure the helmet is still fine and I know the jacket / gloves are ok. Anyone know if I can claim a new helmet though? They're supposed to be good for only one shot right? Even if Arai calls this one good, I'd still like another if I can get it. Also, I think the bike is worth around $2400 total and the forks are bent. Think they'll just total it out?
On the plus side, the girl that caused the accident is pretty cute, and now I have her number and she owes me

You can have it checked. They are not neccessaarily reusable after a crash. The drivers insurance should pay to replace all of you gear.
Unread
  (#6)
Still here

September 1, 2007, 08:00 AM

So glad you're OK! Sorry about the bike, but like you already know...ins!

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#7)
What's today? aah fuck it

September 1, 2007, 08:29 AM

So now that you are ok...

First, CLAIM EVERYTHING. Look at all ur gear...if anything has a scratch on it (from the accident or not) claim that shit!! U better have them write that off as a toatled vehicle and collect the check to get a better bike. U can probably get blue book value for that bandit...and put it towards a newer/better bike.

Second... cute girl, owes you, got her phone number...i like the way u think.
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

September 1, 2007, 08:47 AM

Good to hear you're ok...don't even bother with the helmet, they are designed to sustain one crash so claim everything as others said.

Good luck!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

September 1, 2007, 09:22 AM

Jesus dude. There's a website called Match.com. Waaaay easier.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

September 1, 2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
Good to hear you're ok...don't even bother with the helmet, they are designed to sustain one crash so claim everything as others said.

Good luck!

Glad you are not hurt too bad. That's the most important thing.

Helmet is gone: get all you can outta this. Girl maybe cute, but she could have KILLED YOU or paralyzed you from the neck down. You have to stick up for yourself and get a brand new helmet and everything else you are due. And you're gonna have to work for it, given the nature of insurance companies.

Watch that cute girl shit too. They think a wink and a smile will get them whatever they want. A protected head (the one with the brain in it) is more useful than a cute girl's phone number. Again I remind you: her negligence, selfishness, and inward focus almost killed you, dude. I wish you the best.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#11)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 1, 2007, 09:35 AM

i smashed my head into the ground at 60-70mph at VIR South, sent the helmet in for inspection and it came back fine

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

September 1, 2007, 02:43 PM

did she get a ticket or anything, the cops shoulda been called. also she should have gotten 2 different tickets one for improper lane change and another for an illegal u turn.(i dont know what the actual ticket is called for trying to make a u turn from the right hand lane) just be careful and use your head, for things other than stopping your fall. get her insurance to pay for EVERYTHING and if they refuse hire a lawyer and seek damages. did you go to a hospital? you get 3x what your hospital bill was in restitution and the ambulance bill is at least $500, so you could have a new bike all paid for by the end of this.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Thanks for the advice!
Unread
  (#13)
she's no penguin...

Thanks for the advice! - September 1, 2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the repiles; I will claim the helmet and a rip in my jacket that I think was already there Also, I don't think the girl was trying to get away with anything. She was crying and kept asking me if I was ok. I was just dazed, the ambulance and cops showed up and released me with the ok and her insurance info. The adjuster will be out on Tuesday to give me an estimate.
Unread
  (#14)
Got my Permit

September 6, 2007, 09:03 AM

Dtlp,
Man I live off of potomac view and I deliver mail in the algonkian/ cascades area. I know what you are talking about. People treat that whole area like there own personal raceway. Lots of hidden corners. Two pedestrians have already died on algonkian. Just glad you are ok.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

September 6, 2007, 09:10 AM

glad you're ok

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico