DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 197
1 members and 196 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
I've joined the club
Unread
  (#1)
Pedal faster

I've joined the club - August 17, 2013, 04:46 PM

Well, hell. Went down today during an otherwise awesome ride. Took a leisurely trip out to Purcellville and kept going, decided to head down Snickersville for a bit. You know that tight switchback about a 1/4 mile from Route 7? Yeah, I know it REALLY well now too. Came in nice and easy, was coming out the other side went everything went south. I was wide but thought I had it, about two feet from the guardrail on my right when my front tire decided to leave the scene. (Closer inspection shows that I ran over a patch of dried horsesh!t in the road, the ultimate irony for someone who has ridden horses most of her life.)

I'm not sure exactly what happened … I lowsided, it looks like the front tire caught the guardrail and spun the bike around, sending me sailing. I rolled into the middle of the road and look back to the see the bike lying on its side facing back up the hill. Wow, was I pissed. Damage so far appears to be left foot peg/bracket and the front tire - sliced it open on the guardrail - plus some cosmetic damage, and we'll know what else once RnR gives it a closer look.

My gear totally did its job. Took the impact on my left shoulder and the left side of my head, broke the face shield and have some nice gouges in the helmet now. I have a wicked headache and I hurt, but it could have been much, much worse.

HUGE thanks to Ali from RnR, who came with a trailer as soon as I called for help. During the Ride of Shame back to the shop (with my banged up bike on the trailer behind us), I saw so many people out for a ride on a nice day in a t-shirt and shorts. Wear your gear, people!!! It takes a few extra seconds to get dressed and it's so worth it.

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Sick!!!

August 17, 2013, 05:10 PM

Glad you're okay. Always could have been worse. Say yes to gear!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to The Bogert  
I've joined the club
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

I've joined the club - August 17, 2013, 05:18 PM

Gear won't save your life, but it will save you a lot of pain and skin. Good to hear you're ok.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

August 17, 2013, 06:09 PM

Oh man... that totally sucks. Glad you're OK!

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#5)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

August 17, 2013, 06:20 PM

I have a wicked headache and I hurt, but it could have been much, much worse.

Did you get checked out? A wicked headache could be something more.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#6)
Pedal faster

August 17, 2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
I have a wicked headache and I hurt, but it could have been much, much worse.

Did you get checked out? A wicked headache could be something more.
No... I know my helmet took some of the impact, but even if I have a mild concussion, there's not much that can be done. I've had them before (see: horses) and know to just take it easy. If the headache is still with me in the morning I'll hit up an urgent care. More than anything, I feel stupid and irritated - need to figure out where I went wrong to avoid doing this again.

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold
Unread
  (#7)
Good Intentions

August 17, 2013, 07:19 PM

Glad you are OK.

'99 Honda CBR1100 xx - sold
2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650 - sold.
2008 Yamaha FZ1 -sold
2012 Harley Davidson VROD Muscle-sold
2012 Ducati Diavel Dark I ride to work.
Unread
  (#8)
Groping is a skill...

August 17, 2013, 07:24 PM

Man good thing you were fully geared up.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
> 6'3" need not apply!

August 17, 2013, 07:48 PM

Welcome to the club??? Glad you're okay girlie!

Remember, you could have just bought the new helmet. All that wasn't necessary!!

Get to the doctor!

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#10)
Signed up for Track Days!

August 17, 2013, 08:29 PM

Glad you're okay. I've been bitten by that switchback as well, also on a 2006 Ninja 250 (the bike in your signature, I assume you were on that). Maybe that road really doesn't like our bike?

I went up the switchback just fine, but on the way back down I thought I had it but the guardrail sucked me in like it has a tractor beam on it. I hit it at around 5mph and it crunched my upper cowling and smashed my right mirror. I had motorcycle pants (leather) and motorcycle boots on which probably prevented a little bit of pain.

I have a neighbor that slid on the same turn on his FZ6, not sure what happened.
Unread
  (#11)
#1 white rain supplier

August 18, 2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotomy View Post
Glad you're okay. I've been bitten by that switchback as well, also on a 2006 Ninja 250 (the bike in your signature, I assume you were on that). Maybe that road really doesn't like our bike?

I went up the switchback just fine, but on the way back down I thought I had it but the guardrail sucked me in like it has a tractor beam on it. I hit it at around 5mph and it crunched my upper cowling and smashed my right mirror. I had motorcycle pants (leather) and motorcycle boots on which probably prevented a little bit of pain.

I have a neighbor that slid on the same turn on his FZ6, not sure what happened.
Glad ur ok op

...any pics of this infamous curve
Unread
  (#12)
GDMFSOB

August 18, 2013, 07:23 AM

Ouch! Glad you are up and kicking! Even if you are kicking yourself in the ass That curve gets a lot of people. Experienced or not. I picked up Toecutter there a couple years ago and it almost got me last year. Coming from 7 the road drops off camber towards the Armco. Be thankful a horse trailer wasn't coming up at the same time!
If you still have a headache today, please go to the ER. Take your helmet with you. If you are good, then have one welcome to the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zx6rrection View Post
Glad ur ok op

Look just north of here
http://goo.gl/maps/vneJh

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

August 18, 2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish730 View Post
need to figure out where I went wrong to avoid doing this again.
Good on you for wanting to analyze and improve!

Let's do this.

From your own statement, you failed to negotiate a curve because you ran wide.

Remember what your RiderCoaches taught you: SLPR

Slow: Both brakes to slow to proper entry speed. Sounds like you felt you had achieved that.

Look: Turn your head to look all the way through your path of travel, not just through the turn. Where are you looking? Does your destination change as you're coming through the turn? Your "look point" is dynamic. To me, sounds like you looked right at the guardrail as you were exiting the turn.

Press: Press in the direction of your turn. You went in the direction you intended so you did press. Just maybe not quite enough.

Roll: Roll on the throttle. Did you do a nice steady throttle or maybe a smooth steady roll on? Did you roll off the throttle when you thought you were going wide? If so, what did that do to the bike and your path of travel?

So of these components, which do you think was the most grievous mistake you made and what will you do to improve on it for next time?

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#14)
Signed up for Track Days!

August 18, 2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zx6rrection View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
So of these components, which do you think was the most grievous mistake you made and what will you do to improve on it for next time?
For me, I was doing well looking through the turn until I looked at the guard rail, from then on it was classic target fixation. The hairpin is so sharp it's pretty much a u-turn, but also one with a steep slope from side to side.
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

August 18, 2013, 10:48 AM

Glad to hear your ok. I droped my 1198 there. Follwing a buddy with 20+ years of experience who saved his bike while taking the turn too slow. I followed him in at the same pace but my skills though couldn't keep the bike up. I stupidly stalled and fell over on the inside of the turn.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch