DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 569
2 members and 567 guests
2blueyam, GETFURIOUS
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
You meet the nicest

May 11, 2005, 04:10 PM

My friend Ed Andrews and I were planning to race his ’99 R6 in the F-USA 200 mile race at Summit Point on Memorial Day. So last Monday at VIR I took the bike out in a Cornerspeed race practice group.

Down the back straight an R1 ahead pulled a gap on the R6. I was closing the gap on the brakes when the front tire started to howl and slide. This caused the gap to close more quickly than planned and the front started to tuck under. There was time to release the lever and the bike was coming back, but I had to reapply to avoid ass packing the guy as he prepared to turn in for the uphill right-hander. There was no grip and the bike immediately went down.

I went down hard on my left shoulder and started sliding head first on my stomach off track toward the guardrail. I dragged an arm to steer away from the guardrail. This spun me around so I was sliding feet first, now on the grass but parallel to the track (and guardrail). My main concern at that point was to distribute my weight such that nothing would dig in and cause me to tumble.

Finally I stopped, got up, looked at the big red hole in the palm of my left glove, and took physical inventory. Everything checked OK, all digits and joints functional. I was hot and tired from riding hard, and definitely shook from the drama and trauma of the fall, but I knew my bell wasn’t rung.

I looked around, and damn, I collected the guy on the R1 after all. His bike was down track past the cones. He was closer but across track. I asked if he was OK and he shook his head. I looked at the bike thinking to pick it up and get it away from the track on instinct, even though the red flag was already out. The handle bars were turned one way with the front wheel the other. Fuggetaboutit. What would I do with it once I picked up anyway?

I took my helmet and what was left of my gloves off, then went over again to check on the guy I just took out. It turned out to be a friend of mine, Todd Hutchins. His nickname is Hulk and the description really fits. Later he told me the worst part was he wanted to kill the guy but then I took my helmet off. (I'll be taking care of his bike anyway but it’s a lot easier parting with the money because I like Todd.)

I got my first ambulance ride (not to the hospital) while Todd rode back with the crash truck. It seemed to take forever to get the tar and gravel scrubbed out of my hand. Meanwhile my friends didn’t know my condition and I wanted to tell Ed to take my bike out in the school sessions. As the scrubbing went on the shoulder started to hurt. Oh well, it’s only pain.

So exactly why did I crash? I always try to learn because the tuition is so high.

I wasn’t in too hot. The braking was deep and hard for sure but nothing over my head.

The front tire was the same as on my bike (Diablo Corsa with 4&1/2 track days), and I’m sure this wouldn’t have happened on my bike under the exact same track scenario.

The forks didn’t bottom out. The bike was stable on the brakes (until it started to slide of course).

When I got on the bike the first thing I noticed was the front brake lever rotated up uncomfortably high. I personally like mine as low as I can get it. Ed wasn’t around to discuss a compromise and track time was burning so I just jumped on it and went out.

I like to think I can get on any bike and ride around whatever problems there may be. So I was conscious of it the first few laps, especially going into turn 1. After a few laps my brain had compensated for the different wrist position, but apparently not yet for the greater leverage my hand had on the lever.

There is never a single cause for any crash. It’s always a combination of factors that add up. I still might have braked as hard without having a faster bike in front to chase because I was working up to testing the limits of the bike with an upcoming race in mind. Had there been no bike directly in front I would have easily saved it and gone straight down the escape area, or even made the turn.

With 4 or 5 laps on an alien bike I was starting to get comfortable that the braking was at least equal to my own bike. Coming up on another rider I momentarily forgot to compensate for the strange bike factor and it caught me out.

Am I out of shape? Yes, relatively. Was I tired? A little. These were minor factors in this case but they all add up as contributors. Now I get to start adding up the tuition costs.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
No Touchie!

May 11, 2005, 04:16 PM

Glad you're ok Jim....i hope you didn't get banged up too much. Take care of your body too....you'll recover quicker!

Sam

In search of the perfect lap......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to sam-197  
Unread
  (#3)
Mr. Glass

May 11, 2005, 04:25 PM

glad you are alright jim. You def have controll of the situation. Not many riders can compute all that at the sametime while going down.

glad you can race another day

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#4)
Asleep at the wheel!

May 11, 2005, 04:40 PM

Good to hear you are ok Jim. The write up was excellent. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

'82 Honda CB750 f Supersport
'03 Suzuki SV650s
'05 Yamaha TTR 125 LE
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelHead Send a message via AIM to SquirrelHead Send a message via MSN to SquirrelHead Send a message via Skype™ to SquirrelHead 
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

May 11, 2005, 04:49 PM

Glad to hear you're ok Jim.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#6)
Happiness Consultant

May 11, 2005, 04:56 PM

as stated earlier, Glad your ok Jim. Good post too, you pretty much described the uneasieness I feel whenever Im riding in a tight pack whilst on the track (the ass packing part, good description BTW).

take care and get some rest.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#7)
Has an idiot exemption

May 11, 2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDBLD
(I'll be taking care of his bike anyway but itís a lot easier parting with the money because I like Todd.)
Folks...there aren't too many people that would take care of another rider's bike if they caused that rider to crash. Most would just say that's part of the risks.
Jim, I held you in high esteem before.
After this it can't get much higher.
Glad you aren't hurt too bad and thanks for the report.
Heal quickly my friend!

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

May 11, 2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
Quote:
(I'll be taking care of his bike anyway but itís a lot easier parting with the money because I like Todd.)
Folks...there aren't too many people that would take care of another rider's bike if they caused that rider to crash. Most would just say that's part of the risks.
Heal quickly my friend!
+1 on Steve's comment, that's really generous of you. Glad to hear you are ok and I look forward to riding with you again.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#9)
Ballaugh Bridge

May 11, 2005, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
Quote:
Heal quickly my friend!

So true. That wasn't the case when I got taken out from behind by someone that had already lost it going into T1 at Summit. Dude didn't even apologize, was a total ass when I approached him.

Jim

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#10)
ISO a Sugar Mama

May 11, 2005, 06:31 PM

Glad to hear that you are ok Jim. Whew.

"Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us." Dragula.

Canon shooter
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Rolex006  
Unread
  (#11)
Brainwash Your Face!

May 11, 2005, 06:32 PM

Whoa Jim....glad you are still in one piece. Great right up, as usual.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#12)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
May 11, 2005, 06:37 PM

Props to Jim, hes one classy operator. Kudos my boy

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#13)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 11, 2005, 06:48 PM

I haven't had the pleasure of meet'n you as of yet Jim... but from read'n a ton of your posts, and all the knowledge and experience you have to share with everyone, especially this post... you are definitely my fock'n hero Jim!!

To think, with that crash under your belt, it makes you that much more of a better rider AND teacher. Glad to hear your ok, get well soon man.

RICO

'01 http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...GSXR750XK5.jpg

Ready at the drop of a spoon...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NiceTry Send a message via MSN to NiceTry  
Unread
  (#14)
old fat and slow

May 11, 2005, 06:50 PM

heal quick man ... tuitton sucks. see ya soon

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#15)
What's today? aah fuck it

May 11, 2005, 09:04 PM

Good to know its just your shoulder and palm, get some rest and get at it again!!

Good report too, that was very discriptive.